Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2021 Crosstrek last week. The steering wheel is crooked and the dealer can’t fix it. Is this normal?

it’s off by about 5 degrees. I’m starting to think it’s my head that’s crooked.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
242 Posts
Is the car alignment ok or was the wheel just installed incorrectly. If the dealer cannot correct it, contact Subaru corporate and see what they say.

That would drive me crazy. I would be thinking about talking to them about either fixing it, or replacing the vehicle. If nothing else.....a discount on what you paid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured out what was going on.
I accessed the dealer mode (which I couldn’t find out how to do online) by guessing buttons. FYI the button combination is: hold home+media then press tune several times.

that allowed me to access the steering angle sensor reading. It’s off by about 2.5 degrees. Nothing to be done accept for having the dealer recalibrate the sensor. They are giving me an attitude about it too.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,163 Posts
Surprising as there are lots of posts here about the hidden and dealer menus...

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
242 Posts
Figured out what was going on.
I accessed the dealer mode (which I couldn’t find out how to do online) by guessing buttons. FYI the button combination is: hold home+media then press tune several times.

that allowed me to access the steering angle sensor reading. It’s off by about 2.5 degrees. Nothing to be done accept for having the dealer recalibrate the sensor. They are giving me an attitude about it too.
Yeah, call corporate and explain what is going on so they can TELL the dealer to take care of it. Either that, or go to another dealer...you know, one that wants repeat business.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,163 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,163 Posts
Cool. This is definitely worth your time to argue about. Thanks.
Just giving you the facts. Sorry I was unable to help. I hope you get your issues sorted out...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
Just got a 2021 Crosstrek Limited. Unfortunately the steering wheel is a few degrees off. Shame on me for not test driving my car before paying, I know. The dealer has taken 4 tries to fix it and they are incompetent. On the last one, I finally got them to recalibrate the steering angle sensor, which I told them to do the first time, but they didnt get it quite right. Its pretty clear they are not good at alignments either.

This has led me to looking into solving the issue myself. I am going to have the car aligned at a shop I like, then zero the sensor so it matches the alignment.

I have access to the SSM4 software, but its from 2017. Im guessing it will allow me to recalibrate the sensor since what the dealer uses. So.....

I need to know what cable to use to hook it up to the car.

I also need to know if SSM from 2017 will work with a brand new 2021.

I know there is a "FreeSSM" open source software package out there, but I dont know if it will allow me to zero the steering sensor.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This post merged into this thread as it is the same topic at hand. - Moderator.

·
Super-Duper Moderator
606 Posts
Your next step should be calling SOA 1-800-782-2783 and escalating the issue.

There are plenty of dealerships in your region. It is still under warranty and SOA's responsibility to sort it out.

C.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing is that I’ve already spent about 5 hours of my time waiting on these idiots to figure it out. I can solve this problem for sure with $70 and a steering angle sensor reset.
This isn’t worth any more of my time to go through the proper Subaru channels. I’m not waiting on idiots.

·
Super-Duper Moderator
606 Posts
"ID10ts" or not at that particular dealership. Going through SOA channels now will help minimize any future headaches if future bugs in the electric steering develop.

Go to another dealership if you feel alienated by the one you've been dealing with.

As a consumer, you have the right to do that, and work on your own car.... But with it being this early in the game for ownership, I would seek other avenues by the manufacturer.

Then again it is your choice to do as you please.

C.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to follow up on this. I went thought SOA and opened a case. I got a reply from them stating that they talked to the dealer, they trust them to do the work right, case was closed.

So pretty useless.

I ended up taking this to a alignment shop down the street and they sorted it out in 30 minutes for $70.

Im really happy I didnt end up buying the exteneded warrenty. What is the point if the dealer doing the work is a joke.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
344 Posts
Just to follow up on this. I went thought SOA and opened a case. I got a reply from them stating that they talked to the dealer, they trust them to do the work right, case was closed.

So pretty useless.

I ended up taking this to a alignment shop down the street and they sorted it out in 30 minutes for $70.

Im really happy I didnt end up buying the exteneded warrenty. What is the point if the dealer doing the work is a joke.
Sometimes it can be hard to find the right dealership and create that trust with them. I’m glad you got the car fixed, though. If you need to do future warranty work you should look at a different dealership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Learning all this makes me more disappointed in the dealership. I was told explicitly that I had to bring the car in for service in order to maintain the warranty.

This is just one of the lies I caught them in. I really regret buying a car there.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
344 Posts
Learning all this makes me more disappointed in the dealership. I was told explicitly that I had to bring the car in for service in order to maintain the warranty.

This is just one of the lies I caught them in. I really regret buying a car there.
Don’t go back, ever! They’re out to get out. I can’t imagine who else they said that to other customers...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts