Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi l. Not sure if this is really an appearance in body question but this seems like the right place to ask. I built a sleeping platform in my XV. Going on a 2-3mo road trip. Anyway, It is constructed out of plywood and 2 by fours. I removed the styrofoam That was around the wheel well so I could sit the 2 rear legs of the platform on the body of the car. Problem is that when I go over a speedbump or something those rear legs go "cathank". I'll be doing some overlanding so that needs to stop. Someone in a non-car related forum suggested simply drilling holes in the frame of the car and using L brackets to affix the wood legs to the car itself. It seems like people on here are regularly drilling into the body of the car to do different modifications on here. Is there any problem with doing that? I guess I'm wondering about structural integrity/safety. I would be sending a total of 4 sheet metal screws thru the metal body of the car, secured with locking nuts from underneath. Arrow shows where abouts they will go.
Hood Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle Trunk

·
Registered
792 Posts
Doesn't the door of that platform also clunk around, or is it secured somehow?

Personal choice I guess, I don't think it would hurt anything as long as your screws are clear of any moving parts/wires/hoses etc. Not sure if holes in that area would elongate over time, since the sheet metal is rather thin.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
413 Posts
disclaimer - I have not looked at my car personally in this area to see if the portion you wish to drill into is structural or could have water leak issues…

My thought, as I understand where you’re coming from and have done similar mods in the past, would be to use a spring bolt attached to another drop down chunk of 2x4 and the compressing the spring to hook it into that existing hole in the frame as circled in this picture, which would draw it down nicely and prevent movement/sound, as well as be easily removed.

Bicycle part Nickel Gas Cylinder Auto part

Hood Wood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
416 Posts
If you feel a need to secure your platform you could run a nylon strap, rope, bungee cord, or similar under the spare tire and attach that to pad eyes mounted to your wood framework. If you wanted something really secure, you could use ratchets from tie down straps on both ends of the strap. As long as the spare tire is secure, it should all be secure and still be easily removable. If the issue is simply that you do not like the "cathank" sound, consider just using small pieces of carpet scraps to cushion where the wood frame is in contact with metal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
disclaimer - I have not looked at my car personally in this area to see if the portion you wish to drill into is structural or could have water leak issues…

My thought, as I understand where you’re coming from and have done similar mods in the past, would be to use a spring bolt attached to another drop down chunk of 2x4 and the compressing the spring to hook it into that existing hole in the frame as circled in this picture, which would draw it down nicely and prevent movement/sound, as well as be easily removed.

View attachment 312182
View attachment 312183
Oh that's interesting. So the threaded part of this slides out

View attachment 312182
View attachment 312183
Hmm ok so I would just feed the "L" shaped end into the existing hole (and yes there are 3 holes along there already that have a thin rubber cover over them), and screw the plate to the wood?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

View attachment 312182
View attachment 312183
Like this? (Pinkish line is the sheet metal of the car)
Line Font Tool Ratchet Electric blue

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't the door of that platform also clunk around, or is it secured somehow?

Personal choice I guess, I don't think it would hurt anything as long as your screws are clear of any moving parts/wires/hoses etc. Not sure if holes in that area would elongate over time, since the sheet metal is rather thin.
The door doesn't actually.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
719 Posts
Personally, I'd just get some strong two-sided tape like 3M VHB. It should hold it enough, with the help of gravity, to not make noise. Maybe put something heavy directly over it overnight to help "set it".

BTW, you must be a shorter guy. At 6'5" there's no way I could sleep back there! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally, I'd just get some strong two-sided tape like 3M VHB. It should hold it enough, with the help of gravity, to not make noise. Maybe put something heavy directly over it overnight to help "set it".

BTW, you must be a shorter guy. At 6'5" there's no way I could sleep back there! :ROFLMAO:
Haha I'm a woman and 5'2 so it works out 😆
Tape degrades, glues leave a mess, and neither is strong enough to stay functional if serious overlanding is constantly jiggling the bed frame.…
Yeah and also I'll be I'm the desert so hot = softens adhesives and such.

Haha I'm a short woman - 5'2. It will just work 😆
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Property Light Black Blue Azure

Haha I'm a short woman, 5'2. It will just w
Property Light Black Blue Azure

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

ork.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,007 Posts
Does this always stay in place? A construction glue would hold it in.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,007 Posts
No it will come out after my travels so can't be permanent.

So cut a board the length to wedge in between your construction and the roof so that thing has no room to bounce up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts