Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
801 - 820 of 839 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 · (Edited)
You need a trenching tool why?
In case I need to make a fire break, of course :LOL:
Being in Cali, I figured that was why @AstroKats carried it, until I saw the end.

I was at Princess Auto because I wanted the hatchet, to go with my magnesium fire starter. I ran into the shovel and pickaxe and thought why not. I was powerless; they’re all blue and look great as a set. Plus, toys!

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
Our "firebreak is the surrounding city of Los Angeles. A LOT of houses would have to burn down before a wildfire got anywhere near us. We had two friends lose houses in wildfires in Malibu recently, though.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
I remember you mentioning one a little while back. We’re lucky that wildfires are rare around here. We have regular tornadoes, now.

I got my organizer shovel/pickaxe/hatchet clamps in place. I found some great cargo straps at Sail. Foolishly, I only got two sets. The last holes are prepped and I’ll pick up a third set this week.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
Finished my organizer today. Might cut the straps back, but will probably leave them as is, looping them underneath.

I tossed in a folding knife, a small compass, and once I repair the driver, I’ll have a small socket set with screwdriver bits safely tucked away.

I also replace my little side marker bulb; finally, it’s only been 8-10 months?

And now to try out my new straight razor.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,725 Posts
I know a guy in New York refurbishing straight razors if you need a connection.,...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #806 ·
I know a guy in New York refurbishing straight razors if you need a connection.,...
Nice. I knew of a guy in Montreal, but he was expensive so I learned to do it myself. I've partially restored about a dozen blades, but haven't replaced any scales, or re-pinned any, yet.

For the last five years or so, I've periodically sought a set of age-appropriate replacement scales for a lovely two piece Wade & Butcher from about the 1860's (below, bottom right). I should give up and get something nice.

Terrible picture, it’s my main storage/display case. I built it and yes, it’s lit. The door hides the lighting strip when closed but you guys don’t want to see my goofy reflection.

Top row (L>R): My first (2004 or so); bought at George Trumper’s in London UK (2008).
Second row: Donated by my old boss (he got it in Germany, late 80’s and was too scared to use it); my wife got this one for Christmas 2016.
Third row (L): My weekend purchase
All 5 of these are in my rotation for semi-regular use.

The rest are the best of my antique shop and estate sale hunting. I have about 30, including my second youngest that was WWI US issue. My aunt mailed me my newest from antique store find that turned out to be from the 1970’s. I think I used that one to prop a table somewhere, lol. I still regret not getting two; a beautiful Wade & Butcher found at an antique store in PA ($400 USD) and one that had its scales made from Siberian wooly mammoth tusk (£4-6,000 range, if I remember right). Sigh… I can be so cheap at times; I’d go back in a heartbeat, if I could.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
Booooo; my fuse door storage cubby popped open while driving, I didn't notice and took a good chunk of the corner out with my knee when I got out. New one has already shipped from China.

I looked for anything else I can order with it, for fun, but found nothing I wanted. No new car toys, accessories, decals or lights; nothing. I must be getting old.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
Booooo; my fuse door storage cubby popped open while driving, I didn't notice and took a good chunk of the corner out with my knee when I got out. New one has already shipped from China.
Hmmm, I'll have to look out for that. Ours seems to close quite tightly.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #809 ·
Hmmm, I'll have to look out for that. Ours seems to close quite tightly.

I think I just didn't close it properly after checking the mail box. It was not the first time.

·
He wasn't there!
1,725 Posts
I've thought of that, but couldn't think of what I would use it for.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
Reactions: Cutlass

·
He wasn't there!
1,725 Posts
We keep change in there for parking meters.

I pretty much never have to use those. When I do, I have some change in the tray for the center console.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
I pretty much never have to use those. When I do, I have some change in the tray for the center console.
Parking around here is insane. Our condo has underground parking but some of the commercial rentals don't and the street parking is either by permit or metered. Basically, having a car here, or visiting in a car, is discouraged.

What else would you like to chat about while we're hijacking @Doca's thread...? 😸

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #814 ·
I've thought of that, but couldn't think of what I would use it for.
I keep my post box key in it. I used to keep a spare house key in there as well, in case the power was out when I returned, but I've since moved it to a more discrete place.

@AstroKats -
I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a parking meter that accepts coin. Virginia 2015, I think.
Nothing wrong with tactical threadjacking, but now Gary is all worked up and waxing his bats.

·
He wasn't there!
1,725 Posts
Some places have replaced coin meters with electronic ones. That's the only kind I've used recently.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
Some places have replaced coin meters with electronic ones. That's the only kind I've used recently.
A lot of ours, especially in the busy downtown area, have been replaced with hybrids that will take coins or a credit card. I just like having coins in the car in case I encounter one that only takes coins.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
A lot of ours, especially in the busy downtown area, have been replaced with hybrids that will take coins or a credit card. I just like having coins in the car in case I encounter one that only takes coins.
Ha, ha, just noticed this in the LA Times (another opportunity to hijack Doca's thread):

9. Carry loose change in your car’s cup holder
The slight delay it takes parking meters to process a credit card is an unnecessary time suck, and coins give you better control over the exact amount of time you want.

Around here, with nickels and dimes you can get, say, 5 or 10 mins to drop off a package or whatever. With a card it's by the half hour.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 ·
Lol, I carry a $10 bill in case I suddenly want to stop at a chip truck.

I've seen a few credit card accepting meters, but not around here. We have a lot of pay and display kiosks; most take credit cards, coin and bills, but they're not the same as meters.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #819 ·

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
Kody, finishing off some calamari. He's a very big cat now. Just sayin...

801 - 820 of 839 Posts