Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just saw this: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/business/deadly-convenience-keyless-cars-and-their-carbon-monoxide-toll.html

I tested ours and the car beeped a couple of times after I opened the door while the engine was running but it wasn't very loud over the roar of the engine (I had just started it so it was idling pretty fast). Then I closed the door and walked away and it stayed running. Not sure if it would eventually shut off. There's no mention of this in the manual and the beeping was probably just the open door warning.

The engine is quite loud outside of the vehicle, so that's probably why this is a problem for older folks who may have some hearing loss.

As the article states, it seems it wouldn't take much software engineering to have it turn off after a minute if someone walks away with the fob.

Edit: typo - should have been WOULDN'T take much software engineering to have it turn off after a minute if someone walks away with the fob.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF idle > 30 minutes AND fob not detected
THEN stop engine
ELSE let the geezer croak
LOL, although your IF statement is making the assumption that <30 mins of idling is enough to be deadly and, if so, no point in shutting of the engine... :D

Btw, I fixed my typo - it shouldn't take much to fix this. I wonder why none of the manufacturers are doing it? Oh, right, because they build cars, they don't know how to write software! :icon_rolleyes:

OrcaSnack wrote that he was able to drive the car away without the fob once the engine was running - now THAT'S scary!! I can imagine a scenario where you start the car, then run back into the house to get your sunglasses, set the key fob down on the counter while looking for them, then take off without the fob (if someone hasn't already stolen your brand new Crosstrek), that is!

·
Registered
54 Posts
OrcaSnack wrote that he was able to drive the car away without the fob once the engine was running - now THAT'S scary!! I can imagine a scenario where you start the car, then run back into the house to get your sunglasses, set the key fob down on the counter while looking for them, then take off without the fob (if someone hasn't already stolen your brand new Crosstrek), that is!
Right, only after you get to your destination and shut the car off you realize you left the fob at home.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
This whole post remind me of that guy who did a video of driving around then throwing the fob out the window to see what will happen. The car couldn't care less at all. Think of this as a "feature" that let you drive on if your stupid kid/crazy ex throw the fob out of the window.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
As people age, they need more and more reminders and baby proofing. Seeing how the 55 and over aged people represent the largest segment of the population, I suspect we will see more and more of this dumbing down.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
IN GENERAL, all the electronic features of the new cars are making drivers less aware of what they are doing to include their surroundings on the road (e.g. LAZY). The "edge" is being taken off the required level of alertness. For example, I've noticed that when I drive my 1993 Ford Ranger I have to remind myself that I don't have the convenience of all that Eyesight does and the various warnings that I get with side traffic, backing etc. I have to tell myself, "Okie Hick, you are not in the Crosstrek! You are not in the Crosstrek! You ARE NOT in the Crosstrek!" The only safety features on the truck are the brakes, rear view mirror, steering. It doesn't even have air bags. So before I take off in the truck, I have to be sure that my total awareness mode is fully calibrated.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I guess I'm a neanderthal throwback, but I don't want any of the infotainment/eyesight/electronic nanny-crap on my car. *I* drive my car! Rule #1: Drive The Car!

After they're done with the "deadly convenience" features, they can start on the "deadly entertainment" features.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As people age, they need more and more reminders and baby proofing. Seeing how the 55 and over aged people represent the largest segment of the population, I suspect we will see more and more of this dumbing down.
Gotta disagree with you on this one.
I had a long talk with a Crosstrek owner in a parking lot one morning, just asking general questions and stuff.
Since I don't have one yet all the questions were geared toward the Crosstrek.
I told him I test drove one that had the eyesore in it and how I didn't like it as it didn't want to work the way I wanted it to.
Long story short. Turns out he was the service manager at the Sub. lot down the street. He made the comment that eyesore and some of the other do-dads are for the millennial's as they are the lazy ones that can't take care of themselves.
Good laugh over that one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
IN GENERAL, all the electronic features of the new cars are making drivers less aware of what they are doing to include their surroundings on the road (e.g. LAZY). The "edge" is being taken off the required level of alertness. For example, I've noticed that when I drive my 1993 Ford Ranger I have to remind myself that I don't have the convenience of all that Eyesight does and the various warnings that I get with side traffic, backing etc. I have to tell myself, "Okie Hick, you are not in the Crosstrek! You are not in the Crosstrek! You ARE NOT in the Crosstrek!" The only safety features on the truck are the brakes, rear view mirror, steering. It doesn't even have air bags. So before I take off in the truck, I have to be sure that my total awareness mode is fully calibrated.
When I drive the wife's WRX I have to remind myself constantly that it does not have bind spot monitoring and cruise control will not stop me from cruising into the car in front of me. Then when I drive my Crosstrek I have to remind myself there is no clutch.

·
Registered
919 Posts
People mistakenly leaving vehicles running?

How about having some personal responsibility and checking that strange moving needle called a tachometer and verifying it is at 0 before leaving the vehicle?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Gotta disagree with you on this one.
I had a long talk with a Crosstrek owner in a parking lot one morning, just asking general questions and stuff.
Since I don't have one yet all the questions were geared toward the Crosstrek.
I told him I test drove one that had the eyesore in it and how I didn't like it as it didn't want to work the way I wanted it to.
Long story short. Turns out he was the service manager at the Sub. lot down the street. He made the comment that eyesore and some of the other do-dads are for the millennial's as they are the lazy ones that can't take care of themselves.
Good laugh over that one.
Maybe eyesight is not for you, great. They make them that way. I want all the toys, and I'm picking up our 3rd Subaru, each of them with Eyesight, next week.

The Crosstrek with eyesight for me. Some will laugh about it not being for them, but it can save your bacon, or someone who drives your car. Eyesight: Not perfect, but pretty good. AND you can turn the nanny off, if you like. I'd rather have it and turn it off (which I do sometimes) than not have it.

Eyesight is intrusive when driven somewhat aggressively, and I have hit the brakes before/ during a sudden road issue that gets noticed by the system. I'm okay with being bothered by it for the chance that it will stop us when we need it.
We have young drivers, and I like adaptive cruise on long trips, and I like a second opinion about not hitting stuff for me and my family. Blind spot monitoring is something I didn't think I'd use, but it helps sometimes.

The Crosstrek is a favorite vehicle of mine, and the eyesight system is awesome for us. The car and the system are not perfection. I'd buy a car without do-dads for fun. I own helmets, and I keep buying helmets for all the 'risky' stuff that I do at speed. I've never had to replace a helmet that was crashed, I just buy new ones that are newer.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe eyesight is not for you, great. They make them that way. I want all the toys, and I'm picking up our 3rd Subaru, each of them with Eyesight, next week.

The Crosstrek with eyesight for me. Some will laugh about it not being for them, but it can save your bacon, or someone who drives your car. Eyesight: Not perfect, but pretty good. AND you can turn the nanny off, if you like. I'd rather have it and turn it off (which I do sometimes) than not have it.

Eyesight is intrusive when driven somewhat aggressively, and I have hit the brakes before/ during a sudden road issue that gets noticed by the system. I'm okay with being bothered by it for the chance that it will stop us when we need it.
We have young drivers, and I like adaptive cruise on long trips, and I like a second opinion about not hitting stuff for me and my family. Blind spot monitoring is something I didn't think I'd use, but it helps sometimes.

The Crosstrek is a favorite vehicle of mine, and the eyesight system is awesome for us. The car and the system are not perfection. I'd buy a car without do-dads for fun. I own helmets, and I keep buying helmets for all the 'risky' stuff that I do at speed. I've never had to replace a helmet that was crashed, I just buy new ones that are newer.
We love the Eyesight features, too...

Getting off-topic, though. Here's another article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/business/carbon-monoxide-keyless-cars.html

The only reason I can think of to leave a car running when you're not actually sitting in it is if you're trying to warm it up to melt snow and ice off the windows. You should have to specifically set it to that, otherwise it should turn off when you wander away from the car, IMHO. Should be just a software update.

Reactions: DressedInBlack

·
Registered
13 Posts

I agree, I have the eye sight on my 2018 Forester XT Ltd & like it.

We just ordered a new Crosstrek Ltd for my wife & it too will have the eye sight package.

An added bonus with the eye sight is the insurance premium reduction.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Throw a O2 sensor into the cars ignition system, and if the level of oxygen in the air gets too low the car automatically shuts down. Or a carbon monoxide sensor.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Throw a O2 sensor into the cars ignition system, and if the level of oxygen in the air gets too low the car automatically shuts down. Or a carbon monoxide sensor.
A CO sensor is a great idea. All of the deaths have happened in closed garages. This also solves the problem of someone who wants to leave the car running in the driveway to melt snow or ice off the windows.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Crosstrek gives audible beeps if you try to exit with the engine running. And everybody should have CO detectors in their house anyway. We just replaced all of our smoke detectors (you have to replace smoke detectors every 10 years and we were well past) with Nest Protect smoke + CO detectors.

I really don't understand why anybody would not want the extra safety that Eyesight provides.

·
Registered
610 Posts
LOL It's not that we're stupid. We've just acquired way too much muscle memory from playing with keys, locks, gears, cogs, levers, chains, pulleys, clockwork devices when we were kids. 🤪 My brain still responds with a childlike excitement when I walk up to the car and just open the door. I'm fine with it after all the technology is only 25 years old and I do expect some progress. :geek: 🐨

1 - 20 of 27 Posts