Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Dealer agreed to install aftermarket CVT cooler:)

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
6K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  TR8R 
#1 ·
I am so VERY happy right now. While TR8R was in for first oil change today I had a good talk with the lead service advisor that’s in charge of all their “special” off road builds. After explaining the math of my towing 1400-1500lbs well within spec but we both agreed Subi missed the boat on CVT cooling and they agreed it’s in all our best interest for there to be one. So I just gotta buy that Masimoto 19row from the WRX they’re using on the CTs and they’ll install it with zero negative affect to 7yr gold wtty.

Common sense wins this one:)

#3 ·
I believe crosstreks come with a cvt cooler with warming function it is a liquid to liquid cooler with coolant warming or cooling the cvt fluid as required. with regular towing it is probably a good idea to add an air to oil cooler. Nice to have a dealer that has some common sense for a change.

#4 ·
Having the ScanGauge data and seeing 208F max on a 55F day towing within stated towing capacity, it didn’t take long to realize where it was going on a 90F+ day. That extra 20F of cooling from the secondary cooler makes all the difference in the world.

Just to be clear this is installed in line with the CVT condenser cooler. It still gets the warming benefit if needed since condenser follows aftermarket cooler.

It was like…I’m going to tow 1500lbs on a hot day…it’s going to happen but Subi says great as is per their specs. Without the extra cooler you’re rolling dice on CVT replacement. Which do YOU think is in YOUR best interest? Lol…it worked.

#10 ·
Do you know what ID or OD and type of hose is used from the cvt to the intercooler and then to your tranny radiator? Im building one myself but want to make sure im getting the right sizes and types of hoses before i start taking things apart.

And before people start linking oem tranny lines, yes i looked, no diameters were given. Thanks.

#11 ·
Ordered the Mishimoto yesterday and scheduled with the dealer for install on 7/18. Will report some numbers again after that. On a side note, they agreed to install an engine oil cooler to if it ends up being an issue. Gotta say they’ve stepped up recently. Yes warranty in writing😎

#18 ·
I’ve got mine on the hook for 7yr SUA gold wtty. It is very clear who’s out of luck if I tow the max 1500lbs Subaru rated tow capacity (braked) on a hot summer day up/down grades. They are the ones on the hook to replace the CVT if something happen so it makes $ sense in their favor to install/wtty it. I’m also in Severe Use Maint Sched so CVT fluid is getting replaced much more often. Again in their financial favor in the long run for several reasons. And they get to bend me over a barrel on labor/wtty. 😂😂 It’s simple insurance for everyone involved.

We have competing dealerships here who specialize in aftermarket builds w lifts, wheels, tires, etc. I bought mine already lifted w KO2s. They are in Wilsonville and Salem. I told Salem that Wilsonville would do it if they didn’t.

It may have also helped that I was very verbal about having the ScanGauge3 recording data on all my trips to include CVTF temp.

To me it’s a logical argument and they agreed. Just keep shopping around:)

#19 ·
Yea, I thought they would see the logic in it. As I also have the Gold Plus Warranty and I hammered the finance guy and walked away paying $900 for 84 months/70k miles. Not many aftermarket build dealerships in my part of Socal. If anything goes wrong and they wanna buy me a new transmission in 7 years. Sweet. I'll just add the cooler after. :) I'll keep searching. Might get lucky with one dealer. I don't ever see me hauling past 1500lbs, my max may be 1200lb. Until I get a single rail trailer for my motorcycle. Uhaul trailer is 800lbs and my bike is 400lbs. For the most part its flat...but there is 1 5 1/2 grade I will need to go up and over from time to time. The heat is not constantly scorching, but there are some hot days...especially going more inland. I did order a OBD2 bluetooth monitor. Will keep track. Maybe once I have some data they may think differently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.