Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2018 Premium Crosstrek. On at least 3 occasions, the driver door has not opened on first couple of attempts - from the INSIDE. On one of these occasions, I had someone in the passenger seat and they were able to open that door. After trying the unlock and lock switch a couple of times, moving out of park to drive and back, it finally opened.

One of those things that would be hard to duplicate if I bring to dealer - but rather troubling when one wants to get out of the car. Has anyone else experienced this or have advice for fixing this?

Thank you,
Mainer

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,227 Posts
We've had a lot of issues locking and unlocking. It's hard to tell which ones are "user error" and which may be a problem with the new Crosstrek...

Welcome!

·
Registered
667 Posts
What happens if you manually cycle the door lock? Does it fix it?

When you pull the opener handle, does it feel like it's catching anything, or does it feel like it isn't doing anything (like when the door is locked)?

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
166 Posts
I had this problem with the passenger door not unlocking until after a few minute drive. I found that the inside manual locking tab (turns red when not locked) wasn't going all the way, either to full unlock (no red showing) or to open (full red showing). I'm not sure if this is accidently caused when opening the door from the inside using the handle, (hand / mitt/ glove touches the tab inadvertently) or if there is a defect. I tried spraying silicone on and behind the tab to see if that helps. We will know in a few days?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 base model Crosstrek and have had the same thing happen 3 different times since last Thursday. I've only had the car for 3 weeks.
For me, it seems to be weather related as it is always below freezing when the driver door won't unlock.
Won't unlock with keyless entry, physical key, or from inside car.
I had the car to the dealership this past Friday and they thought the drain in the door wasn't draining properly, which was leading to condensation in the door during the day and then essentially freezing the lock up overnight.
It happened again today, so I just dropped it off again.
They are going to keep it overnight and try to take a look at it first thing tomorrow morning.
Hopefully it doesn't unlock for them and they can figure out what is wrong. Climbing over seats to get in and out of my car is getting old!
If they figure it out, I'll post an update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also having this issue with passenger door on 2018 Crosstrek Ltd w/Eyesight. Door latch completely disfunctional from inside & out. Locking & unlocking seems normal but doesn’t fix problem. Has happened twice in a week & a half...2nd time was today. Both times temp was at or just below freezing. Car lives outside, humidity has been in 50% range & has not been washed recently. Will check & post when wife returns to see if it fixed itself when it got warm.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Lubing the locks when dry, both the key slot (even if you use/have the fob) as well as the latch itself. I use Archoil AR4400LP on locks, cables and latches. It contains hexagonal boron nitride that bonds to metal making the surface smoother reducing wear as well as preventing rust.

artosa

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you use the wurzite form of hexagonal boron nitride? I can't find that in my owner's manual.

I just bought a glass breaker from ebay.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You'd have to pose that question to Archoil, I don't know which version they use, but probably not wurzite. Not in owners' manual.

artosa

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having the same issue with the drivers door not unlocking on cold days. I've only had my 2019 Crosstrek for about a month and it's happened three times now, all in the morning when the temps have been in the 30's F. It's annoying as a mofo! Made a service appointment for this coming Sat. Funny enough they sent me this email yesterday. Feel like Subaru is just trolling me now :angry:
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
339 Posts
Something similar happened to me recently. Wife was driving, we made a quick stop and she likes to lock the doors when sitting in the car alone. When I got back to the car, the passenger door wouldn't unlock using the unlock button on the driver's door. After hitting lock/unlock a bunch of times she reached over and manually unlocked the passenger door from the inside. Temp wasn't that cold, probably mid 50's and it wasn't raining at the time. Hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Subaru 2019 crosstrek and my driver's door won't open either. Hasn't all weekend, it is very cold. This is awful as I have to climb over the console through the passenger side (key doesn't work), which is not easy nor fun. Good thing I am stretchy as I do yoga every day. But this is a new vehicle and I don't think should happen. I am over 60 years of ago. Not everyone can stretch as needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Subaru 2019 crosstrek and my driver's door won't open either. Hasn't all weekend, it is very cold. This is awful as I have to climb over the console through the passenger side (key doesn't work), which is not easy nor fun. Good thing I am stretchy as I do yoga every day. But this is a new vehicle and I don't think should happen. I am over 60 years of ago. Not everyone can stretch as needed.
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Take it to your dealer, explain the issue, and tell them to change the actuator. This has been a common enough problem they should be aware of it by now.

FYI, here's my post in another thread related to the issue: Model Year 2018 and Newer - Door Will Not Unlock

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Take it to your dealer, explain the issue, and tell them to change the actuator. This has been a common enough problem they should be aware of it by now.

FYI, here's my post in another thread related to the issue: Model Year 2018 and Newer - Door Will Not Unlock
[/QU

THANKS SO MUCH I WILL BE CALLING THEM TOMORROW!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts