Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Rainger grab handles in on Friday and installed them over the weekend. They are straps wrapped in paracord, I chose all black, but they have numerous colors to pick from.

Here are the steps I took to install mine.

First you have to remove the OEM handles. I forgot to snap a pic or two of them in the car, so I did it after.
All I did was take a small flat head screw driver and pressed/twisted it in on each side of the plastic caps. The caps will become lose where they can slide in/out. From there, you can basically pull the handles out of the roof.

The kit comes with all the hardware, but I did end up going to my local hardware store to pick up some extra washers to make it a bit easier.
The anchors slide up into the roof of the car, and you slide the base up and it acts somewhat like a zip-tie. You would need to rotate the entire thing to get the base to site horizontal with the opening, but there is not enough room in the cavity for the metal anchor to rotate. So I would get something looking like this:

It was a bit lose, and not super secure. So this is where the new washers I picked up came into play.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here you can see the anchor with zip-tie base on the right The black washer on bottom comes with the kit, the metallic washer up top is what I added.
The one I added is the same outer diameter as the ones that came, but the inner diameter is larger. It is just large enough to slide over the metal anchor and to sit perfectly around the base of the zip (you can see one on there is the picture below)

So I would be this combination of these, my washer, strap, black washer. Followed by a small hard rubber washer and the bolt.

Here is what they look like when first set into place. You zip up the base and they keep the washer in place against the roof.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I would suggest to anyone that will be doing this to take advantage of the removal of the grab handles to install some sound deadening insulation (not necessarily a Dynamat materal where you have to stick it to the surface but more like a thin 1/2" piece of dense foam) between the liner and the chassis. You'll be amazed how much quieter it is when it rains! And how much more even the temperature is during hot and cold spells.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interesting! I love little mods like this. I'm too tall and would hit my head on those everytime I enter and exit though :grin:

·
Registered
2017 Smurf Blue Crosstrek Limited
49 Posts
Anyone put these on the headrests? I had a set on my Xterra, they really helped my toddler when climbing in the back seat. Thinking of picking up another set for my Crosstrek since I forgot to take them out of my Xterra when I traded it in. :cautious:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone put these on the headrests? I had a set on my Xterra, they really helped my toddler when climbing in the back seat. Thinking of picking up another set for my Crosstrek since I forgot to take them out of my Xterra when I traded it in. :cautious:
Hmmm thats not a bad idea!

Did you put the metal posts from the headrest through the metal attachment points (where they bolt to the roof)?

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
61 Posts
Bummer. Might just get some desert camo paracord and wrap the OE handles and call it a day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would love to install these in my Trek...simple yet super noticeable change. Are there any other small mods like this available for our cars?? I'd love to get a little more outdoorsy on the inside

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
61 Posts
Raingler also makes badass cargo nets for inside the car that go along the ceiling. They can get pretty pricey tho if you go all out with them. Around $300+ with shipping i believe but you can go minimalistic for less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Definitely Lance. I have no use for cargo nets at the moment, just love the look of these grand handles. Would love to see more interior mods / unique plans

1 - 15 of 15 Posts