Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Limited w Nav
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I picked up a Cert Pre Owned 2021 Limited and the Nav screen has a few scratches on it. Dealer is changing the radio next week because of the scratches . Seems like there are a lot of people saying its soft plastic and does scratch easy. Did anyone put on a screen protector and if so can you provide the link and photo if possible ! TIA!

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,128 Posts
Nope, not on our '18 that we've had from new.

I can't think of what might scratch it, other than a car wash guy rubbing it with a rag that he dropped and picked up from the ground.

We're very careful with displays (e.g. laptops, monitors, TVs). Only gentle microfiber cloths.

·
Registered
2021 Limited w Nav
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just ordered these 2... Ill report back when I try them!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had an extra "Paper like" screen protector for my iPad mini. I cut it down to size and placed it on my Crosstrek's screen since new. It gives a nice Matt finish to the screen and is easy to clean. I always put a screen protector on my cell phones and tablets, so I thought, why not.

·
Prefers black cats
12,128 Posts
How was the sensitivity before and after? They're not the most responsive touch screens...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I buy the largest available at the Japanese $2 store then cut them to fit whatever I need: tablet, phone, GPS, whatever. No issues yet with the one I put on my MY18 when new.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have one on the 6.5". I always use a damp microfiber towel for the interior (Thanks Chris Fix! - lol) but I noticed a small scratch within the first month. I got a screen protector and the reviews were pretty terrible on every single one, so I just chose a random and pulled the trigger. It doesn't fit perfect, but it covers the majority.

I think the cutting method would be a great idea. Since the screens in our CT's are pretty low quality, a matte version would be helpful. Anyone finds a solution to the glossy bezel without having to remove the whole thing and paint it, that would be great ;) Only one I have found is way too expensive and there is no actual image. Hell, I'd take a matte clear film just as a protector rather than have the scratches all over the glossy dash and rest of the plastic interior. Sorry, trailing here...

I had an extra "Paper like" screen protector for my iPad mini. I cut it down to size and placed it on my Crosstrek's screen since new. It gives a nice Matt finish to the screen and is easy to clean. I always put a screen protector on my cell phones and tablets, so I thought, why not.
When you cut it, how did you measure and did you just use scissors? I may replace the current screen protector with a matte option like that. The current one I have looks all kinds of funny colors through polarized lenses (or, Oakley "prism") and I wear glasses a lot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The HU comes factory installed with temporary nylon screen protector so it scratches easily, I found a 6.5" glass screen protector from amazon that fits perfectly.

·
Registered
2021 Sport :)
69 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have one on the 6.5". I always use a damp microfiber towel for the interior (Thanks Chris Fix! - lol) but I noticed a small scratch within the first month. I got a screen protector and the reviews were pretty terrible on every single one, so I just chose a random and pulled the trigger. It doesn't fit perfect, but it covers the majority.

I think the cutting method would be a great idea. Since the screens in our CT's are pretty low quality, a matte version would be helpful. Anyone finds a solution to the glossy bezel without having to remove the whole thing and paint it, that would be great ;) Only one I have found is way too expensive and there is no actual image. Hell, I'd take a matte clear film just as a protector rather than have the scratches all over the glossy dash and rest of the plastic interior. Sorry, trailing here...

When you cut it, how did you measure and did you just use scissors? I may replace the current screen protector with a matte option like that. The current one I have looks all kinds of funny colors through polarized lenses (or, Oakley "prism") and I wear glasses a lot.
I measured the area that I wanted to cover. Then used a straight edge and a razor to cut the screen protector. I used the same method I do when adding a protector to my phones or tablets. Pretty straight forward.

The touch sensitivity seems about the same with or without.

Come to think of it, the screen protector I used wasn't specifically for my iPad mini. It was just some generic "Paper like" product. I like the flat finish of those types of protectors.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
396 Posts
I may have to get one. I was putting my dash cam up, it slipped, hit right above the radio button and chipped the plastic. Frustrating, but what can you do after the fact? Luckily the screen itself is currently scratch free.

I have an appointment to get a screen protector (Clearplex) on my windshield, since they are just about as soft as the nav screen. :p

·
Registered
261 Posts
I may have to get one. I was putting my dash cam up, it slipped, hit right above the radio button and chipped the plastic. Frustrating, but what can you do after the fact? Luckily the screen itself is currently scratch free.

I have an appointment to get a screen protector (Clearplex) on my windshield, since they are just about as soft as the nav screen. :p

I was cleaning the windshield with my watch on, and NEVER had this happen before, but the watch scratched the hell out of the cheap plastic on that top portion heads up display. It's noticeable through the windshield now. I mean, you have to be looking for it, but damn, really? Same with the center console where the shifter is. It's a light grey material of the same cheap plastic. Visible scratches already too. Not sure how I scratched the screen, but it's about a quarter inch long, so that's when I decided to get a screen protector. Had no idea this stuff would scratch so easily because I've never had this happen before. Usually it's just the glossy small stuff that gets swirls from towels over time, like the plastic around the guage bezel - but I have learned to use a damp microfiber cloth for interior and STILL the CT interior scratches so easily. I am not willing to spend hundreds on films to protect everything inside the cab. It is what it is I guess. Most I can do is try to minimize it, but I hope my next vehicle uses better materials or at least something with a better texture to hide wear and tear. I did end up buying a new vacuum attachment with a soft bristle brush though... probably should have pulled the trigger on that a long time ago. But still, I suspect over time it will even do visible damage to this stuff.

·
Registered
2021 Limited w Nav
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know if the Crosstrek 8" Navi radio the same as the Forester 8" Navi radio? They look the same. Can anyone confirm this ? TIA

·
Prefers black cats
12,128 Posts
Does anyone know if the Crosstrek 8" Navi radio the same as the Forester 8" Navi radio? They look the same. Can anyone confirm this ? TIA
There are two versions in the Crosstrek: the 3.0 in the Impreza '17 and '18 and the '18 Crosstrek. After that there's the 3.1. Minor differences but you can't easily switch cables, etc.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
96 Posts
I heard the screen has a subtle curve in it so there can be air under the sides. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nope…don’t see the point of putting one on…not unless you’re going to be juggling knives inside your car. ;)

Reactions: harleymhs
1 - 16 of 16 Posts