Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn’t sure if this should go here or in the off-road thread.

Anybody ever install a Differential Breather Extension on a Subaru? As I explore more I do find myself in the water every now and then. While I still haven’t had any concern of water in the intake I am a bit concerned with the drivetrain. Should I be? And if so what solutions are out there?

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
481 Posts
Never did a scuba mod on a Subaru but have on a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. I ran tubing from the diff's to the engine bay firewall with a breather at the end. Worked great.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Boy I come from the aftermarket parts industry and have been modifying rigs forever. We do breather relocations all the time and re-route breathers on various rigs- Jeeps and Toyotas primarily. Breathers are often a source of pinion seal leaks at the diffs and it's amazing what you find even in new rigs off the lot. I run the Jeep in water at times-not intentionally looking for it but dealing with it when the need arises depending on where the trail runs. Typically getting the breathers up to the fuel door location or high on firewall in engine bay is more than enough as if you're in water that deep, you're pretty much screwed anyway. Thinking on it, I'd not want the Subaru in any kind of water that deep to need relocating the breathers. Typically most manufacturers have breathers located on top of trans or t-case near bell housing locations. I'm not sure where they're at in the Crosstrek exactly but I'd definitely not want to be in water that deep in this car. I've been in water deep enough with enough current to float the Jeep off course into sketchy scenario but it's highly modified with lockers, low range, winch, pull pal, etc. it's par for the course. Not interested in the least in putting the Crosstrek in that type of scenario. Water coming over the door sills in the Jeep which are high compared to the Crosstrek the interior would be flooded, you'd be sitting in water. I would think you'd be just fine leaving them as is. I'm going to pull it into the shop here in next week or two to drain the diffs, inspect the gears and swap fluids so I'll check them out then and see how they look as well as where exactly they're routed to. I expect they'll be good enough for any scenarios the Crosstrek would encounter deep water wise. At least anything you'd actually be willing to drive the car through that could potentially be an issue. Breathers vent pressure as diff's heat up and expand, typically pushing pressure out. When they're plugged they push to path of least resistance which is typically pinion seal and/or axle seals forcing fluid out those locations. Thermal cooling can ben an issue when diff is hot then is cooled quickly in case of icy cold deep water crossing if you break down or get stuck and sit there for a while where as it cools it would then suck air back in and pull water with it if sitting still. Just moving strait through shouldn't be an issue. ARB makes a nice breather relocation kit which includes fittings, tubing and a 2 way filter like on their air compressors to allow pressure to be vented out yet also allow it to "breath" when it cools and pull air back in again once cooled which works well at keeping seals working properly as they should-vents the diff nicely and avoids leaks. We install a lot of these with good results locating filter to firewall location. It's a good little kit- but- again, I'd not want to be that deep in the car anyway. I think you'll be fine.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Reviving this thread after travel.

This is the crossing that got me thinking about a breather. This was a walk in the park for the Trek but I really fear getting water in the diff. For those of you with technical knowledge, how close would you say I am in the video to getting water in the diff?

·
Banned
93 Posts
alot of times i figure out things like where the axle breathers are located before i ask several people a simple question.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alot of times i figure out things like where the axle breathers are located before i ask several people a simple question.
Wow! 2 asinine comments! Need a cookie? Your blood sugar seems low.

Asking questions is precisely why most of us are here. If your gonna be a a jerk for no reason than please do it elsewhere ✌

·
Registered
160 Posts
Reviving this thread after travel.

This is the crossing that got me thinking about a breather. This was a walk in the park for the Trek but I really fear getting water in the diff. For those of you with technical knowledge, how close would you say I am in the video to getting water in the diff?

I would not at all be worried about depth on the vid there. Remember- heat from driving creates pressure inside the diff to push things out- your fluid for instance if diffs are over filled will be pushed out under normal heat/pressure from driving to force whatever fluid out was excess then stabilize once it's happy with the level. Water won't enter under normal conditions unless you submerge and thermal shock with something like ice cold water allowing diff to cool while submerged to create vacuum and pull water in. Otherwise it's going to stay out of the diff. You'd also need to submerge the diffs entirely assuming you had a leak at the breather port or breather line was disconnected. Even at the depth you're at there, I wouldn't be worried as you don't appear deep enough to even submerge the diffs at either end yet. You absolutely did the right thing going slow through water like that though- lots of folks are unable to resist the urge and go flying through making huge splash throwing water everywhere. This is great way to ingest everywhere you don't want it and do serious catastrophic damage. Life happenings have post-poned my ability to get our 'Trek into the shop to tear diffs apart and thoroughly inspect but hope to before snow fall for sure. Hopefully in next couple weeks as things slow down a bit, we'll see. Wife has the car now but as I remember, the top of diffs would be above the door sill opening slightly so unless you have water coming in through the door jam, I think you'll be OK. I will look ours over closer once I have time to get it in to work and see. Sorry for delay in mean time. I think you're good though.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Boy I come from the aftermarket parts industry and have been modifying rigs forever. We do breather relocations all the time and re-route breathers on various rigs- Jeeps and Toyotas primarily. Breathers are often a source of pinion seal leaks at the diffs and it's amazing what you find even in new rigs off the lot. I run the Jeep in water at times-not intentionally looking for it but dealing with it when the need arises depending on where the trail runs. Typically getting the breathers up to the fuel door location or high on firewall in engine bay is more than enough as if you're in water that deep, you're pretty much screwed anyway. Thinking on it, I'd not want the Subaru in any kind of water that deep to need relocating the breathers. Typically most manufacturers have breathers located on top of trans or t-case near bell housing locations. I'm not sure where they're at in the Crosstrek exactly but I'd definitely not want to be in water that deep in this car. I've been in water deep enough with enough current to float the Jeep off course into sketchy scenario but it's highly modified with lockers, low range, winch, pull pal, etc. it's par for the course. Not interested in the least in putting the Crosstrek in that type of scenario. Water coming over the door sills in the Jeep which are high compared to the Crosstrek the interior would be flooded, you'd be sitting in water. I would think you'd be just fine leaving them as is. I'm going to pull it into the shop here in next week or two to drain the diffs, inspect the gears and swap fluids so I'll check them out then and see how they look as well as where exactly they're routed to. I expect they'll be good enough for any scenarios the Crosstrek would encounter deep water wise. At least anything you'd actually be willing to drive the car through that could potentially be an issue. Breathers vent pressure as diff's heat up and expand, typically pushing pressure out. When they're plugged they push to path of least resistance which is typically pinion seal and/or axle seals forcing fluid out those locations. Thermal cooling can ben an issue when diff is hot then is cooled quickly in case of icy cold deep water crossing if you break down or get stuck and sit there for a while where as it cools it would then suck air back in and pull water with it if sitting still. Just moving strait through shouldn't be an issue. ARB makes a nice breather relocation kit which includes fittings, tubing and a 2 way filter like on their air compressors to allow pressure to be vented out yet also allow it to "breath" when it cools and pull air back in again once cooled which works well at keeping seals working properly as they should-vents the diff nicely and avoids leaks. We install a lot of these with good results locating filter to firewall location. It's a good little kit- but- again, I'd not want to be that deep in the car anyway. I think you'll be fine.

Best of Luck,

Mike
boy have i got the story for you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts