Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t want to hijack the pre-delivery checklist thread with this, but at the top of that list is to make sure that the dealer did not install a cheap, aftermarket immobilizer.

Remembering that they had charged me quite a bit for an “upgraded security system” that was a non-negotiable dealer add-on, I just checked and there is indeed an immobilizer that was dealer installed.

Any suggestions as to what to do? Is this a bad thing as was stated in the pre-delivery checklist thread?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Personally I would think it is a bad thing. And I also think that Subaru might even dance around a warranty claim should the existence of the immobilizer is considered to be the cause.

And they wonder why they get called "Stealerships". Too many of them are and they do make it bad for the straight arrows.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,183 Posts
Remembering that they had charged me quite a bit for an “upgraded security system” that was a non-negotiable dealer add-on, I just checked and there is indeed an immobilizer that was dealer installed.
This is why I keep posting to not buy from a dealership. This type of thing leaves such a sour taste in my mouth. Just order from a broker and sidestep the sales pressure. Mine was even a lower price that the dealers in my state.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is why I keep posting to not buy from a dealership. This type of thing leaves such a sour taste in my mouth. Just order from a broker and sidestep the sales pressure. Mine was even a lower price that the dealers in my state.
I should have. I tried to do my research before buying, but buying from a broker slipped past me. Next time I will.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,629 Posts
If I hadn't taken delivery of the car on learning about this, I wouldn't. If I had, I would contact Subaru and then lawyer up and have the lawyer deal with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would tell the dealer to remove it. When they decline, I'd call SOA and make a huge fuss.
I may do that. I called the dealership earlier before making this post to verify what the “upgraded security system” entailed. He told me it was a kill switch (immobilizer) that worked when a window or door was broken into. He said that it also comes with $4000 in coverage should someone break a window and steal anything.

Even if I don’t call to insist that they remove it, I may call SoA to complain about the dealership mandating the purchase of an “upgraded security system.” at a huge dealer mark up that I didn’t want or ask for, and was in addition to the agreed upon price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I hadn't taken delivery of the car on learning about this, I wouldn't. If I had, I would contact Subaru and then lawyer up and have the lawyer deal with them.
I have taken delivery and put roughly 1000 miles on it before I checked this morning for the immobilizer based on the pre-delivery checklist thread.

I knew I was getting stuck with an “upgraded security system” at a huge mark up when I took delivery, but I didn’t know exactly what that was.

I don’t know if this is something that I would go through the hassle and expense of getting a lawyer for. But I may start with filing a complaint with SoA depending on how this goes.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,376 Posts
I didn’t want to hijack the pre-delivery checklist thread with this, but at the top of that list is to make sure that the dealer did not install a cheap, aftermarket immobilizer.

Any suggestions as to what to do? Is this a bad thing as was stated in the pre-delivery checklist thread?
There's also a link to my ordeal!

Subaru does not want dealers to do this - they have to cut into the ignition wiring loom, which may cause problems down the road and/or invalidate the warranty. These are crappy pieces of junk that could fail when you're halfway up a mountain in a snowstorm!

Insist that they replace the loom and give you a Subaru Gold warranty that covers electronics. Don't let them replace the loom as it extends to almost everything inside the car but it's good leverage... 😸

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's also a link to my ordeal!

Subaru does not want dealers to do this - they have to cut into the ignition wiring loom, which may cause problems down the road and/or invalidate the warranty. These are crappy pieces of junk that could fail when you're halfway up a mountain in a snowstorm!

Insist that they replace the loom and give you a Subaru Gold warranty that covers electronics. Don't let them replace the loom as it extends to almost everything inside the car but it's good leverage... 😸
I just read through all of the posts in your link, thank you. Time to contact SoA, then confront the dealership.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yea that’s crazy that they do that, I would tell them you are going to buy from a different dealer if they can’t get you one without it from the factory. Seems you are past this point now, don’t support crap like this by buying from them.
If you do still want a security system you can wire a vdc delete button, without it in the car won’t go out of park.

most theives nowadays just flatbed your car away anyways.

·
Prefers black cats
12,376 Posts
Yea that’s crazy that they do that, I would tell them you are going to buy from a different dealer if they can’t get you one without it from the factory. Seems you are past this point now, don’t support crap like this by buying from them.
If you do still want a security system you can wire a vdc delete button, without it in the car won’t go out of park.

most theives nowadays just flatbed your car away anyways.
The big dealers around here have hundreds of cars in inventory (or used to) and real estate costs a fortune so they store them in huge off-site lots, in icky parts of the county. When we decided on a Crosstrek but didn't like the color (it was orange, LOL) the salesperson drove us to a huge lot where the DGM Crosstrek Limited was, that we bought. It wouldn't surprise me if some go missing and that it's just part of the overhead.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any kind of additional security system. You'll likely void the warranty and the thieves will already have caused a lot of damage by the time they figure out that they can't steal your car. Just let the insurance deal with it. FWIW, I've never had a car stolen and, in all the years I've lived in the Los Angeles area, the only time I had a car broken into was when I visited a girlfriend in San Francisco.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Agreeing with others that this is just another in a long list of dealer add-on garbage items. That said I do want to point out something that I do not think has been discussed yet (apologies if I missed it)... The biggest reason that these immobilizers do not make sense (at least to the end customer) is that Subaru has one built in for Starlink Security Subscribers. Sure you have to file a police report, have a subscription to the services, and contact them to activate it, but I am sure Subaru would much rather have you subscribe to the service than pay for a dealer installed device that hacks into the wiring. I also imagine the price savings of the subscription is substantial given the inflated numbers dealers charge on these types of add ons.

·
Prefers black cats
12,376 Posts
Agreeing with others that this is just another in a long list of dealer add-on garbage items. That said I do want to point out something that I do not think has been discussed yet (apologies if I missed it)... The biggest reason that these immobilizers do not make sense (at least to the end customer) is that Subaru has one built in for Starlink Security Subscribers. Sure you have to file a police report, have a subscription to the services, and contact them to activate it, but I am sure Subaru would much rather have you subscribe to the service than pay for a dealer installed device that hacks into the wiring. I also imagine the price savings of the subscription is substantial given the inflated numbers dealers charge on these types of add ons.

It may be that the dealer is trying to upsell a worthless, crappy "security system" that costs them peanuts and some unfortunate buyers pay $500-1K or more for it. Here in CA we have some of the most stringent consumer protection laws but car dealers are the worst!!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It may be that the dealer is trying to upsell a worthless, crappy "security system" that costs them peanuts and some unfortunate buyers pay $500-1K or more for it. Here in CA we have some of the most stringent consumer protection laws but car dealers are the worst!!!
I am sure that is exactly what it is. Just pointing out that with the built in Subaru system that is pretty much the only thing it can be. The car already does it (if you pay for the subscription service).

·
He wasn't there!
1,629 Posts
I have taken delivery and put roughly 1000 miles on it before I checked this morning for the immobilizer based on the pre-delivery checklist thread.

I knew I was getting stuck with an “upgraded security system” at a huge mark up when I took delivery, but I didn’t know exactly what that was.

I don’t know if this is something that I would go through the hassle and expense of getting a lawyer for. But I may start with filing a complaint with SoA depending on how this goes.

Contact SOA and tell them that you are considering getting a lawyer if this is not resolved. And if it is not resolved, then get a lawyer, and then go big. Have the lawyer tell the dealer to not only remove the system and make all repairs, but to pay for the car itself, as a penalty.

·
He wasn't there!
1,629 Posts
The big dealers around here have hundreds of cars in inventory (or used to) and real estate costs a fortune so they store them in huge off-site lots, in icky parts of the county. When we decided on a Crosstrek but didn't like the color (it was orange, LOL) the salesperson drove us to a huge lot where the DGM Crosstrek Limited was, that we bought. It wouldn't surprise me if some go missing and that it's just part of the overhead.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any kind of additional security system. You'll likely void the warranty and the thieves will already have caused a lot of damage by the time they figure out that they can't steal your car. Just let the insurance deal with it. FWIW, I've never had a car stolen and, in all the years I've lived in the Los Angeles area, the only time I had a car broken into was when I visited a girlfriend in San Francisco.

Urban (dealership) legend around here was a Toyota dealer that lost a Camry. And several years later, it returned to their lot, but a new Camry was missing.

·
Prefers black cats
12,376 Posts
I am sure that is exactly what it is. Just pointing out that with the built in Subaru system that is pretty much the only thing it can be. The car already does it (if you pay for the subscription service).
Correction: mattress salespeople are worse - we just bought a new mattress... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 13ST14XV

·
Registered
101 Posts
At the risk of derailing the thread… AstroKats is absolutely right about mattress stores in general.
(Find a reputable mom-and-pop manufacturer where you can watch your actual mattress built, to your specs, on the factory floor…)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts