Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
My original response was in relevance to the original topic. Yes detergent fuel and cleaners can keep the injectors performing well. You win? The point was that the original post and the more recent posts are no longer related.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SO, have any of you had the cleaning done at a dealer? If so, could you tell a difference in how the engine ran?
The answer is of course, no. Why on earth would you depart from the manufacturer's recommended service schedule unless something goes wrong. You're just throwing money away, albeit at a nice car.

In the UK we hear rumours that you chaps in the US get sold so much unnecessary servicing, snake oil, extra oil changes, fuel additives, etc. They really aren't necessary.

My old Mitsubishi needed some contact cleaner used on the fuel injection to clean the contacts once but otherwise if it ain't broken, don't fix it. At best you are wasting your money. At worst you are wrecking the effects required to ensure your engine runs correctly and meets it's planned lifetime as a result of carefully planned reliability centred maintenance calculations.

So don't clean it. (But do hoover and wash the inside; it's so much nicer to drive a clean car)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow I didn't realize that my situation and question would result in this flurry of responses. Sorry I've been away camping out on Facebook trying to deal with and correct political stupidity, ignorance and emphasize the need for people to WAKE UP!. My types are the only ones who are on Facebook tossing grenades at each other. We're all "dug in" but it's still fun. So calm down and take a deep breath SMs. I'm not diving into politics but rather just giving an accounting of where I've been and what I've been doing. :rolleyes:

YES my original post had to do with cleaning the backs of the intake valves for GDI engines and nothing else. I have the CRC cleaner and have fabricated a hose assembly to use for its injection. It's quite clever if I say so myself. I'm waiting for the odometer to reach 28,500 miles before I do the procedure after which I'll change the oil which by then will have 4K miles on it. (My driving is "severe" with constant stop-and-go).

BTW I'll have an O I L post here shortly in the appropriate forum. I can already hear the anticipation. :LOL:

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,050 Posts
Wow I didn't realize that my situation and question would result in this flurry of responses. Sorry I've been away camping out on Facebook trying to deal with and correct political stupidity, ignorance and emphasize the need for people to WAKE UP!. My types are the only ones who are on Facebook tossing grenades at each other. We're all "dug in" but it's still fun. So calm down and take a deep breath SMs. I'm not diving into politics but rather just giving an accounting of where I've been and what I've been doing. :rolleyes:

YES my original post had to do with cleaning the backs of the intake valves for GDI engines and nothing else. I have the CRC cleaner and have fabricated a hose assembly to use for its injection. It's quite clever if I say so myself. I'm waiting for the odometer to reach 28,500 miles before I do the procedure after which I'll change the oil which by then will have 4K miles on it. (My driving is "severe" with constant stop-and-go).

BTW I'll have an O I L post here shortly in the appropriate forum. I can already hear the anticipation. :LOL:
So, you've put everyone straight on Facebook, all 2.5 billion of them? 😸

Looking forward to your new O I L posts!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So, you've put everyone straight on Facebook, all 2.5 billion of them? 😸
LOL! Just the American voter. I am but a small voice crying out in the vast and bleak wilderness.

Looking forward to your new O I L posts!
I'm currently corresponding with Valvoline concerning their product application (Modern Engine vs Advanced) I'll post with the conclusion. I don't think that I'll be re-hashing old subject matter.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm currently corresponding with Valvoline concerning their product application (Modern Engine vs Advanced) I'll post with the conclusion. I don't think that I'll be re-hashing old subject matter.

I received a response from Valvoline and found a thread in the Engine and Drivetrain forum that would accommodate the issue. It's entitled "What is the best synthetic motor oil you use?".

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
31 Posts
I would just use a good FI Cleaner of your choice poured in the tank. That's all I do ever so often and I have had no issues.
In Australia the Owner's Manual merely recommends adding the Subaru approved Fuel Injection Cleaner to full tank of petrol/gas at 6000 km intervals. I did at the 1st 6000. Only up to 10,000 now. I also use the 95 octane petrol/gas instead of the 91 with Ethanol. So far, so good.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This morning I dove into the CRC Intake Valve cleaning process. Due to room, I had to hold the can upside down which is an option per the instructions. However, i ended up using maybe 3/4 of the can as a result. I suppose I could have kept shaking the can in order to use it all, but I was getting tired of leaning over. During the process a helluva lot of smoke came out the tailpipe which is good. To maintain a constant RPM, I clamped a large heavy C-clamp onto the gas pedal allowing me to position it to maintain 2300 RPM. In the engine I used a plastic "T" on the brake booster line going into the intake manifold which allowed me to use a rubber cap with a small hole punched into it for the CRC tube. It all worked like a champ! It runs really nicely. To finalize my actions, I changed the O I L with Valvoline Modern Engine full synthetic 5W20.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts