Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,759 Posts
Who wants a 2x4 pressing into the roof lining of their car? Undoubtedly it would scuff the fabric and possibly leave a indent or worse….
You can top it with foam and a rubber waffle pad to minimize that, but I do agree that I probably wouldn't do that.

I would look for some other threaded hole that you can utilize. On mine, I believe the factory D rings are attached to a threaded hole in the body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi l. Not sure if this is really an appearance in body question but this seems like the right place to ask. I built a sleeping platform in my XV. Going on a 2-3mo road trip. Anyway, It is constructed out of plywood and 2 by fours. I removed the styrofoam That was around the wheel well so I could sit the 2 rear legs of the platform on the body of the car. Problem is that when I go over a speedbump or something those rear legs go "cathank". I'll be doing some overlanding so that needs to stop. Someone in a non-car related forum suggested simply drilling holes in the frame of the car and using L brackets to affix the wood legs to the car itself. It seems like people on here are regularly drilling into the body of the car to do different modifications on here. Is there any problem with doing that? I guess I'm wondering about structural integrity/safety. I would be sending a total of 4 sheet metal screws thru the metal body of the car, secured with locking nuts from underneath. Arrow shows where abouts they will go. View attachment 312181
I’m also building a sleeping platform in mine and I have a solution that may work. Based on the picture it looks like you may have some smaller existing holes accessible closer to the rear hatch (they’d be only a few inches from the plastic trim below the hatch and between the spare tire well and wheel wells and covered with black adhesive circles). They are there on mine although mine is a 2nd gen and I’ve removed all the plastic trim behind the rear door panels.

If they are there and accessible, I’m using well nuts to mount the base of my platform there. Since you want the platform to be easily removable, you would also either need to have the legs easily removable from the plywood’s base or find/make a bracket to attach the legs to the well nuts.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts