Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PYP Sport on order 🤨
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like some sort of appliqué should be available for the Crosstrek now that Subaru has implemented this design element “to reduce glare” on wilderness package models. Anyone doing it yet?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm sure any competent graphics person could make you anything for the hood.

As for reducing glare, hardly with such a narrow strip. While I do like some vehicles with a hood stripe or blacked out, this is a huge miss and looks terrible. :poop:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that Subaru’s claim of reducing glare is pretty flimsy, but I think it looks 👍

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think the whole car looks nasty in the Wilderness trim. Hopefully they do better when the Crosstrek version comes out.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
313 Posts
It seems like some sort of appliqué should be available for the Crosstrek now that Subaru has implemented this design element “to reduce glare” on wilderness package models. Anyone doing it yet?
View attachment 307498
I would have thought glare on the bonnet (affecting the driver) is dependent on the angle of the sun. Plus most drivers can't even see the bonnet (in most modern cars). Plus Plus the strip is in the middle, not in front of the driver. And since when does glare only happen in the wilderness o_O.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This thread kind of went in different direction than I intended. i consider Subaru’s even mentioning glare off the hood thing to be absolutely ridiculous. I assumed my (apparently too subtle) quotation marks in the original question would be an appropriate tell.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a vinyl shop to design my hood patch with my input. I didn't want it as long as the outback and from my seating positing you don't really see all of the hood. Any flat black vinyl will do fine.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
445 Posts
Contributing to being off-topic... uise polarized sunglasses!

As for reducing glare, hardly with such a narrow strip. While I do like some vehicles with a hood stripe or blacked out, this is a huge miss and looks terrible. :poop:
It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.. they've started looking a bit too good over the past few years.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
711 Posts
I don't get the hood glare thing. My Crosstrek is white and I get more glare from the windshield road film than the hood.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,347 Posts
Same - I have no issue with hood glare. I live in a pretty sunny state.

On the other hand, I know a Jeep owner who really likes the black on her hood of her Trailhawk. So I know for some folks it's more about show than go.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If under or driving towards the sun, the angle of the hood could reflect it directly into the cabin. Blemishes, scratches and driving angle can exaggerate it. From there, the windshield refracts it with moderate predictability, if the glass is pristine.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Water Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

Regardless, sun glare only has a small attack vector, about 5x3", so most won't notice it, ever. Other than being effective for this purpose, I feel like matte black on the hood is gimmicky and intended to compete with Jeep's styling, for those who think they can take a Subaru rock climbing, or want the look of being able to do it, but don't want an overpriced vehicle that secretly wishes it was made into a toaster instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts