Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a '21 Limited a week ago and I've already hit 1,000 miles (two long trips). I've read you should change the oil after the first 1,000 miles - true or not? The salesman said something about using OEM filters for warranty - is that necessary? Also, any particular brand of oil to keep the warranty covered? This is my first new car so the warranty thing is foreign to me!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use Subaru filters but it is not required. Use the classifications and grade of oil spec'd in your manual and you'll be fine.

You can buy 6 or 12 factory filters & plug gaskets cheap online. Amazon 0w-20 full synth oil tests well and meets spec. Buy in 5 qt bottles and you're good to go. Just keep good records of your maintenance in accordance with the intervals spec'd in your manual for your use condition.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,174 Posts
Welcome! You will meet many incredibly clever folks on this site. There are a number of opinions on oil/filters and how often. I believe there is general agreement that at a minimum you should always use the recommended type of oil/filter and time/distance listed in your manual.

You don't even have to open the glove box as the documents are online:

Take a look at pages 28 and 29 for recommended intervals.

Oil type is Synthetic 0W-20 oil meeting "SN" or "SN Plus" specs.

There's plenty of information in the manual. Useful suggestions, like don't change your oil while driving and don't let the hood fall on your head are probably in there as well

I think we all agree that you can use any oil and any filters that meet Subaru specs as long as you can state truthfully that the work was completed under their requirements with equal to or better materials.

Some here believe that there should be a break in oil change not listed in the manual. Other's not so much. Hope this helps to generally start you off on your quest of taking care of your car.

I've learned a lot about oil and filters while on this forum.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
210 Posts
I do an early oil change. At 2000km. Clear out some of the run-in metal dust fragments. I use Subaru OEM filters. Online you can find them cheap. Agree with comments made by @Raleighmclemore. But I use the Subaru OEM oil in Australia which is Castrol Edge Professional Fuel Saver 0w-20. I posted pictures of the oil a few weeks back.

·
Registered
339 Posts
0w-20 full synthetic any well known brand will be fine.
I did a video the other day for changing the oil on the FB20. This is the old gen but it is nearly identical to the newer models if you want a heads up on how to do everything. It’s super easy on these cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got two years of dealer oil changes with my Sport, so I just drove gently (no hard acceleration) for the first 1,500 miles or so. My first oil change was on schedule at 6,000mi.

I’ve changed oil early in previous vehicles, and also not, and couldn’t tell an appreciable difference in engine performance or longevity with either approach. Not saying other opinions aren’t valid, just adding my voice to the mix...

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,183 Posts
Oh another oil thread. If you want to see all of us argue about it there are a bunch of other threads on the topic.

regarding warranty: Google the magnusson moss warranty act. essentially, they can't make you use their oil and filters to get the warranty. They'd have to show that the oil or filter you used caused the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting! Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the Subaru filters since they actually seem pretty reasonably priced. I just picked up 2, 5-quart jugs of 0W-20 full synthetic oil at Costco (Kirkland Signature brand) for $26.99. Anyone objections to that? Haha.

Thanks for info about Magnuson-Moss, did not know that!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Interesting! Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the Subaru filters since they actually seem pretty reasonably priced. I just picked up 2, 5-quart jugs of 0W-20 full synthetic oil at Costco (Kirkland Signature brand) for $26.99. Anyone objections to that? Haha.

Thanks for info about Magnuson-Moss, did not know that!
i have 4500 miles on my sport. i'll probably do my first oil change at 7k miles because that's also a good interval to rotate tires. at some point i'll switch to 10k miles for oil change

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just picked up 2, 5-quart jugs of 0W-20 full synthetic oil at Costco (Kirkland Signature brand) for $26.99.
Manufactured by Warren Distribution.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,174 Posts
Might as well mention this now as well. There are a few devices that screw in to your oil pan replacing your drain plug and making oil changes even easier than they already are on the stock car. I use a Stahlbus Valve and I would reckon many more of those on this Forum use a Fumoto Valve to make draining the oil from the Crosstrek even easier during an oil change. There are others as well.

It's pretty easy to reach under and find the right drain plug without these valves, just make sure you keep your hands and wrench off of the transaxle drain plug which is easier to see than the slightly hidden oil drain plug at first glance and wrong to use if draining your oil is what you want to do.

The aftermarket valves make it super easy to drain the pan without the incredibly thin oil splashing all over the place. My last oil change time was taken up entirely by waiting for the oil to drain as the oil filter is right at hand right-side up (unless you are in Australia:)) and the Stahlbus valve is simply a plug and drain doo dad that makes life easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts