Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2020 Crosstrek Limited. So I got a little device from Progressive called the Snapshot which plugs into my OBD-II port and monitors my driving to provide discounts. A while ago I started getting notifications on my phone saying there was a problem with STARLINK Emergency Services, followed by a text from the dealer to come in for a Starlink diagnostic. The issue would go away within a few hours and it only came up 2-3 times over 2 months but I decided to go in for a diagnostic anyway. They noted the issue was the snapshot device, noting it causes some requests between ECUs to time out. When I pushed for more info they avoided it.

They also handed me this document which outlines the issue. It doesn't really say much other than it causes the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B2A15 to show. I did a bit more googling but I can hardly find any information on this subject anywhere, both about the issue itself and DTC B2A15.

The only other thing I found was this Subaru service newsletter indicating the issue on page 6, but not much more info. I got a 3 day subscription to Subaru Techinfo to scour if there was anything else. I could only find the diagnostics and an indication that B2A15 denoted "VIN DATA RESPONSE" whatever that means, with no more info.

So does anyone have more information? I found on the Forester forum people were having issues with this with dashcams or other driver monitoring systems; it is ridiculous that we can't read out from the OBD port without angering the subaru gods.

I'm mostly concerned with: does anyone know if keeping it plugged in actually interferes with starlink services? Will it actually prevent me from locating my car, sending car alarm notifications, or prevent engine immobilization in case of theft? I'm interested in other OBD-II devices as well and would like to know if they'll actually cause issue or if it's just complaining for no reason.

Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
So does anyone have more information? I found on the Forester forum people were having issues with this with dashcams or other driver monitoring systems; it is ridiculous that we can't read out from the OBD port without angering the subaru gods.
Just because you buy a third-party device and plug it in does not mean that it is 100% compatible with the existing on-board OS or hardware.

The problem is not with Subaru but with the third-party manufacturer of the device, that being whoever is producing the behavior monitoring device for Progressive.

I was surprised, and pleased, when I mounted up in my Crossie my Scan Gauge II that I had originally bought in 2003 for my 2003 Impreza 2.5 TS and it performed seamlessly after I reset the engine size. I still need to send in my Scan Gauge II to Linear Logic to get it reprogrammed with the latest firmware for the '18 Crosstrek. That will cost $25 plus shipping.

It should be noted that the Scan Gauge II is hard-wired into the ODB II port, whereas the Snapshot is fairly complex wireless communications device and can be subject to EMI of all manner.

And personally, I would never consider putting a Snapshot in any of my vehicles. The few bucks "saved" on insurance is not worth the wealth of personal data you are voluntarily giving up and probably to a variety of different agencies, not just Progressive, or the data that can be used against you to deny a claim because you were proven to be going 2 miles per hour over the speed limit at the time of the accident or it was determined that you braked too hard or too fast or at that time you were driving just a wee bit too aggressively.

Here is a link to an excellent blog about the Snapshot:

There are a few pros with Snapshot, the overall goal of the device being to modify driving behavior - aggressive nanny-ware to mold you into a granny driver. But the cons are many.

I already have enough apprehension about StarLink and the daily data stream to the Subaru Mothership.

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
25 Posts
So, is there any resolve on this issue? I moved my ScanGauge II from my last car to my Subie and I am now getting the intermittent "STARLINK system light is on" message. I have sent the ScanGauge in for the firmware update (v4.53) and still have the same issue. I have used the ScanGauge on many vehicles (98 Chevy Monte Carlo, 06 Pontiac Solstice, 06 Hummer H3, 07 Honda Element, 13 Kia Soul, 17 Honda HRV) and have never experienced any issues with it interfering with the vehicle.

I suspect the problem is just the bus detecting signals from an "unregistered" device and the car is programmed let you know something may be wrong. I am not noticing and irregularities with the vehicle running or in strange output on the ScanGauge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Newbie question: I started looking at the ScanGauge II website. Apart from some additional readouts, for what do you use this? Is this used to monitor performance mods? What else?

·
Registered
63 Posts
SOA has issued an updated TSB on this topic. Additional info is highlighted in yellow.

The good news is the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2A15 does not interfere with STARLINK services.

The bad news is there's no easy way to prevent the DTC from coming up. SOA suggests plugging in the OBD2 device 5 seconds after starting the vehicle, but that has to be done every time. If going that route an OBD2 extension cable would make it much easier to do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
SOA has issued an updated TSB on this topic. Additional info is highlighted in yellow.

The good news is the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2A15 does not interfere with STARLINK services.

The bad news is there's no easy way to prevent the DTC from coming up. SOA suggests plugging in the OBD2 device 5 seconds after starting the vehicle, but that has to be done ever time. If going that route an OBD2 extension cable would make it much easier to do.

Unbelievable. Of course, the more I learn about Subaru, the more I believe electrical systems are their weak spot.

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
25 Posts
Newbie question: I started looking at the ScanGauge II website. Apart from some additional readouts, for what do you use this? Is this used to monitor performance mods? What else?
I use mine to monitor voltage, water temperature. Intake temperature and horsepower. I do not have basic gauges so I use the ScanGauge to give me the basics. Unfortunately I am unable to watch my oil pressure. If for some reason you get a check engine light, the ScanGaige can show the code and clear them as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts