Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a crosstrek premium and want some opinions on the ride comfort. I did test drive one and it seemed very smooth but its hard to know without having one for a few days. A road and track reviewer said he found it smoother than an Audi A4 and just as quiet, which if true, would be great. Other vehicles similar to the crosstrek feel choppy and stiff to me. I’m looking for a ride that leans more toward plush than sporty. To me, ‘sporty’ is a way to justify stiff, jarring suspension so you can take corners faster than you should. If you regularly drive other sedans like Camry, accord ..., how do yo compare the ride in your crosstrek to them? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Coming from a honda civic I would say the ride is far better. It is much smoother and corners better as well. My only complaint is that the lumbar on drivers seat is pretty much non-existent. So the ride is much better but the civics seats were more comfortable.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
We love it and have both owned a number of luxury cars. I also had an Accord and prefer the Crosstrek (plus the fact that it's higher up and easier to get in and out of)!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not a great trip car. I have an 18 Forester XT with a stiffer rear stabilizer bar. The XT is a great distance drive. The XV not so much.

I will say though that it is a very sporty (but not harsh ride). For me anything below say 75 miles its fine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I test drove both Premium and Limited Crosstreks, back to back on the same road, and didn't feel any difference in ride quality (I was skeptical of the larger wheels on the Limited). I came from a Nissan Murano SL. The ride quality of the Crosstrek is nearly as good, cabin noise about the same, and handling orders of magnitude better. I've been very satisfied.

For trips, I think your mileage may vary :D. I've made the 7 hour trip to my hometown a couple of times now and I've been pleased with it's highway manners. The seats are plenty comfortable for long periods, for me. But I'm 5 and a half feet and 130 pounds. Seat position may be a factor - I've raised mine up since I don't have to worry about my head hitting the ceiling, which gives me a more natural leg position. Maybe one that helps prevent fatigue.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
What Qat said... it's such a subjective, personal issue. Not sure you'll get any really meaningful replies here because YMMV!

We took some long trips in the Accord, the longest being around 2,600 miles roundtrip to see the eclipse in Idaho. Since getting the Crosstrek, we've gone to Big Bear a few times, and the Eastern Sierra twice (just got back, almost 1K miles total this trip). I wouldn't hesitate taking the Crosstrek on a 2,600 mile trip. We were considering driving it to Vancouver this summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coming directly from a fully loaded Volvo XC70, I will say its not too bad. There is a difference naturally but the Crosstrek is really pretty good, way better than I expected. You are less insulated from the outside world in a Subaru, but you get that back in other areas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good comments so far. I want to collect as much info and opinions as I can. I drove a new Mazda CX-5 for a while and was impressed with its quiet and upscale interior. The ride is tuned towards handling and although some people like that, I found the short travel springs and choppy ride tiring. It was like the vehicle was always busy, letting you know about every bump, crack and weight shift. I will gladly trade off some perceived high speed cornering ability for a more refined gentle ride. I am hoping the crosstrek will do that but it’s hard to tell after a few short test drives. More comparisons, comments and opinions are welcome!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I drove a new Mazda CX-5 for a while and was impressed with its quiet and upscale interior.
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The CX-5 competes with the Forester; the Crosstrek competes with the CX-3.

Mazda builds a fine vehicle. However, the money that Mazda puts into an upscale interior Subaru puts into engineering. If a superior AWD system is important to you, go with Subaru.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The CX-5 competes with the Forester; the Crosstrek competes with the CX-3.

Mazda builds a fine vehicle. However, the money that Mazda puts into an upscale interior Subaru puts into engineering. If a superior AWD system is important to you, go with Subaru.
What he said. I will take my '18 Forester against the CX-5 any day of the week. Just like (as I said)...Huuuuge difference between a XV and a Forester.

But again I am not saying that the XV is not a great vehicle. Why not drive a Forester?

I am happy I have one of each

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ADC, you say “Huuuuge difference between a XV and a Forester.” And that you have both. Please tell me the difference in ride you notice between them, and what the year of your crosstrek is. My understanding is that the ‘19 forester is on the same chassis as the ‘18 and newer crosstrek. Same wheelbase, etc. I would think they have very similar ride characteristics. I have an ‘07 forester and haven’t driven a newer one, but my test drive of a 19 crosstrek felt quieter and smoother than my old forester and smoother than the ‘19 cx-5 I was driving.
Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ADC, you say “Huuuuge difference between a XV and a Forester.” And that you have both. Please tell me the difference in ride you notice between them, and what the year of your crosstrek is. My understanding is that the ‘19 forester is on the same chassis as the ‘18 and newer crosstrek. Same wheelbase, etc. I would think they have very similar ride characteristics. I have an ‘07 forester and haven’t driven a newer one, but my test drive of a 19 crosstrek felt quieter and smoother than my old forester and smoother than the ‘19 cx-5 I was driving.
Thanks.
My father-in-law custom ordered a new '19 Forester top of line fully loaded that he's had for couple months now. We got our 2019 Crosstrek Limited back on July 4th and spent the weekend together a couple weeks back. We both examined the cars close to note differences and took them on back to back rides. I'd never looked but he states same thing- his research and dealer told him they shared same chassis, wheel base, suspension, etc. I didn't research any of it just took his word for it but having driving both back to back, they sure felt the same. His has a few annoying features I didn't care for like the alarm to yell at you if you look off side of road and are not looking directly at the road in front of you, few other minor things but they sure felt to drive/handle the same.

He will be back next weekend with the Forester. This weekend I'm replacing springs and lifting the Crosstrek in addition to swapping out factory wheels with aftermarket and more tire sidewall. I've always felt the Subaru's are too lightly sprung to begin with and cannot handle load very well making them wallow and roll through corners rather than with aggression and authority. I will say the new Crosstrek bone stock does handle far better than our old '07 Outback it replaced though. It will be interesting comparing once lifted with different springs/tires to the stock Forester next weekend...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
95 Posts
Admittedly this is pretty subjective.
I went from a 2007 Toyota Corolla to a 2018 Crosstrek Limited. I worried a bit about the big rims but I find the car more comfortable than my old Toyota and not nearly as good a highway car as my wife's 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I am old though. I think I like the Crosstrek far more than the Hyundai on fun, curvy roads. While lacking power it just seems to have a firm, but compliant ride that really is remarkable and I like it alot. My wife never liked the Corolla when being a passenger, but she liked the Toyota more than the Subaru because she feels the Crosstrek kind of "bobs" a bit (for and aft) and this seems to provoke a bit of car sickness. Grandkids filling the seats and none of them seem to complain though and they like being up high so we can finally see over the guard rails of our bay bridges. Them's of tiny shoe sizes haven't, as yet, deposited lunches on the leather so I guess they are feeling pretty comfortable in the car. Honestly I was supposed to get a Miata when I retired. The Subaru is a bit removed from a Miata but I still like the way it handles. Oddly enough the problem with the large rims seems to be that there is so little sidewall on the tires I'm nervous about taking it anywhere off road without popping a sidewall. Go figure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a ‘19 Crosstrek Premium 6MT and an ‘18 Audi S4, and will say that the ride quality of the Crosstrek is very good overall. The suspension is well balanced and does a great job of dampening bumps, road noise, etc. when driving around town. It’s definitely not a sporty or stiff ride, but also not too soft. The only time the car feels choppy is if my shifts aren’t too smooth...I’m sure that the CVT would solve that. Cruising on the freeway is pretty quiet and comfortable also. I haven’t driven the Crosstrek offroad, so the OEM Geolander tires have performed well with respect to providing a smooth ride on streets and freeway. There’s only 3K miles on them, but so far so good.

The cloth seats are comfortable and I have gotten compliments on how nice the seats were from co-workers when driving them around. The few things that I can complain about is that front seats could use a few more adjustments to improve comfort on longer drives, and the headrests are a little too hard and push too far forward for my liking.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The few things that I can complain about is that front seats could use a few more adjustments to improve comfort on longer drives, and the headrests are a little too hard and push too far forward for my liking.
The headrests adjust forward and backward as well as up and down. Pull forward on the headrest to begin the forward/backward adjustment.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The headrests adjust forward and backward as well as up and down. Pull forward on the headrest to begin the forward/backward adjustment.
LOL, I found that out by accident just last week and we've "only" had the car a year and a half... 😸

The detail guy had pushed one of them really far forward.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2019 Crosstrek Limited with the standard 18" wheel. A smooth ride is very important to me and I love the Crosstrek's ride. It has virtually no impact harshness and even smooths out railroad tracks. It's perfect for rough city streets. Since it has a relatively short wheelbase (104.9") is bobs very slightly. However, that's relative to my other vehicles which have 109" and 112" wheelbases.

I wish the vehicle was a bit quieter with regard to road noise. It has very little wind noise and the engine relatively quiet -- so no complaints there. If I had purchased instead of leased I would change out the Falken tires to help reduce the noise -- they get poor noise ratings on Tirerack.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks.
Well I have the 18XT. And I can just tell you that the Forester is just a better trip car. You sit higher, the seats seem more comfortable. Again I am not downing the XV one little bit. It probably handles better than the XT.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Well I have the 18XT. And I can just tell you that the Forester is just a better trip car. You sit higher, the seats seem more comfortable. Again I am not downing the XV one little bit. It probably handles better than the XT.
I borrowed a friend's Forester before we bought the Crosstrek. It was older but not by much. That's one of the reasons we bought a Crosstrek. Each to his or her own. We like how nimble the Crosstrek is and have not had any problems getting all of our gear in when we go out to the desert or up in the mountains!

Drive them for a while and see what works for you...

·
Registered
17 Posts
The headrests only tilts forward and backward. I got the impression that I missed something and that they could actually slide further back. Even at the adjustment that is furthest back, it isn’t all that comfortable when my head rests against it...and the hard foam inside or whatever the material is really the only thing that feels cheap. It probably doesn’t bother others as much if their driver’s seat is more reclined, but my seat is adjusted pretty upright, so I end up feeling the headrest more.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
20 Participants
AstroKats
Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
At Subaru XV Forum you'll find fellow Subaru XV Enthusiasts to help perfect that Subaru Crosstrek Build, or share all kinds of information about this Subaru from its specs to its design.
Full Forum Listing