Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with the dealer service adviser this afternoon concerning the cleaning in order to see what they do for the cost of $165.95. All they do is squirt cleaner into the intake which is pretty much what I did in my driveway a few months back. I was hoping he'd say that they use a modern space-age machine on casters with hoses, buzzers and blinking lights. I asked what cleaner they use to which he responded "Subaru approved". As I've posted before, my attempt at cleaning was tedious and pretty much unsuccessful since I couldn't keep the engine at the recommended rpm and I was encountering a lot of engine shaking and pre-ignition which sounded like the engine could disintegrate

SO, have any of you had the cleaning done at a dealer? If so, could you tell a difference in how the engine ran?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i never did it but i asked them about it. one dealership was recommending me. while another one, did not tell me about it. my fuel economy did not change as well from NOT doing it. been the same since day 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the CRC intake cleaner through the vacuum hose immediately in front of the throttle body. My wife held the rpms in the vicinity of the recommended 2500. It sputtered and smoked a little during the bursts of spray. But, it didn’t throw any codes and ran smoothly after the 1-hour soak and test drive.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the port on the intake manifold that went to the brake booster. I couldn't keep a steady RPM. It was all over the place with that line disconnected. I plan to fabricate a short hose that will fit onto the port at one end with a small hole at the other end just big enough to accept the CRC can's plastic hose. The objective is to maintain normal vacuum in order to keep the 2500 RPM during treatment.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Used a 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) vacuum tee, a short length of clear tubing, put two layers of duct tape over one of the straight ends and punched a hole through the duct tape with a small nail and used the same vacuum port.. Wedging a third hand against the back seat, I was able to get 2.5k rpms and hold it while applying the CRC.

artosa

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tech info here. That's what I'll do. But your last sentence escapes me. 🤨 I'll figger out a way to hold the pedal at the rpm.

·
Registered
601 Posts
A third hand is an extendable/adjustable pole used for a variety of purposes. I bought them (2) for holding up drywall panels while attaching to walls/ceilings.

artosa

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sorry, duplicate post, don't know how to delete.

artosa

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spoke with the dealer service adviser this afternoon concerning the cleaning in order to see what they do for the cost of $165.95. All they do is squirt cleaner into the intake which is pretty much what I did in my driveway a few months back. I was hoping he'd say that they use a modern space-age machine on casters with hoses, buzzers and blinking lights. I asked what cleaner they use to which he responded "Subaru approved". As I've posted before, my attempt at cleaning was tedious and pretty much unsuccessful since I couldn't keep the engine at the recommended rpm and I was encountering a lot of engine shaking and pre-ignition which sounded like the engine could disintegrate

SO, have any of you had the cleaning done at a dealer? If so, could you tell a difference in how the engine ran?
Why are you cleaning ,does your car idle or run poorly? If you are using a product like sea foam , you are cleaning the manifold and valve deposits not the injectors. I use top tier gas and run 4 oz of Marvel Mystery oil /tank full . Motor is like glass never any codes

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,082 Posts
Why are you cleaning ,does your car idle or run poorly? If you are using a product like sea foam , you are cleaning the manifold and valve deposits not the injectors. I use top tier gas and run 4 oz of Marvel Mystery oil /tank full . Motor is like glass never any codes
What's "Marvel Mystery"? Seems like an odd first post here. Do you have a Crosstrek?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oll has been around for decades. A Honda mechanic recommended it for my 1981 Civic way back when.
Seems like a spam post to me...

Out of curiosity I Googled it:

The lubricant was used as a fuel additive in a Lycoming aircraft engine which was specifically cautioned against oil additives (Service Instruction No. 1014M, which also stated its use would void the warranty) which suffered catastrophic damage during take-off. The NTSB listed the probable cause of the accident as "The improper use of [a] fuel additive which resulted in a power loss."[3][5]

RP, take note, LOL!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you look in your owner's manual, it says you don't need any type of cleaner. Government mandates all gasoline companies provide a gasoline detergent, so to keep the emissions within legal requirements. For me every so often before a trip, I'll put a can of seafoam in the tank. Hoping it'll take care of any condensation in the tank and clean up the fuel system.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know how a gasoline with detergent or adding sea foam to a gas tank are relevant in a direct injection engine. Subaru does not have port sprayers like Toyota so the valve side does not get gas.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't know how a gasoline with detergent or adding sea foam to a gas tank are relevant in a direct injection engine. Subaru does not have port sprayers like Toyota so the valve side does not get gas.
It's relevant in a direct injected engine just as it is in any fuel injected engine.It too has injector nozzles that must be kept clean for proper fuel delivery.The nozzels have simply been moved from the intake runners to the cylinder head where they spray fuel directly into the cylinders.It's true that the back/upstream side of the intake valves don't get cleaned by the fuel in a direct injected engine.That is what the dealer cleaning is for.The dealer cleaning agent goes in the intake manifold and not in the fuel so that it will clean the back of the intake valves.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,821 Posts
Seems like a spam post to me...

Out of curiosity I Googled it:

The lubricant was used as a fuel additive in a Lycoming aircraft engine which was specifically cautioned against oil additives (Service Instruction No. 1014M, which also stated its use would void the warranty) which suffered catastrophic damage during take-off. The NTSB listed the probable cause of the accident as "The improper use of [a] fuel additive which resulted in a power loss."[3][5]
RP, take note, LOL!
\
Haha, yeah, in the old days, Marvel Mystery Oil was used by some in aircraft engines. Not too many these days, I don't think.

This is the only oil I use in my plane. Has all the additives needed for these engines.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
It's relevant in a direct injected engine just as it is in any fuel injected engine.It too has injector nozzles that must be kept clean for proper fuel delivery.The nozzels have simply been moved from the intake runners to the cylinder head where they spray fuel directly into the cylinders.It's true that the back/upstream side of the intake valves don't get cleaned by the fuel in a direct injected engine.That is what the dealer cleaning is for.The dealer cleaning agent goes in the intake manifold and not in the fuel so that it will clean the back of the intake valves.
Still seems to me like a spammy first post. Not someone who's here looking for answers or wanting to join the community...

·
Registered
508 Posts
The point of this thread was induction system cleaning, not fuel injector health.
Take note that I quoted your post and not the OP.You said that you don't know how a gasoline with detergent or adding sea foam to a gas tank are relevant in a direct injection engine.I explained to you exactly why it is relevant in all fuel injected engines.I also explained why the dealers cleaning is needed and the basics of how it's done.Other than how to prevent the carbon buildup to begin with,what else is there?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts