Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
I remember reading when there was a change from coal gas to Natural Gas, Natural Gas unlike the more deadly coal gas, didn't have an odour. People were accidentally leaving the gas on which lead to some pretty volatile situations. Smokers not realising the room was filling with gas, striking a match to light a cigarette and the like. So a scent had to be added to remind/babyproof them. I thought, how could they not know they left their gas on? Wouldn't they hear the hissing? Every generation blames the one before #thelivingyears 馃惃

Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
At the time that the OP's linked article was published (May 2018) there had been more deaths from keyless ignitions than from Takata airbag explosions.

Here's a true, somewhat embarrassing, story. Several years ago I had a Nissan Altima rental while staying in Banff Canada. The Altima was the first time I had driven a car with a keyless ignition. The condos we rented had a large, multi-vehicle, enclosed garage underneath. As we were leaving for a group hike one morning I had removed the car from the garage thinking I was driving. Another driver offered us a ride in his van so I returned the Altima to the garage. I recall pushing the Push to Start/Stop button and exited the car. When we got back from hiking 8 hours later the driver of the van parked in the garage. He later reported to me that I had left my headlights on and he said they looked dim. I went out to the garaged Altima expecting to have a dead battery. Instead I found he engine running and the "dim" lights he observed were the daytime running lights. Fortunately this garage was large and had no direct access to the condos above, so the fumes did no harm. A year later when shopping for my 2018 Subaru Forester I purposely avoided the Touring trim because it had a keyless ignition. Besides the Banff incident, there are other reasons why I still prefer a key.

Registered
As people age, they need more and more reminders and baby proofing. Seeing how the 55 and over aged people represent the largest segment of the population, I suspect we will see more and more of this dumbing down.
Hard to beleive thats a serious comment. Who wants autonomous driving? who needs help keeping in ther lane or cant reverse park their car? these arent the features over 55s are looking for. Reminders and baby proofing seems to be more the provence of the safe space generation.

Registered
Sorry to burst the boomers vs mellenials argument as there are a TON of dumb people of all ages.

As for bare bones vs safety features I drove a 19 outback with all the features (lane assist, collisions, etc) and I found after driving for a bit with them you really get complacent and rely on them more, making you end up paying less attention to what is actually going on around you which I think teaches bad habits. Not saying it鈥檚 less safe but it puts you in an unsafe situation when you are expecting them to work a certain way.

Coming from my 12鈥 Impreza with no features (no backup cam, or eyesight)

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
IN GENERAL, all the electronic features of the new cars are making drivers less aware of what they are doing to include their surroundings on the road (e.g. LAZY).
BINGO! I was around before automatic dialing. Some how I used to remember most people's phone numbers. Now that the directories are in our phones, I remember NOBODY's number!

Not only is technology making us physically lazy, it's making us mentally lazy.

IF idle > 30 minutes AND fob not detected
THEN stop engine
ELSE let the geezer croak
30 minutes?? I would think 30 seconds would be more appropriate.

I still prefer my old Luddite key in ignition. The day I forget to take my key out of the ignition is the day my key should be taken away.

Reactions: SubaruBill

Registered
Who wants autonomous driving? who needs help keeping in ther lane or cant reverse park their car? these arent the features over 55s are looking for.
Coming from an 'analogue' manual car I thought I'd keep a lot of the tech turned off or ignore it. Hard to avoid in cars today.
For me the thrill of driving is, well, the driving and I agree I don't want an autonomous car.
Frankly I'd rather have a flying one LOL.
Yet, I've come to enjoy most of the driver assist features when I'm driving for work and that's how I think of them. They just assist. I have to drive around a lot and the work days are a lot less tiring now. My husband has a neck/back issue and finds the rear camera, cross traffic alert and blind spot detection really helpful. Never asked for them, or thought we wanted them but there you go.

Registered
I exited the car once w/out shutting down engine. Was outside so didn't hear engine or noise didn't register. Anyhow, when doors would not lock (using finger on handle), I realized the engine was still running. Also believe the vehicle beeped.

Assume same with Key Fob. With actual key, my guess is key would turn, doors would lock, BUT vehicle would beep????

Reactions: SubieSubieDo
21 - 27 of 27 Posts