Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum, this morning I went to my car, opened the hatch to put my bags in, closed it and went to open the driver's side door. When I went to open it, my car beeped and flashed lights 3 times and wouldn't open. I tried again, 3 beeps with lights and won't open.
I went back to the hatch to make sure it closed properly.. it did. I tried unlocking with the key button and the car registered that it is unlocked. Reached to open the door and same thing, 3 beeps with lights. I was able to open the rear doors and the passenger door. I finally gave up and just climbed to the drivers seat through the passenger side.
Once I was in, I could not manually unlock the door either. Neither with the thumb lock or the door buttons. The door was stuck in the locked position on the thumb lock. I could't push it to unlock. Started the car and drove to work. Once I was at work, I clicked unlock on the door itself and it unlocked and worked normally.

Has anyone faced an issue like this? It was ~25 degrees F out so below freezing but I've open the doors when it's been colder. Just wanted to pick your brains. Thanks!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,227 Posts
Hey forum, this morning I went to my car, opened the hatch to put my bags in, closed it and went to open the driver's side door. When I went to open it, my car beeped and flashed lights 3 times and wouldn't open. I tried again, 3 beeps with lights and won't open.
I went back to the hatch to make sure it closed properly.. it did. I tried unlocking with the key button and the car registered that it is unlocked. Reached to open the door and same thing, 3 beeps with lights. I was able to open the rear doors and the passenger door. I finally gave up and just climbed to the drivers seat through the passenger side.
Once I was in, I could not manually unlock the door either. Neither with the thumb lock or the door buttons. The door was stuck in the locked position on the thumb lock. I could't push it to unlock. Started the car and drove to work. Once I was at work, I clicked unlock on the door itself and it unlocked and worked normally.

Has anyone faced an issue like this? It was ~25 degrees F out so below freezing but I've open the doors when it's been colder. Just wanted to pick your brains. Thanks!
Others in freezing conditions have reported this. I'm concerned about it, too, as when we go up into the mountains we sometimes have to dig the cars out the next morning.

What were the conditions when you last used the car? Could rain have gotten into the door mechanism and frozen?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same thing happened to me..very confusing & frustrating...had to resort to taking the key out of the fob to get in the car. Do not feel that it was a "freezing" issue....rather more of an electrical glitch.
Have not been able to re-create...but to be honest, not in a hurry to do so anyways. I am now careful using the fob. Just added a remote starter that utilizes the fob...that may play into it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
sounds like the same issue i had but on the front passenger side - see vid below. it occured a few times since the temps were below freezing but once it was above 30s it worked fine.

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
166 Posts
I had the same issue a month ago. I had left the car out overnight and it was below freezing the next morning. The passenger door wouldn't open with the fob or the drivers door unlock button. I discovered that the small manual lock/unlock button adjacent to the inside door handle (shows red when open and black when locked) was not in either the lock or unlock position, but halfway. It appeared to have been accidently moved to the half-way position by a heavy mitten when the door was last opened from the inside. Moving that manual locking button to the full open or closed position fixed the problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK, not good that it's happening to all of you, but good that I'm not the only one. Yes, it was a below freezing night, but DejaBlu has been through colder ones. Even trying the physical key wouldn't get me in to the drivers door, but the back and passenger doors opened fine, so yeah, I as well had to crawl over. It still wouldn't unlock from inside right away, but once I got to my destination it was fine. I hope this doesn't become a regular issue!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same thing happen with my Crosstrek 3 times in the past week. Every time temperature was below freezing.
Had it to the dealership Friday and of course it unlocked fine by the time the tech took it. They thought the door drain wasn't draining properly, causing condensation in the door during the day and then freezing the lock up at night.
They cleaned it all out and made sure nothing was clogged, but then I had the same thing happen yesterday. Took it back to dealership and left it there overnight as they wanted to deal with it this morning, hoping they could take a look at it while the door wasn't unlocking.
Climbing over my passenger seat to get in and out of my car is getting old! Only have had the car for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it back to dealership and left it there overnight as they wanted to deal with it this morning, hoping they could take a look at it while the door wasn't unlocking.
Keep us posted please!

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,340 Posts
Keep us posted please!
Second this as I am about to take delivery of my new 2018 in the next 10 Days, what ever Dealer finds and fixes I will be able to forward
to my selling dealer, at the very least a PIR CAN AND SHOULD be filled in and reported back to Subaru, if enough vehicles affected
it might be enough to Generate a TSB so Others Will Not have to Climb over seats any longer.

Lets hope it is just something minor :icon_cool:

I know years past of issues like this with an Old Dodge Omni hatchback:sFun_rottentomato:

Troutbum

·
Registered
104 Posts
well it happened again yesterday when the temperature was around the 30s. i left the car on with heater and when i got back it worked again. something is definately freezing over internally that is causing this. with the few weeks remaining with winter i hope this resolves itself with the temps heating up during the summer time and before winter 2018.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,227 Posts
well it happened again yesterday when the temperature was around the 30s. i left the car on with heater and when i got back it worked again. something is definately freezing over internally that is causing this. with the few weeks remaining with winter i hope this resolves itself with the temps heating up during the summer time and before winter 2018.
I guess it could also be electronic - some component that doesn't operate properly below a certain temperature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I just bought my 2019 crosstrek on 12/13/2018, and I've been having the same problem on cold mornings with just the driver's side door. I'm getting too old to climb over the center console, so one morning, I just stood out by my car waiting for it to warm up enough for the door to unlock. It seriously took 25 minutes. I have an appointment with Subaru to look at it tomorrow, so I'll check back in after I find out if there's a solution.

Update 01/09/2019: the dealership called me back today, and said that they need to order a new "Door Actuator." The new part won't be here for a few weeks, but I will let y'all know how it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone, I just bought my 2019 crosstrek on 12/13/2018, and I've been having the same problem on cold mornings with just the driver's side door. I'm getting too old to climb over the center console, so one morning, I just stood out by my car waiting for it to warm up enough for the door to unlock. It seriously took 25 minutes. I have an appointment with Subaru to look at it tomorrow, so I'll check back in after I find out if there's a solution.

Update 01/09/2019: the dealership called me back today, and said that they need to order a new "Door Actuator." The new part won't be here for a few weeks, but I will let y'all know how it works.
Hi all! Newbie Crosstrek owner here. This is all good info. I picked up my 2019 Crosstrek on Dec 6th and a few days later encountered this issue with the drivers door not unlocking while the rest of the doors and hatch all unlocked just fine. It hasn't happened again so I blew it off as a new car kink. Well, it happened again this morning (temps at 32F) and took ~20 minutes before the car was warmed up enough for the door to unlock, making me late for work. I tried with all my might reaching across from the passenger's seat to unlock the drivers door to no avail. Frickin' thing wouldn't budge!

Can you imagine being up skiing/snowboarding all day and coming back having to deal with this? Or some emergency where you can't get into or out of your vehicle? Unacceptable! Guess it's time to make a service appointment...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my new door actuator installed on Monday, 01/21/2019, and so far, so good. Temps have been below 10F, and it's now functioning the way it should. TFG it was all covered by the warranty. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's great to hear it was something simple. I took mine in last Saturday, temp was about 52F, and after waiting around for an hour was told, "We can't replicate the issue." Bunch of geniuses, those guys! They won't do any troubleshooting unless they can experience the issue themselves, so I have to wait and monitor the weather forecast and hope the temps drop again. Then if/when they do, take the car back to them the night before.

Hey kjm030584, any chance you can tell me what dealership you used for the repair? I'd like to have my dealership here in Seattle call them and pick their brain about the issue. Thanks!

EDIT/UPDATE: 07-FEB-2019 TL/DR = Dealer replaced the actuator and that seems to have fixed it!

So after going round and round with the dealership and Subaru of America and having them tell me they've never even heard of this problem before, and then me sending the dealer videos of the drivers door not opening on back to back mornings making me late for work, the dealer finally had me just leave the car with them and take a loaner. The temps eventually dropped again and they were able to replicate the issue, which resulted in them replacing the actuator. It was in the 20F's yesterday when I picked up the car and the door worked as it should, and then this morning it was about 18F and again the door worked fine, so that seems to have fixed it.

What's funny is when I went to drop off my car my Service Rep wasn't there, but the other Service Rep I dealt with told me he was dealing with two customers that were having the same issue on their Crosstreks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my '14 Crosstrek Premium, I've had a "lazy" left rear door lock actuator for several weeks now. This has occurred In cold weather (it doesn't freeze much in SE Texas, as well as in hot weather. It unlocks along with the rest of the doors intermittently when using the "unlock" button on the key. It always unlocks when using the lock "lever" by the rear door handle.

Sometimes it does unlock using the key remote, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't unlock, I can sometimes lock all of the doors using the key's "lock" button, and then have the left rear door unlock normally using the key lock button; but sometimes this doesn't work. If it doesn't unlock by hand after a couple of tries, I open the driver's door and reach back and unlock the left rear door by hand.

I think it's the actuator, and I may just replace it myself.

·
Registered
'19 Crosstrek Limited, White Pearl
43 Posts
I realize that this is an older post, but I am going to revive it as I have had something similar to my car. Note that the car has about 12500 miles on it ('19 Limited). I will hit the unlock button on the fob and lights come on, I can hear the locks. I try and open the drivers side rear door and it wont budge. I reach in the drivers door, and press the unlock button and it unlocks the door. This has happened 3 times now; once when the car was warm (50 deg f outside temp and dry), and twice in the early morning when it was crispy (mid 30's and dry.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I realize that this is an older post, but I am going to revive it as I have had something similar to my car. Note that the car has about 12500 miles on it ('19 Limited). I will hit the unlock button on the fob and lights come on, I can hear the locks. I try and open the drivers side rear door and it wont budge. I reach in the drivers door, and press the unlock button and it unlocks the door. This has happened 3 times now; once when the car was warm (50 deg f outside temp and dry), and twice in the early morning when it was crispy (mid 30's and dry.)
Go to your local dealership and pull up this thread. Then have them replace the actuator. I'd think most Subaru dealers know about this issue by now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts