Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I am driving my other car, I came out in the morning and battery was dead. A month ago I had car sitting for a week and battery was weak, but I did not think anything about it.
Today my Crosstrek (2016), after sitting for 5 days and temp dropping to 0 F, would not start because battery is completely dead. Are those Subaru batteries are that crappy?.

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
I will start by saying Subaru does not make the batteries. Also, it is possible that you had a bad one that may have failed. That being said, many posts here mention the CCAs being fairly weak compared to other cars in this class. I'm no battery expert but maybe the weather is taking its toll on the battery.

Have you don't anything different lately? Run the car's electronics without the engine running or have any electrical modifications?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
A couple of thoughts....

- ScubaSteve is correct about outsourcing batteries, although Subaru would have established the specifications for the part.
- It is possible that you had a defective battery (weak cell?) from the start, and it now showed its ugly head. I had a 2009 Mercedes C Class, and on the very first oil change service, the tech noted a weak cell and replaced the battery, so this is not a function of the price class of the vehicles.
- It is also possible that something in your vehicle is creating a constant, albeit slight, drain.

For all of the above reasons, when the tests and replaces the battery, also ask them if they find that the root cause was the battery, itself, or if they can identify anything causing the battery to drain.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Are those Subaru batteries are that crappy?.
Yes... yes they are... If you want proof for my answer, search this forum for battery complaints then go to a non-subaru car forum and search for battery complaints. Odds are pretty good that this one has more. Seems like I see a post here about the battery dying at least once a month. Only recall seeing them on other forums once or twice a year. Here cars are frequently newer when battery issue threads are posted. Other forums typically have cars that are a few years old.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Seen it in many forums, even new cars, it depends even on location (how cold it gets) and lately cars seem to suffer more from things like that than in the past...
Last I heard if within the warranty period one brings the car back to the dealer and the battery fails the bench test they replace it (but you might pay for the testing if the battery is good and they cant find any other fault in the system)
I would go back to the dealer and first make really sure of what is their policy around that.
A battery is a battery and that can happen to any car, once one makes sure its really just the battery then they can get the best battery for their situation, in northern Canada theres people that dont even use the OEM and change the battery with a better one right away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah thanks for replays, I am hoping its just battery issue. My worry was that since I already seen that battery get weaker for no reason, it could be something else like my factory remote starter draining battery or something like that..
So now I have to look for bigger battery.
Any idea what 2016 Crosstrek has for alternator ? How many Amps ?

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Ah thanks for replays, I am hoping its just battery issue. My worry was that since I already seen that battery get weaker for no reason, it could be something else like my factory remote starter draining battery or something like that..
So now I have to look for bigger battery.
Any idea what 2016 Crosstrek has for alternator ? How many Amps ?
Since the car is still under warranty, get the dealer to test the system first. There's absolutely no reason to spend money on a battery now without getting the entire system tested (battery and charging circuit) especially if it's under warranty. Also, cold weather (anything approaching 0F let alone reaching it) reduces the functionality of the battery (ie ability to charge, hold a charge, output power) - just ask any AAA or tow truck driver about cold weather and battery calls and they will tell you that their calls go up, way up, when the weather gets cold.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The batteries in these cars are not the best, especially in colder climate areas. As 13ST14XV already mentioned, just do a search and you'll find a ton of complaints about weak or dead batteries in newer Crosstreks. I have had the same stock Panasonic batteries in a few different new vehicles and they all needed to be replaced within the first couple of years. Knowing this, I replaced the stock one in my 2016 Crosstrek right after I drove it off the lot brand new.

That said, I would still hit up the dealer and see if there isn't something other than a junk battery causing the problem. You may even be able to get a new battery under warranty. Even if you get a new one, I would still think about replacing it with something more robust if you plan to keep the car for a while.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had my battery replaced after I need 2 jumps. It was covered under warranty and they put in the bigger battery that they put in the Forester I believe. Go to the dealer and have it looked at!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not even 2 years, dead battery syndrome on a fully stock '16. I am located in Montreal, Canada & it has not really been cold yet.
Have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes....the batteries are pretty poor....I have never had a relatively new car battery fail before..ever...my dealer replaced it under warranty and said that they put a higher output battery in stead of the standard factory one......pretty awful if you ask me that it should fail...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Still on the trickle charger & still pretty dead. Will plug the thing back in, get a boost to start the car, & drive straight as an arrow to the dealer... & warn them not to turn off the ignition

·
Registered
195 Posts
Batteries are strange creatures. I have had them last 10 and 15 years and have had then only last 3 years...defiantly a mind of their own

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Still on the trickle charger & still pretty dead. Will plug the thing back in, get a boost to start the car, & drive straight as an arrow to the dealer... & warn them not to turn off the ignition
Trickle chargers tend not to do much if the battery is suflated or if the fluid levels are low which will also cause the battery to be sulfated after a bit of time.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Batteries are strange creatures. I have had them last 10 and 15 years and have had then only last 3 years...defiantly a mind of their own
Batteries are a chemical reaction in an variable environment - ie different temperatures, charging systems, time between charges, how much it's charged... so the results will vary. Also, no-one test that 'new' battery is actually outputting what you think it should (ie. is that new 500 CCA battery really outputting 500 CCA when you get it?), we just take it for granted that the battery that was provided performs the way it should. I was over on another forum and someone brought a new 2015 Accord had a battery with a date code from 2012...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Final update on the battery. Dead. The trickle charger showed the battery is fully charged, but doesn't want to hold the charge for long. Subaru dealer ran the diagnostic for the alternator & battery &... we left with a new battery! This morning, it is -15c & the 'Trek started right up!

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,186 Posts
Final update on the battery. Dead. The trickle charger showed the battery is fully charged, but doesn't want to hold the charge for long. Subaru dealer ran the diagnostic for the alternator & battery &... we left with a new battery! This morning, it is -15c & the 'Trek started right up!
Yup, once a battery is sulfated or stratified the charger will only hold a surface charge as evidenced by a rapid charge. Some battery chargers can revive some batteries (desulfate), but proper care of your battery is what will determine its longevity.

Running down a battery and not charging it up fully is the worst thing you can do. Short drives in winter are particularly bad. And it is often not noticeable until too late. People think that as long as your battery still starts your car it is good. However, it is best to check it periodically with a tester (be sure to remove the surface charge first), and then charge it up fully with a good rejuvinator charger.

A fully charged battery should be 12.7V or 12.9. But a surface charge will read 13.2 or higher, and does not indicate a fully charged battery.

·
Registered
600 Posts
As R P said,letting a modern car sit will drain the battery and that's the worst thing you can do.Modern cars have so many things that constantly draw power such as anti theft,radio presets and the memory in the ECU.If you're going to let it sit for more than a couple days then disconnect the battery.You have already seen first hand what happens when you don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
battery went dead on highway

So today I am driving my other car, I came out in the morning and battery was dead. A month ago I had car sitting for a week and battery was weak, but I did not think anything about it.
Today my Crosstrek (2016), after sitting for 5 days and temp dropping to 0 F, would not start because battery is completely dead. Are those Subaru batteries are that crappy?.
Our 2016 Subaru Crosstrek with 26K miles went dead on the highway. How is this possible? We bought the car for safety features but this is how someone can get killed. Had it towed to a Subaru dealer in YORK who said the battery was dead and " everything else checked out." Since when does a battery die while you are driving. My husband had been driving for nearly an hour.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
Our 2016 Subaru Crosstrek with 26K miles went dead on the highway. How is this possible? We bought the car for safety features but this is how someone can get killed. Had it towed to a Subaru dealer in YORK who said the battery was dead and " everything else checked out." Since when does a battery die while you are driving. My husband had been driving for nearly an hour.
There's a long, recent thread here about battery life: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical/167928-battery-voltage-charging.html

It could be you just had a bad OEM battery but there are lots of things that can cause batteries to die prematurely. Although, I've never heard of one dying on the highway. In fact, when I had AAA replace our Honda battery (mentioned in the thread), I watched the guy disconnect the old battery and install the new one while the engine was running so it didn't lose any of the radio presents, upset the security system, etc. The battery must have had some kind of failure that caused a short in the system.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts