Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car, I got the maintenance package, so I have a certain number of prepaid oil changes. I alternate between using those and doing it myself. The last oil change was done by the dealer.

So yesterday I got the car up on ramps and went under there with my wrench and pan. Couldn't get the plug loose; not with a wrench, not with a ratchet, not even with an 18" breaker bar. I stopped when my efforts began to round off the plug. I have an impact wrench, but I didn't try that; I didn't want to risk rounding it off the rest of the way or breaking something and winding up needing a tow.

On close examination of the plug, I don't see a crush washer. I think the dealer tech forgot the crush washer and just cranked it down metal-to-metal until it stopped leaking.

Obviously that's their problem and I'm going to make them fix it, but it's still pretty annoying.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,163 Posts
When I bought the car, I got the maintenance package, so I have a certain number of prepaid oil changes. I alternate between using those and doing it myself. The last oil change was done by the dealer.

So yesterday I got the car up on ramps and went under there with my wrench and pan. Couldn't get the plug loose; not with a wrench, not with a ratchet, not even with an 18" breaker bar. I stopped when my efforts began to round off the plug. I have an impact wrench, but I didn't try that; I didn't want to risk rounding it off the rest of the way or breaking something and winding up needing a tow.

On close examination of the plug, I don't see a crush washer. I think the dealer tech forgot the crush washer and just cranked it down metal-to-metal until it stopped leaking.

Obviously that's their problem and I'm going to make them fix it, but it's still pretty annoying.
Sorry about that. It will be interesting to see how the dealer reacts to it, if you've also being doing your own changes...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have a good relationship with the service writer, so I don't think they'll give me any trouble. But still, it's irritating.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
242 Posts
I wonder if they used an impact wrench to tighten it. Places do that, and they do not use a torque limiter often, if at all.

Drain plugs normally require 30-36lbs torque. I think Subaru is 30.8, but don't quote me on that.

Perhaps this is your excuse to get a Fumoto drain valve? I am thinking about getting one at some point.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Since it sounds like you started rounding the plug...it could be on you. Be up front with them. I am not slamming you but "Leffty losey, Righty tighty" It happens when you are working under the car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps this is your excuse to get a Fumoto drain valve? I am thinking about getting one at some point.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I've been against those, but this is a powerful argument in favor.

Since it sounds like you started rounding the plug...it could be on you. Be up front with them. I am not slamming you but "Leffty losey, Righty tighty" It happens when you are working under the car.
Oh, I would not be anything other than up front with them. I can guarantee, though, that I was turning the correct direction. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry to hear, but unfortunately, pretty typical. At a minimum, the oil plug threads on the pan should be inspected and re-tapped. I'd make them replace the pan. These guys will screw up tapping the threads(leave metal bits in motor, cross thread, etc...).
regards

·
Not a Canadian
2,524 Posts
Did you notice if the dealer over-filled the oil? That's why I stopped taking my cars to them for changes. I took our Outback in for the first 3 changes. Its capacity is 5.1 qts. All 3 times they must have put in 6 qts despite my complaining about it all 3 times. I won't let them get near my Crosstrek's oil drain plug.

<BTW and for you Canadians, 5.1 qts is the same as 4.83 liters just in case you're confused>

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,209 Posts
Were you using a 6 point or 12 point wrench or socket? Less chance of rounding the head with a 6 point wrench or socket.

Has anyone replaced their Crosstrek's 14mm oil drain plug with a 17mm?

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
253 Posts
Well, I have a good relationship with the service writer, so I don't think they'll give me any trouble. But still, it's irritating.
I do not want any relationship with the dealership service writer. Keeping my distance is all I want.

I am not sure that I would want the mechanic who caused such a problem to be the one to "fix" it. With the bolt head being partially rounded off it may be time to get a set of fluted bolt extractors like https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-HANSON-BOLT-GRIP-Extractor-394001/dp/B0000CCXVZ. I have not used one, but I know of people who swear by them.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were you using a 6 point or 12 point wrench or socket? Less chance of rounding the head with a 6 point wrench or socket.

The box end wrench I tried originally was 12 point. That didn't slip, but it didn't move the plug either. Then I went to a 3/8" ratchet and a six point socket. When that didn't work, I got out a 1/2" breaker bar, and my 1/2" sockets are all 12 point. It was at that point (ha) that I started to damage the head. I switched back to the 6 point 3/8" socket, on the 1/2" breaker bar using an adapter, tapping the six point socket down onto the head with a hammer to seat it down far enough to reach the undamaged area. But even so, it wouldn't come loose.

Pretty sure the impact wrench would have knocked it free, but if it busted something else I'd have been stuck. Better to let the dealer have that problem.

I would like to have a 17mm plug, but the last time I tried to look one up in the Subaru parts catalog, they're discontinued in favor of the 14mm.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resolution.

I took the car to the dealer this morning and explained the issue, including how the plug came to be damaged. They also had problems removing it. They have some sort of device that heats a fastener without heating the surrounding area, and they had to use that to break it loose. The service writer informed me that the tech who last worked on the car has since been dismissed for unsatisfactory work. I reminded him that the last time the car was in, the tech broke a wheel stud during tire rotation. Same guy. Seems like a pattern.

Anyway, it's fixed now, new drain plug, no charge.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

My MY16 came with a 17mm plug.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been wrenching for 60 years. Truthfully I can not remember ever rounding off a bolt. Buy a good set of six points instead. And keep the socket squarely on the bold head.
Yeah, this experience made me realize I need 6-point 1/2" sockets. Ordered a Tekton set.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts