Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having a rattle towards the front of my dashboard and between the windshield area. I've tried pushing on areas to see if I could find anything loose. It only rattles around 15-30 mph. I took it to the dealer since it's under warranty and they said they placed a foam strip to deaden the rattle and said it was resolved. It seemed good for about a day and now the rattle is back and still as noticable as before. Is anyone else having this issue or has figured out the resolution? I am going to take it back to let them know it isn't fixed. I have 4400 miles on it but I've had the rattle for about a month or more now. Thanks!

***Update!
I've taken my Crosstrek in twice now. First time they said they fixed it by placing some foam towards the firewall. This didn't fix it, it actually seemed like my rattle got worse and more persist. I just picked it up from the dealer today and they said they found the issue... They placed foam tape on the plastic under the storage mat below the a/c panel and also removed the shifter assembly and added foam tape, they also removed the Eye Sight housing and yep, added more foam tape there. I leave the dealer and it's still rattling just like before. The foam taped areas aren't even where I said I felt the rattle coming from. I made the area of concern very clear for where I felt like it is coming from. I have 5700 miles on it, I think I would have an idea of where the area of concern is, not a service guy telling me he has pretty good ears and couldn't hear anything that was out of the ordinary. I took it home and added some foam between my pilar and speaker on the dash on the passenger side, it seems to have helped a little, but I only took it around the neighborhood. Is there any video of how to do a better job than just cramming some foam in-between gaps? I also remove the front cowls below the windshield the other day to see if that was the issue, but it wasn't. I'm starting to become frustrated with the situation. I need my car and it's not the easiest to get scheduled and have to be without it for the day, especially if my issue isn't getting resolved.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,451 Posts
I've been having a rattle towards the front of my dashboard and between the windshield area. I've tried pushing on areas to see if I could find anything loose. It only rattles around 15-30 mph. I took it to the dealer since it's under warranty and they said they placed a foam strip to deaden the rattle and said it was resolved. It seemed good for about a day and now the rattle is back and still as noticable as before. Is anyone else having this issue or has figured out the resolution? I am going to take it back to let them know it isn't fixed. I have 4400 miles on it but I've had the rattle for about a month or more now. Thanks!
Have you tried touching the small display on the dashboard? Sometimes the screen may flex and cause a rattling sound. Sometimes the plastic housing in the multifunction display may come in contact with other plastic parts on the dashboard causing it to rattle. Try touching around in that area when you hear the sound and apply pressure to see if it stops.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried touching the small display on the dashboard? Sometimes the screen may flex and cause a rattling sound. Sometimes the plastic housing in the multifunction display may come in contact with other plastic parts on the dashboard causing it to rattle. Try touching around in that area when you hear the sound and apply pressure to see if it stops.
I'll give that a try, I have patted down everywhere but the multifunction screen. It does seem to do it more when it is cold. It was 34 this morning and rattled like crazy, but barley made a noise when it got up to the 50's. I'm waiting for a call back from the dealership still. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll give that a try, I have patted down everywhere but the multifunction screen. It does seem to do it more when it is cold. It was 34 this morning and rattled like crazy, but barley made a noise when it got up to the 50's. I'm waiting for a call back from the dealership still. Thanks for the suggestion!
hate to come off as an *** but considering it’s a 2021 and made in Japan, this thing should have no rattling noises of any kind. (Unless it is weather related than what can you do, things shrink and expand) I had A lot of rattling issues with my Ford Focus but if I even started hearing any funny noises with my crosstrek, me and my new Subie are going to the dealership, no questions asked.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hate to come off as an *** but considering it’s a 2021 and made in Japan, this thing should have no rattling noises of any kind. (Unless it is weather related than what can you do, things shrink and expand) I had A lot of rattling issues with my Ford Focus but if I even started hearing any funny noises with my crosstrek, me and my new Subie are going to the dealership, no questions asked.
I have an appointment to get it checked out again. I don't think a brand new car should be making as much noise as it is. I was disappointed when I started hearing it. Dash rattles were something I expected of my old Jeeps lol, not a new car with less than 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 Limited has the occasional rattle. Mine is from the eyesight camera cowling... reaching up and gently pushing it (on the passenger side camera at the top of windshield) makes it stop. Took awhile to figure out where it was coming from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Revisiting this old thread but wondering if you ever figured out the source of the rattle. My car is a '21 Sport and I have a similar rattling sound that seems like it comes from somewhere behind the dash when driving below 30mph over slightly more rough pavement. Similar to the OP, the rattle showed up not long after I first got the car.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
10 Posts
'21 Sport and this has been driving me CRAZY!! There were two rattles. The first was simply the A pillar cover on the drivers side. A tiny bit of foam underneath near the tweeter and poof solved! The second popped up later and is more like what I see on this thread, and it seems to originate from the passenger side but inside the dash. The eyesight, A pillar, glovebox, all secure and good. It has gotten worse over the past few weeks. I did just see the TSB referenced earlier! I will check it out. I had that piece off over the summer to fix the cowling weather stripping coming loose that seems to be a plague we all have faced at some point (just pulled the stripping loose and reapplied with the slack under the referenced cover).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a rattle from my "A" Pilar trim and there is a zip tie used as a tether if the airbag goes off and it was vibrating against the trim piece. I added some foam tape to the inside of the trim piece and my rattle is gone.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
10 Posts
'21 Sport and this has been driving me CRAZY!! There were two rattles. The first was simply the A pillar cover on the drivers side. A tiny bit of foam underneath near the tweeter and poof solved! The second popped up later and is more like what I see on this thread, and it seems to originate from the passenger side but inside the dash. The eyesight, A pillar, glovebox, all secure and good. It has gotten worse over the past few weeks. I did just see the TSB referenced earlier! I will check it out. I had that piece off over the summer to fix the cowling weather stripping coming loose that seems to be a plague we all have faced at some point (just pulled the stripping loose and reapplied with the slack under the referenced cover).
Update: I am a DA! Glad I stopped by here to look. The trim piece mentioned in the TSB.. well, apparently when I took it off to fix the weather stripping, I didn't get it clipped back into the panel keeper tight... A quick "snap" and a 950 mile trip later, she was rattle free! seems I fixed one problem and created another...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts