Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first real problem on my 2018 Crosstrek. Drivers side window switch has, for third time, not worked when trying to RAISE the window. When window down I lift the switch to raise it, nothing. After a number of tries, with a bit of wiggling, 4X last attempt, it finally works. Anyone had this kind of problem on theirs? Presume a bad switch/connection.

Any advice as I expect at some point for the window not to raise at all if this is a developing problem.

I've checked the engine oil and it is fine so let's not go there.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My first real problem on my 2018 Crosstrek. Drivers side window switch has, for third time, not worked when trying to RAISE the window. When window down I lift the switch to raise it, nothing. After a number of tries, with a bit of wiggling, 4X last attempt, it finally works. Anyone had this kind of problem on theirs? Presume a bad switch/connection.

Any advice as I expect at some point for the window not to raise at all if this is a developing problem.

I've checked the engine oil and it is fine so let's not go there.
My MY18 developed a bad driver-side window switch. Same issues as you describe. I had it replaced under the warranty. Now that I think of it it could have been due to the O I L weight I was using at the time. I saw the error of my weights and haven't had the same issue since.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Anyone have experience replacing the drivers side window switch? Do I need any other tools than a ball peen hammer, crow bar and hacksaw?
You remove the door trim panel, starting at the top corner of the panel closest to the front end of the car.
There are 8 clips total.
Then remove the screws holding the switch in place.

I take it you're outside the 3 year warranty. Subaru has upgraded the switch on the 2018-20MY.
MC-10186436-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warranty ended a few weeks ago. That's some timing. Just finished a 1300 mile road trip taking me 1300 miles over my warranty as well. I looked on YouTube and found that the entire driver's door switch is one unit (about $145 bucks) and has to be replaced but it seems a bit awkward but doable. Nothing too complicated although I hate doing those upholstery/body plastic clips as I usually leave one not quite tight. Thanks for the Service Bulletin.

I'd go down and whine to the dealers but I don't particularly like the work the dealers (I've sampled) have shown me in any case so I think it's time for me to do the fixing. I'll just have to make sure to get the new improved part. Subaru admitting the "pivot point pin" is less than ideal for durability" is interesting but the car has been generally reliable otherwise. Originally I was going to a wrecker (you call them salvage yards) but it sounds as if the OEM part sucks and I'll get the new dealer part instead.

I plan to replace the window switch unit by beavering up to it though the oil pan...yes, that should work...wheres my acetylene wrench????

I'll keep my fire extinguisher at hand.

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,399 Posts
Warranty ended a few weeks ago. That's some timing. Just finished a 1300 mile road trip taking me 1300 miles over my warranty as well. I looked on YouTube and found that the entire driver's door switch is one unit (about $145 bucks) and has to be replaced but it seems a bit awkward but doable. Nothing too complicated although I hate doing those upholstery/body plastic clips as I usually leave one not quite tight. Thanks for the Service Bulletin.
If you are planning on doing this, several online dealers are offering an extra 20% off for the holiday until Monday night. Might as well take advantage.

83071FL690 looks to be the switch for the Limited model.

On the previous gen car, you had to remove the panel to get the switch out. Not sure about the '18+.

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are planning on doing this, several online dealers are offering an extra 20% off for the holiday until Monday night. Might as well take advantage.

On the previous gen car, you had to remove the panel to get the switch out. Not sure about the '18+.
Looks like the panel still has to come out. Odd that, the switch has finished breaking yet and still works most of the time, but then it just quits. Might as well fix it now. Thanks!

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Couldn't find labor cost or a 20% coupon anyway so I'll fix it. It seems there are so very few things I can fix on new cars and it appears to have unique plug/play arrangement so "I can't screw this up!" Like I said it's reassembling the little snap connectors so they don't rattle (I'll end up with a new Subaru model called the "Rattler") Take my time, get bigger hammer.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,355 Posts
Couldn't find labor cost or a 20% coupon anyway so I'll fix it. It seems there are so very few things I can fix on new cars and it appears to have unique plug/play arrangement so "I can't screw this up!"
I was noticing in the TSB that Subaru only allows the dealer .2 hour to effect the repair, so maybe it's not too difficult.

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The window switch part was sold to me at $215.68 a moment ago from San Rafael Subaru. Found another else where at a Subaru dealer for about $50 more than that. Wanted OEM, Improved parts if I'm going to get my hands dirty taking the door apart. I'll post after successful organ transplant.

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Subaru Dealers are given 0.2 hours to replace the drivers master window control switch under warranty. It took me 0.5 hours (for no known reason I cleaned the dust off of the inside door panel) and the job seemed straight forward. I give this repair an "Easy - Moderate" rating only for those who have never taken the door panels off before. If you've done door panels before it is "Easy" and you can do this repair in 0.25 hours if you include sipping on a Clausthaler Non-Alcoholic Beer (I have to drive in a bit.) I didn't even use my croquet mallet or come-a-long. New switches seem to work well with very little smoke, flame or metallic grinding after completion. Thanks for advice from all. The Service Bulletin was esp. helpful and I appreciate that. There were a couple unique changes from some of the YouTube videos, but they became obvious when door was opened up.

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My MY18 developed a bad driver-side window switch. Same issues as you describe. I had it replaced under the warranty. Now that I think of it it could have been due to the O I L weight I was using at the time. I saw the error of my weights and haven't had the same issue since.
It's ok as I have a pun cushion at home for posts like this.

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to see you got it fixed! A shame though that being a defective part you had to pay out of pocket to replace.
I've had a bunch of cars in my many years. I continue to be in awe of decently built cars, has never stopped amazing me after having some real turds (I'm talking to you Opel Manta!). At 37 K the Subaru has shown itself to be generally reliable and a good car. Still a shame that the piece broke but remarkable that Subaru has admitted it as a weak part. I may not buy another Subaru but it wont be due to reliability.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Really glad you got it fixed, but sorry you bought the whole assembly. The switch itself , at $61 USD, is still a gross figure for what it is

1 - 20 of 33 Posts