Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

641 - 660 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
Not "Fronkenshtine"? It has been a long time since my high school German... ?

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,042 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #643
@Cutlass I knew someone would catch that ?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Apparently @AstroKats isn't old enough for that reference. ?

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Well, it was originally a novel published in England in 1818. Anyone here that old? What kind of Subaru were you driving... ?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well, it was originally a novel published in England in 1818. Anyone here that old? What kind of Subaru were you driving... ?

It was a Mel Brooks movie released in 1974...

Reactions: Rod H

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #647
Novel? That’s some sort of terrible software company, right?
Lol, the guy who started the company that became Subaru, Nihon Hikoki, wasn’t even born for another 66 years.

Apparently @AstroKats isn't old enough for that reference. ?
...released in 1974...
Its got 4 years on me but I’m weird.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #648
Fun time at the service department, yesterday. Got my 3 recalls (brake hose, PCV and ECU), 50k service and a couple of oil filters to keep aside for when I install my Fumoto this fall.

I wonder how the Subaru OEM filters stack up to others but at $9.95 CAD, I can’t complain when the only cheaper one I’ve quickly found is the standard Motomaster @ $6.50. I don’t mind spending the extra few bucks until I find my ”go to brand”.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #649

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #650
Interesting. Over the air updates will wipe radio and driver profile memory and, it specifically says not to share the tsb with customers.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Dated January 28, 2020 for a firmware version released in March 2019...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
Dated January 28, 2020 for a firmware version released in March 2019...
Lol, yeah (oops, missed the “2”). Anyway, I enjoyed the read.

Hey, AK. I’ve been reading about oil grades; did you ever make the switch to 0w-30? If yes, what’s your opinion?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sending good karma over....

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Lol, yeah (oops, missed the “2”). Anyway, I enjoyed the read.

Hey, AK. I’ve been reading about oil grades; did you ever make the switch to 0w-30? If yes, what’s your opinion?
That will be at the two and a half year service this summer. The first four were free at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #655 (Edited)
That will be at the two and a half year service this summer. The first four were free at the dealer.
I hope I remember to ping some feedback from you. I’ll be keeping 0-20 for my next change but I’m very interested in experience for my winter/spring change.

There are so many choices of oil, I feel kinda like a little kid lost in a world of wonder. I’m trying to read up but we have grades, ratings, temperature fluidity, msds, manufacture claims and all sort of stuff I just can’t seem to grasp or group enough to make a solid decision and I’m getting confused.

Why does one brand flow differently than others of the same grade, which number is better and which are more important, additives.... additives???

Why not use a 0w-40 or even a 0w-50 year round, that 10w-60 looks pretty inviting, and why would we stick to a 5w-whatever for summer or areas of high heat/severe driving conditions? Why would anyone south of 40° use anything less than SAE 30 or even 40 as you keep going south? Heck, in summer I can easily run SAE 40 according to ⬆. Finally, why would Subaru say it’s ok to use 5w-30 conventional for top ups; it that like the most opposite end of the recommended spectrum and therefore anything with better stats that 5w-30 dino-juice is a win?

My usual approach to this has failed but I’m not starting a new oil thread.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
30 weights have a lower max temp than i would have thought.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Here in Santa Monica, it's rarely over 85F and rarely under 50F. We've had road trips through Palm Springs when it was over 120F and in the mountains around here when it was 13F overnight but that's a tiny fraction of the time the engine is running or being started cold. I'll be doing some research before the next service so I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,308 Posts
I hope I remember to ping some feedback from you. I’ll be keeping 0-20 for my next change but I’m very interested in experience for my winter/spring change.

There are so many choices of oil, I feel kinda like a little kid lost in a world of wonder. I’m trying to read up but we have grades, ratings, temperature fluidity, msds, manufacture claims and all sort of stuff I just can’t seem to grasp or group enough to make a solid decision and I’m getting confused.

Why does one brand flow differently than others of the same grade, which number is better and which are more important, additives.... additives???

View attachment 299106

Why not use a 0w-40 or even a 0w-50 year round, that 10w-60 looks pretty inviting, and why would we stick to a 5w-whatever for summer or areas of high heat/severe driving conditions? Why would anyone south of 40° use anything less than SAE 30 or even 40 as you keep going south? Heck, in summer I can easily run SAE 40 according to ⬆. Finally, why would Subaru say it’s ok to use 5w-30 conventional for top ups; it that like the most opposite end of the recommended spectrum and therefore anything with better stats that 5w-30 dino-juice is a win?

My usual approach to this has failed but I’m not starting a new oil thread.
I wouldn't use that old generic chart for our engines. The Crosstrek manual recommends 0W-20 right up to 40C+ outside temps. Highest is 5W-30, and have never seen a recommended weight above 30. These engines were designed for thin oil, and going up higher than 30 weight could cause problems. 0W-30 is a better choice, too, if you want a heavier weight as stated by Subaru Japan.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
I wouldn't use that old generic chart for our engines. The Crosstrek manual recommends 0W-20 right up to 40C+ outside temps. Highest is 5W-30, and have never seen a recommended weight above 30. These engines were designed for thin oil, and going up higher than 30 weight could cause problems. 0W-30 is a better choice, too, if you want a heavier weight as stated by Subaru Japan.
The only reason I'm considering a change is the potential for making the engine a little quieter, that I have read about here. I'll take it to the independent mechanic we've been using for over ten years for the next service. I'm done with crawling under cars to change oil, LOL. Out of curiosity, I just called him and FWIW he said he would recommend 5W-20. His shop specializes in higher end European brands (Audi, BMW, Porsche, etc) which is how I found him originally but he serviced our Lexus IS300 and Honda Accord for years.

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #660
The thing is, it’s not a old generic chart. Maybe that specific one is but it’s the same data as any other I’ve found and I’ve seen nothing that says they’ve their grade criteria . However, I’m more than buying in on the engines being designed for 0w-20 but manufactures can’t recommend a variety and service bays don’t want to have to store several drums of different grades. While the 0 is great for winter months, its pointless from mid Jun through mid Sep when the sun rises around 20°C.

That said, I do agree that going heavier than x-30 might not be a great idea. I just want know why.

—Gotta go!

641 - 660 of 689 Posts