Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my car for less than two weeks while self-isolating and yesterday I tried to open the door to get something from the interior and the key bob wouldn't unlock the doors. I replaced the battery in the bob but it still didn't work. When I used the spare key from the bob, the alarm went off but I was able to open the door. However, I could not unlock the other doors nor roll down the window. I called the dealer service department and was told that the battery will drain if the car isn't driven even for as short a period of time as two weeks. Does that sound reasonable? BTW, the battery was replaced around two years ago on my 2015 Crosstrek hybrid.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
I parked my car for less than two weeks while self-isolating and yesterday I tried to open the door to get something from the interior and the key bob wouldn't unlock the doors. I replaced the battery in the bob but it still didn't work. When I used the spare key from the bob, the alarm went off but I was able to open the door. However, I could not unlock the other doors nor roll down the window. I called the dealer service department and was told that the battery will drain if the car isn't driven even for as short a period of time as two weeks. Does that sound reasonable? BTW, the battery was replaced around two years ago on my 2015 Crosstrek hybrid.
That doesn't seem right. I've checked the drain on ours and it's negligible. Or maybe the prior gen is different. Do you have a battery charger?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it didn't seem right to me either. The good news is that I have a battery charger in my car, the bad news is that when I pulled my car off the street, I parked it so tight against the block fence they I can only fit my arm through the driver's side when I open it with the key bob key. Tomorrow, we will try to have my granddaughter climb through the narrow opening of the door and open the passenger door. Fingers crossed. Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to agree but I wonder if there is more parasitic drain on the battery in a hybrid?
I wonder that too because when I search for posts with battery issues, one of the first questions is if the car is a hybrid.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
237 Posts
Two weeks seems very fast. I have had cars sit for over a month and they still started right up. Does this car do a lot of short trips? Short trips never fully charge the battery. If your battery is chronically in only a partially charged state, that will shorten its life. That may explain why you only got 3 years out of the first battery. And while stock batteries generally have a lifespan of about 5 years, defective ones do slip in.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I've done so experiments with a Watt meter on our '18. Here's one of the threads: Applies to All Model Years - How to fully charge the battery?

When "woken up" (e.g. opening the car to get something out of the trunk) the drain is 40W, and the fuel evaporation system runs for a while, five hours after the engine has been turned off (maybe more times if the car isn't started for days). However, when it's left alone and there's nothing on in the car, it's only 0.2W. Based my calculations (please check my math, LOL) even if the battery is only 50% charged, it should be able to handle 0.2W for 75 days before being completely drained.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two weeks seems very fast. I have had cars sit for over a month and they still started right up. Does this car do a lot of short trips? Short trips never fully charge the battery. If your battery is chronically in only a partially charged state, that will shorten its life. That may explain why you only got 3 years out of the first battery. And while stock batteries generally have a lifespan of about 5 years, defective ones do slip in.
Right before I parked it, I had just driven over an hour's drive so the battery should have had plenty of time to charge. I’m wondering now if I should just leave it as it is since I don’t plan to drive it anywhere until the stay-at-home order is lifted. In fact I really can’t drive it because I reduced my insurance coverage to storage only. Can the battery get deader or are there any more negative effects of letting it just sit there for several more weeks?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Right before I parked it, I had just driven over an hour's drive so the battery should have had plenty of time to charge. I’m wondering now if I should just leave it as it is since I don’t plan to drive it anywhere until the stay-at-home order is lifted. In fact I really can’t drive it because I reduced my insurance coverage to storage only. Can the battery get deader or are there any more negative effects of letting it just sit there for several more weeks?
Yes, a battery can get deader than dead, LOL. If it's left at a very low state of charge for a while it can get to the point that you can no longer charge it, even if it was a new battery in good condition. They need to be stored at a high rate of charge.

There are other things to think about as well. Fuel can go off if you're not using a car and it hasn't had a fill up of fresh gas in while. I just added fuel stabilizer to all of ours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, a battery can get deader than dead, LOL. If it's left at a very low state of charge for a while it can get to the point that you can no longer charge it, even if it was a new battery in good condition. They need to be stored at a high rate of charge.

There are other things to think about as well. Fuel can go off if you're not using a car and it hasn't had a fill up of fresh gas in while. I just added fuel stabilizer to all of ours.
How about if I recharge the battery then disconnect it? Would that be a good solution?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
How about if I recharge the battery then disconnect it? Would that be a good solution?
Yep, then if you needed it in an emergency you could just reconnect it! However, you should test it after a few days and see if the battery is holding a charge. That may also help troubleshoot what's going on with your car - whether there is something causing the drain or there's a problem with the battery.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited (White Pearl/Black Leather)
8 Posts
We were down in FL in our motorhome and our 2019 Crosstrek Limited was n the garage the whole time we were gone. We left PA on Feb 29 and got back to PA on Mar 26. Crosstrek started right up first time no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, then if you needed it in an emergency you could just reconnect it! However, you should test it after a few days and see if the battery is holding a charge. That may also help troubleshoot what's going on with your car - whether there is something causing the drain or there's a problem with the battery.
Thanks. I appreciate all the good advice.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
237 Posts
I have an older car that I used to not drive during the winter months. I would trickle charge the battery, then disconnect it for the winter - usually 3 months. I would fill the fuel tank too. Never a problem with fuel going bad. Good idea to also slightly over inflate the tires (around 40PSI) so you don't get flat spots.

AstroKats, reading through some of your battery tales where you were able to start the car with a battery voltage of 11.79V, was this with the AGM battery? Somehow I don't think this would fly with a standard lead-acid battery. 11.79V is about 75% discharged.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
884 Posts
Another 2015 Hybrid that won't start:

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
AstroKats, reading through some of your battery tales where you were able to start the car with a battery voltage of 11.79V, was this with the AGM battery? Somehow I don't think this would fly with a standard lead-acid battery. 11.79V is about 75% discharged.
It was probably with a load already on the battery, not the open circuit voltage. I'll take a look tomorrow...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I left my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek in my condominium garage for three months without starting it until several days ago and it started right away. Did the same thing last winter for an equal amount of time. I initially thought that I might have an issue with my car battery turning over but no issues whatsoever. Sounds like a lame excuse to me from the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my car parked longer with no issues like that, and i have a remote car starter installed. It happened to a friend of mine on her Subaru, and then she realized someone had left the door open and rummaged through the car. If you park close to your house you maybe you have accidently unlocked the car and someone when rummaging.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I have had my car parked longer with no issues like that, and i have a remote car starter installed. It happened to a friend of mine on her Subaru, and then she realized someone had left the door open and rummaged through the car. If you park close to your house you maybe you have accidently unlocked the car and someone when rummaging.
Same thing happened to mom-in-law. They lost some stuff out of the glove box, etc. If you have a keyless ignition, keep the fob far away from the parked car or get a Faraday box for it.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts