Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My negative attitude toward the use of electric cars has been tempered to some extent. R P got me to thinking on the subject in another thread.

The processes utilized in obtaining materials to build the batteries and their disposal create an environmental hazard just as the processes utilized in extracting, using and disposing of fossil fuels. However, rather than jumping on the train to ban fossil fuels and go all electric or to continue to extract and use fossil fuels and dis electric cars, it makes more sense take a middle of the road approach. Now here's my point. I have decided that for me and in considering the nature of my need for a car, an electric car would make more sense than what I have now. Since I retired, all I use a car for any more are short trips in town, e.g. Starbucks first thing every morning (8 miles round trip), 2 to 3 daily trips to Walmart and/or the grocer (4 miles round trip to each) and an occasional trip into Tulsa for dining and other such activities (40 miles round trip MAX). An electric car would be ideal and I wouldn't have to worry about carbon buildup in my GDI engine, the price of gas, emissions, oil changes etc. I drive to the Dallas area maybe 4 times a year MAX which equates to maybe 2K miles total. A car rental would be ideal for that.

I'm not trolling for a political discussion here. My frustration over GDI coupled with R P's comments just got me to thinking that maybe there's a better transportation option for me.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,846 Posts
My negative attitude toward the use of electric cars has been tempered to some extent. R P got me to thinking on the subject in another thread.

The processes utilized in obtaining materials to build the batteries and their disposal create an environmental hazard just as the processes utilized in extracting, using and disposing of fossil fuels. However, rather than jumping on the train to ban fossil fuels and go all electric or to continue to extract and use fossil fuels and dis electric cars, it makes more sense take a middle of the road approach. Now here's my point. I have decided that for me and in considering the nature of my need for a car, an electric car would make more sense than what I have now. Since I retired, all I use a car for any more are short trips in town, e.g. Starbucks first thing every morning (8 miles round trip), 2 to 3 daily trips to Walmart and/or the grocer (4 miles round trip to each) and an occasional trip into Tulsa for dining and other such activities (40 miles round trip MAX). An electric car would be ideal and I wouldn't have to worry about carbon buildup in my GDI engine, the price of gas, emissions, oil changes etc. I drive to the Dallas area maybe 4 times a year MAX which equates to maybe 2K miles total. A car rental would be ideal for that.

I'm not trolling for a political discussion here. My frustration over GDI coupled with R P's comments just got me to thinking that maybe there's a better transportation option for me.
We're thinking the same thing. OAK loves her Crosstrek and it's great for when we go on long trips to the wine country or into the mountains but it's really not appropriate for her 5 mile commute in LA traffic. When we replace the other car it will probably be with an EV of some sort.

Reactions: R P

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,373 Posts
Hey, Okie, remember all that torque in your Mustang, and smoking tires? You can do that with pretty well all the newer EVs, and even some of the older smaller ones, too. Check out this little Chevy Spark (Korean made). It has 400 lb-ft torque!! Goes like stink...
Be sure to watch the vid and see the reviewer's reaction. You should be able to get those dirt cheap down there. What's actually good about these is they have coolant controlled battery thermal management systems, so they don't get the battery degradation like some of the older EVs. Nissan Leafs are among the worst.

Even with my Kona EV, if I shut off the TSC, it will smoke the tires until over 40 mph. They are definitely fun to drive around town, and surprise the hell out of sports car drivers at a red light..

Of course I still need the Crosstrek, as a 2nd car, and for off road and longer trips. But the Kona is the primary car for around town. And oh, love all that free charging...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey, Okie, remember all that torque in your Mustang, and smoking tires? You can do that with pretty well all the newer EVs, and even some of the older smaller ones, too. Check out this little Chevy Spark (Korean made). It has 400 lb-ft torque!! Goes like stink...
Be sure to watch the vid and see the reviewer's reaction. You should be able to get those dirt cheap down there. What's actually good about these is they have coolant controlled battery thermal management systems, so they don't get the battery degradation like some of the older EVs. Nissan Leafs are among the worst.

Even with my Kona EV, if I shut off the TSC, it will smoke the tires until over 40 mph. They are definitely fun to drive around town, and surprise the hell out of sports car drivers at a red light..

Of course I still need the Crosstrek, as a 2nd car, and for off road and longer trips. But the Kona is the primary car for around town. And oh, love all that free charging...
OMG what fun! I'm sold. I would want more of a range for various reasons including the extended use of the AC during hot Oklahoma summers. However, I think I'd like to keep the Trek just to have another option and for my trips to Dallas or wherever. The flexibility would be nice.

Thanks for the link. I really think that my wife will be much much more receptive to my shopping for the EV as opposed to the Mustang GT (which causes her to raise her voice in contention). But she's a real sweetie! ?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Range is good for longer trips, and less often charging. My Kona is EPA rated at 258 miles and easy to exceed if you don't drive too fast or aggressively. Many of the other EVs (like Teslas) don't get their rated EPA range. Here is a real world test done by WhatCar.com, and you can compare the various cars. My Kona incidentally was the best. Here are the best top 5 for range.

But if you have a few bucks to spare and wants something with some class, too, this is your car. Not the highest range, but pretty adequate.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Range is good for longer trips, and less often charging. My Kona is EPA rated at 258 miles and easy to exceed if you don't drive too fast or aggressively. Many of the other EVs (like Teslas) don't get their rated EPA range. Here is a real world test done by WhatCar.com, and you can compare the various cars. My Kona incidentally was the best.
That's the range I'd want. There are plenty of posts on YouTube about why NOT to buy a Tesla. The Kona is a nice looking car! I think I'll poke around in the Tulsa area to check availability. KEY in this area would be its handling of the AC.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
That's the range I'd want. There are plenty of posts on YouTube about why NOT to buy a Tesla. The Kona is a nice looking car! I think I'll poke around in the Tulsa area to check availability. KEY in this area would be its handling of the AC.
Problem with the Kona EV is availability, only sold in CA and ZEV states. Even in Canada, if you pre-order one, need to wait until well into 2020 to get one.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts