Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,177 Posts
What can I say? Color me dense.
Not at all, I meant the exact opposite! This is a pretty sharp group and we all keep each other on our toes. I meant I should have been more specific with the power drain, in Watts, to several decimal places, LOL!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
259 Posts
Not at all, I meant the exact opposite! This is a pretty sharp group and we all keep each other on our toes. I meant I should have been more specific with the power drain, in Watts, to several decimal places, LOL!
Not to worry, you're still in the will. ;)

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,001 Posts
When rlouie was on the forum, we had quite a few good battery care discussions. I sort of gave up, as no matter what is said, people will still keep wrecking their batteries and then blame the OEM quality.

I missed his leaving. What happened?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,001 Posts
Yeah, just disappeared. Hope he is OK. He was a moderator.

I remember who it is. I just have been less active here past few months. And missed that.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,210 Posts
For those who want to know more... Here is a BU article about flooded lead acid batteries like you Crosstrek OEM.
And for those who have AGMs. Recommended for start/stop batteries.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Would one of those solar trickle chargers connected to the cig lighter work?
No, the cig port is disconnected when the car is off. I've installed a solar panel in the moonroof but the end result is disappointing as the moonroof is tinted. Even in direct sun it only generates about 5W from a 30W panel.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I add water once a year and the water level has never been below the plates. Batteries are 9 years old and still going strong. I was told to expect 10 years out of them.
Doesn't sound like you are getting much "boiling". That amount of water a year is pretty normal. My neighbour at the lake fried his batteries a couple times. He had a "professional" installation, paid big bucks, but they obviously did not have it set up right. I had a look at this batteries before they were replaced last time, and they were actually bulging out at the sides. And that was just after 4 years. So he went ahead and paid big bucks again to have another "professional" installation done. Will see how long it lasts this time.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
259 Posts
Doesn't sound like you are getting much "boiling". That amount of water a year is pretty normal. My neighbour at the lake fried his batteries a couple times. He had a "professional" installation, paid big bucks, but they obviously did not have it set up right. I had a look at this batteries before they were replaced last time, and they were actually bulging out at the sides. And that was just after 4 years. So he went ahead and paid big bucks again to have another "professional" installation done. Will see how long it lasts this time.
Well to be fair, I am not there a whole lot, so the system is probably only in bulk charge when I'm there drawing juice from the batteries. Otherwise they spend most of their time in float charge. When I'm there in the fall when the sun angle is lower, I need to run my portable generator every so often to help the panels charge the batteries. I have 8 older 60W panels, so idealy I can get 480W max. Considering they are 15 years old and now have a few dead sections, I am lucky to ever get in the 300-400W range.

Sounds like your neighbor is letting his batteries go into deep discharge too often and for too long. He would do himself a favor to buy a portable Honda generator and top off those batteries when they are nearing 50% discharge. Good deep cycle batteries are expensive. 16 400Ah batteries cost me around $5,000.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Sounds like your neighbor is letting his batteries go into deep discharge too often and for too long. He would do himself a favor to buy a portable Honda generator and top off those batteries when they are nearing 50% discharge. Good deep cycle batteries are expensive. 16 400Ah batteries cost me around $5,000.
He has a very fancy system (expensive) incl a generator, 4 huge L16 batteries. But still manages to run it dead at times, and then overcharge it. He is a real luddite and could never explain to me exactly what happens with his system. Luckily, he has lots of money, and just calls on his installer to check it once in a while. And they are happy to take his money.

I have a cheap DIY system, 1000 watts, Chinese MPPT controller and 6000W pure sine wave inverter, and 4 6V 205Ah batteries. Batteries are about 8 years old and still in perfect condition. I have never run my batteries below 50% (I set a high cut-off) or run short of power. My fridge and water heater are propane, so electrical usage is actually very low (LED lights, TV doesn't take much, etc). So basically all the conveniences of home. Only time I need to run the generator is for my log splitter which is about twice a year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did they replace the battery? From my tests, if there's nothing on in the car, the drain is negligible. Maybe your key was left close to the car?
They did not replace the battery. He said something had to be reprogrammed. And that you should not start the car with the charger on it. Made no sense to me.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
They did not replace the battery. He said something had to be reprogrammed. And that you should not start the car with the charger on it. Made no sense to me.
Yeah none of that makes sense to me, either.

I checked my previous posts from when I hooked up a Watt meter. At the time, the battery was 12.08V with no load. The drain was over 40W with the car woken up (when you approach it with a fob and open a door). With the car closed up and locked and the fob far away, and the car asleep, the drain eventually dropped to only 0.2W on average. I expect there will be a spike when the fuel evaporation system kicks in but I didn't wait that long.

At 0.2W a 60Ah healthy battery just 50% charged should take 75 days to drain completely, if my math is right.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
259 Posts
He has a very fancy system (expensive) incl a generator, 4 huge L16 batteries. But still manages to run it dead at times, and then overcharge it. He is a real luddite and could never explain to me exactly what happens with his system. Luckily, he has lots of money, and just calls on his installer to check it once in a while. And they are happy to take his money.

I have a cheap DIY system, 1000 watts, Chinese MPPT controller and 6000W pure sine wave inverter, and 4 6V 205Ah batteries. Batteries are about 8 years old and still in perfect condition. I have never run my batteries below 50% (I set a high cut-off) or run short of power. My fridge and water heater are propane, so electrical usage is actually very low (LED lights, TV doesn't take much, etc). So basically all the conveniences of home. Only time I need to run the generator is for my log splitter which is about twice a year.
Don't forget when the well pump cycles, that draws about 1200W for about 30 seconds until the Well-X-Trol fills up. My fridge and water heater are propane too.

My system is designed to not let you overcharge. I have an Outback charger and true sine wave inverter, older versions of below models:

http://www.outbackpower.com/products/inverter-chargers/m-series

Portable Honda 2000W (1500W continuous) generator is enough for the occasional punch I need to give it. Don't need a fancy generator. Portable one plugs right into system which is designed for grid access.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Don't forget when the well pump cycles, that draws about 1200W for about 30 seconds until the Well-X-Trol fills up. My fridge and water heater are propane too.
My system is designed to not let you overcharge. I have an Outback charger and true sine wave inverter, older versions of below models:
http://www.outbackpower.com/products/inverter-chargers/m-series
Portable Honda 2000W (1500W continuous) generator is enough for the occasional punch I need to give it. Don't need a fancy generator. Portable one plugs right into system which is designed for grid access.
A Honda pump moves water from the lake up to a cabin reservoir which is high enough to provide our pressure needs. Frequency depends on how many people we have up (toilet flushes). If just the wife and I, good for about a week. But if we have a bunch of friends or the kids up with their friends/family, then we have to pump it up every 2 or 3 days. Not a big deal, takes about 15 min for that. But hard to get others to observe the "if it is yellow let it mellow, if it is brown flush it down" rule.

I use this 60a charge controller with my 24V battery system (4 X 6V in series).
And this pure sine wave inverter, 3000W (1500 continuous).

Everything is inside my dock shed, with the 110V power line running up to the cabin.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
259 Posts
A Honda pump moves water from the lake up to a cabin reservoir which is high enough to provide our pressure needs. Frequency depends on how many people we have up (toilet flushes). If just the wife and I, good for about a week. But if we have a bunch of friends or the kids up with their friends/family, then we have to pump it up every 2 or 3 days. Not a big deal, takes about 15 min for that. But hard to get others to observe the "if it is yellow let it mellow, if it is brown flush it down" rule.

I use this 60a charge controller with my 24V battery system (4 X 6V in series).
And this pure sine wave inverter, 3000W (1500 continuous).

Everything is inside my dock shed, with the 110V power line running up to the cabin.
Do you have a water purifier for the lake water to make it safe to drink?

Yeah, hard for guests to remember the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" rule to avoid unnecessary well pump cycles. I don't even try for the "pee on a tree, s#*t in the pit" rule.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts