Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CWP XV Ltd.
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2021 Limited. I'm used to clipping my 1980's technology Chamberlain three button remote onto my visor. But our visor is too thick! So where do you clip yours? I could obviously velcro and stick somewhere, but in the past, I've had issues with stick-on stuff coming undone on hot summer days, etc. Not looking for a fancy solution. Just. an easy and practical one ;) Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also can’t clip it in the sun visor because it’s thick too. The best spot for mine was clipped to the big manual cover in my glove box. It’s out of sight and it hasn’t been a pain to get to. However, the Ascent is the vehicle that is garage kept therefore I don’t have to use the controller that often.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
263 Posts
I used to put mine in a hidden spot, due to idiot thieves in the area breaking into cars, getting your address from your registration, and taking off with the GD opener.

I now have a 21 Limited where I can program the garage door code into the mirror.

·
Registered
2021 CWP XV Ltd.
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gee thanks. way to rub it in :(. I obviously don't have the home link button.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Gee thanks. way to rub it in :(. I obviously don't have the home link button.
Homelink with dimming mirror can be added to your car. Either as a DIY or by the dealer

Reactions: stupidchicken03

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the Homelink as well but also have 3 separate openers for other locations. I keep them in the compartment under the climate controls.
Definetly worth adding Homelink to your car.

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
208 Posts
I also clip mine to the assist handle above the drivers door

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,721 Posts
Hey, I knew this forum was not a total waste of my time. My hangar door remote does not work with Homelink and was always a PIA to fish it out of the below climate controls compartment when I needed it. And yes, the sun visor was too thick. So after reading this, ran out to the garage, and sure enough it fits perfectly in that handle above the door.

Thank you very much for this great tip. Sure wish I would have known this sooner.

·
Registered
'21 Limited
49 Posts
I wasn't meaning to rub it in. I thought they all had that function, ooops.

·
Super-Duper Moderator
742 Posts
For my wife's Impreza, I velcro'd it inside the door cubby. Far enough back only room for fingers to get in but allow space for other items.

For mine, I have one of those 'fancy' mirrors...

C.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,754 Posts
Fancy mirrors here as well. One of my jobs is to update all of them when our buildings' codes have to be changed...

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Prem Manual
30 Posts
That's funny. When I got the car I though to myself this is the thickest visor I've ever seen. I had to go clipless and rest it in the center compartment ahead of the shifter.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
250 Posts
would be ideal to modify the unit and use an external button to make the connection sited in an unused OEM blank button space if there was one?

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
241 Posts
OP, I see you've already come up with a nice solution but I'll still add what I did.

I clipped mine to the doorcard lower storage area. For it to stay nice and tight, I simply put a piece of foam between the back of the garage door opener and the inside of the storage area. The foam is just held in there by tension. It's not attached to either the opener or the car. If you use the storage area for larger items, then this idea may not be conducive for you. It can be slid further forward or backward according to your needs. So far, it's been fine for me and it's been about a year. Here are a couple of pictures to (hopefully) better show what I did.

By the way, I like yours and @HeyChris' velcro ideas! 👍

·
Registered
2021 CWP XV Ltd.
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP, I see you've already come up with a nice solution but I'll still add what I did.

I clipped mine to the doorcard lower storage area. For it to stay nice and tight, I simply put a piece of foam between the back of the garage door opener and the inside of the storage area. The foam is just held in there by tension. It's not attached to either the opener or the car. If you use the storage area for larger items, then this idea may not be conducive for you. It can be slid further forward or backward according to your needs. So far, it's been fine for me and it's been about a year. Here are a couple of pictures to (hopefully) better show what I did.

By the way, I like yours and @HeyChris' velcro ideas! 👍

View attachment 304032

View attachment 304033
Hey I appreciate that. I like this idea. If the summer heat makes my velcro pieces fall off, I'll have this as my Plan B. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
241 Posts
That's funny. When I got the car I though to myself this is the thickest visor I've ever seen. I had to go clipless and rest it in the center compartment ahead of the shifter.
I know! It's gotta be the thickest visor I've had in any of my previous or current cars.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts