Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am on the fence about de-badging. I have considered plasti-dipping instead, but I usually perfer no badges or stickers. However, plasti-dipping the emblems might look nice with my plans of the premium auto styling overlays. I plan on getting these (Links above pics):

Tail Light Honeycomb:

Tail Light Deck:

Headlight Amber Delete:

Any 18+ owners out there who have done this stuff? I know I will be plasti-dipping the front grille. I would like to invest in the Grillcraft upper & lower grilles, but they seem to be unavailable now? There are some images online of a couple 18+'s with the grille combo's, and they look great. Anyone can find a working link I'd greatly appreciate it, but I am more interested in seeing your de-badged 18+ or blacked out 18+'s.

I am also wondering the look of the rear tail lights from the side at night and when the lights are on. I drive with my lights on during the day too. Also, does anyone know if the tail lights stay on with the auto light selected? It uses the high beams during the day, correct? Either way, I perfer just the regular lights on and when I get my DD fog lights I might use those during the day with "parking" lights. I also found these:

The Whole LED Package

That package does not come with front turn's, but DD offers them so I'll be picking those up as well when I get the fog's. A costly addition, but I hate the halogen bulbs and their heat, so they must go. I don't mind soft white light, just the problems the heat causes in the long run, and the fact that LED's are much more efficient which means longer lasting. Much much more.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hey @Montana Actual have you tried putting Debadge in Search community? There's heaps of results there. Someone here has an orange one and blacked out their badges and emblems and it looked great. I think @cbetts has too.
Did you see Subieguy on Youtube? He has the some of the stuff you're thinking of. Start at 9:40 to see where he begins to discuss his mods an deletes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did use the search function and found some random results, most for older gens. I followed @cbetts. Nice ride man ;) Can't wait to see the "endgame"... as if it every actually ends, lol.

But subieguy... Nope. Tons of "interesting" mods and all, but I honestly don't enjoy that look and I watched most the video for ideas on certain things. Just gaudy IMO. The engine bay looked nice though. No complaints there, still not sure it's worth the money, especially when you are talking about "JDM washers and bolts". Don't take it personal, just not my style. Plenty of people like it.

I'll most likely de-badge. I'd like to find an overlay for the 2021 grille, because I have always had issues with imperfections while plasti-dipping, but I can only find the older models with one single strip. The 2021's have two. That should be easier to paint, but the emblems just don't seem worth it. I have only seen pics of older gens that removed emblems, which is why I decided to start a new thread.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Base 6MT Cool Gray Khaki
16 Posts
I just debadged my 2021. It was a pain. I’ve never had this much trouble getting glue off. I have pics in my build thread. I prefer the clean look, but if my car was white (mine is CGK), I’d probably buy the black badges (or plasti dip in your case). I plan to vinyl wrap the chrome on my grille. Vinyl wrapping is very easy and I’m not a huge fan of plasti dip.

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
116 Posts
If you debadge, use Goo Gone! They make a formula specifically for automotive so it will be safe on your paint.

LINKY

·
Registered
2019 Premium
56 Posts
I've been toying with idea of the black badges as well. Sounds like removing the old ones is "fun". My Subie is white so I'll be going the "Stormtrooper" route with emblems and badges. Really tempted to do smoke overlays on the tailights. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just debadged my 2021. It was a pain. I’ve never had this much trouble getting glue off. I have pics in my build thread. I prefer the clean look, but if my car was white (mine is CGK), I’d probably buy the black badges (or plasti dip in your case). I plan to vinyl wrap the chrome on my grille. Vinyl wrapping is very easy and I’m not a huge fan of plasti dip.
Goop is your friend along with fishing line.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Base 6MT Cool Gray Khaki
16 Posts
Goop is your friend along with fishing line.
I used heat and fishing line then had to scrub with my nail and tons of goo gone for like an hour. I’ve never had this much trouble. I’ve debadged a lot of cars including my previous Crosstrek. Not sure why this car gave me so much trouble.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
158 Posts
If you car is newish (less than a year old), fishing line or dental floss should be all you need to remove the letters. Once I caught a corner or a letter, the whole thing popped off with little to no residue left on the paint. I replaced mine with the OEM Black badges.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So... they make these things called plastic razors, lol. Those and some goo gone work wonders. And I have Automotive Goo Gone, but that's a great tip. I suspect there is not any difference between it and regular goo gone, maybe more diluted if anything? For starting the removal of emblems I will use fishing line. I have plenty of it cuz I can't catch a damn fish to save my life, LOL!

I used the plastic razor and the handle it came with to remove a Subaru sticker on the drivers window, and the dealer stickers on both sides above the emblems. I found them when removing side panel chrome some tacky ******* put on my old F150 before I owned it. It was interesting. I also had to use a rubber eraser wheel to get the rest of the crap off, only to find out they put them on to cover up a HUGE scratch - which I also fixed and repainted. Long story short: I'll never buy another used car as long as I live.

But, after seeing the debadged picture, I made up my mind. They are coming off. I hope the headlight and tail light overlays don't end up looking like too much, but I think it's a pretty subtle mod and makes the headlights look a little more modern and LED-ish. Kinda still salty about not getting the premium headlights. I wish it was just plug and play, then I'd just buy some. Is it? Or is it not worth the hassle?

Honestly the one thing that bothers me the most is the reflectors. I don't know what to do with those. Most likely I will cave and get the "X" overlays. Not sure how I feel about it, but if I do it and it's done, then I will live with it. I don't like the glossy overlays, and I think painting them makes it look cheap - because it looks like you got the version without reflectors (kinda like a base with no fog lights)... not to offend any base owners, sorry if I did. It just looks like something belongs there. I have contemplated mounting aftermarket lights in there too. Just not sure what would fit without looking terrible, and maybe a very thin almost bug screen metal mesh behind them? Or just buy some full plastic covers and cut out the spot for the lights. They would be back-up lights, not brake lights. Maybe. I dunno. Something will get done eventually... Maybe it'll come to me in a dream.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you debadge, use Goo Gone! They make a formula specifically for automotive so it will be safe on your paint.

LINKY
And definitely don't buy spray bottle goo gone. Unless you enjoy the sprayer to work the first couple sprays only. Not that I'd ever do that...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have only seen the overlays for the older grilles, because I think the 2021's are different and they have two strips of fugliness instead of just the one. Sport models may be different too. But I know my grill has two strips of silver and all the overlays I have seen only show 1, and they say for 2018-2021. I just want a matte black look. I mean, honestly I want the grillcraft grille, but the links on their website are not working. Kinda salty about that. I also heard the wraps are pretty hard because of all the angles and such. But, I just did a quick search and found this:

2021 winglet removal

So it looks like there is no need for any of that, we can just remove the winglets all together.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Magnetite Grey, 1.5" ADF lift, RRW RR2-V 15x7, Geolandar G015 235/70R15
72 Posts
I have only seen the overlays for the older grilles, because I think the 2021's are different and they have two strips of fugliness instead of just the one. Sport models may be different too. But I know my grill has two strips of silver and all the overlays I have seen only show 1, and they say for 2018-2021. I just want a matte black look. I mean, honestly I want the grillcraft grille, but the links on their website are not working. Kinda salty about that. I also heard the wraps are pretty hard because of all the angles and such. But, I just did a quick search and found this:

2021 winglet removal

So it looks like there is no need for any of that, we can just remove the winglets all together.
I pulled the winglets and separated the chrome strip from the silver. Plasti dipped the winglets matte black and went gloss black on the winglets. Sanded the chrome strip and painted them gloss black for a little contrast. Debadged the hatch and replaced both the front and rear Subaru emblems with orange ones. Still need to wrap the chrome sill trim along the windows and then all the chrome will be gone. Pulling the entire front facia off of the car makes removing the grill a lot easier and only takes about 10 minutes. A few bolts along the top and a bunch of plastic clips along the bottom.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pulled the winglets...

Very nice. I am doing my winglets now. No chrome for me. Every 2.5 I see makes me want to just take my 2.0 back, lol. Next time for sure ;)

Debadging will take place on Friday, and the light vinyls are on their way. Honestly, if I had the premium or whatever version comes with LED's, I wouldn't even mess with the lights. Quick question, are your taillights LED too? Do the brake lights stretch across to the hatch door? Or just the exterior on the sides of the car light up?

I was watching some headlight mod videos. You can make your CT look like it's from another world, and it's honestly not that hard. Just time consuming. I think for now the vinyls and simple stuff will hold me down.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,662 Posts
Did your dealer also stick a badge on? That bugs me...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts