Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got in some new wheels from Vivid Racing. VR Forged D14s. I was aiming for something light weight with the occasional trail rides. But mostly will be daily driving

Forged wheels, so they are lighter and stronger than the typical wheel on the market.
16x7in wheels
Bore 56.1 (No hub centric ring needed)
5x100 bolt pattern
+30 offset
18.3lbs

Paired these with some Falken Wildpeak AT Trails in 215/70R16 tires (about .4% increase in diameter), which are 26.9lb, coming to a total weight just a bit over 45lbs, which is a good ~6lbs lighter per wheel from the stock limited wheels/tires that came with the car. And I must say, the difference is noticeable, especially if I'm coasting along, then pressing on the accelerator, the car feels more responsive.

So far I haven't noticed a difference in gas mileage other than a slight drop which is pretty normal when getting new tires anyways.

I must say I'm really liking them so far. And it's nice to finally find a wheel that isn't nearly as common as what other Crosstrek drivers are running. I like being a little different.

Since they are so new, the company asked me to send them a clip of me unboxing them.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
365 Posts
Nice to see a higher offset option available. Price isn't bad per wheel either if they are truly forged wheels.
Oh! I didn't notice the 30mm offset (versus 15mm on most others). That little difference might have helped me with the tire rub I get on turns.

·
Registered
2021 PYP Sport
155 Posts
Interesting that their website lists the weight at 11.2 kg (24.7 lbs) but you actually weighed them at 18.3.

Reactions: Sarang

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh! I didn't notice the 30mm offset (versus 15mm on most others). That little difference might have helped me with the tire rub I get on turns.
Yeah, absolutely zero rub. After the shop installed the wheels, they too were concerned about that, but we checked even before pulling it out of the garage and there's absolutely no rub at any point.

Interesting that their website lists the weight at 11.2 kg (24.7 lbs) but you actually weighed them at 18.3.
Yeah, don't know what's up with that. Probably needs to be updated. I think they may have put in weights for larger wheels, like the 17's or something.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I totally get and understand personal preference but I'm curious...the wheels you just bought are nice, but did they have those in 17's? Just wondering why you decided to go with 16's...considering Falken makes the exact tires you bought in the OEM of 17.
Tire Photograph Wheel Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I totally get and understand personal preference but I'm curious...the wheels you just bought are nice, but did they have those in 17's? Just wondering why you decided to go with 16's...considering Falken makes the exact tires you bought in the OEM of 17.
Lighter weight and more sidewall.

But I'm also coming from 18's, so getting more sidewall means downsizing anyways. Personally, I rather go down to 16 instead of all the way to 15s.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting that you notice more response and no diff in mpg.
My setup is Toyo OC AT3 215/75/15 with black rhino boxer wheels. Shaved a few pounds off each corner from stock and I noticed that response seemed worse and my MPG went from 28.5 to 25 despite being a feather on the gas pedal

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the diameter is slightly larger, are you calculating the difference in miles before figuring out your MPG? I have a Wrangler that I offroad and the speedo is off something like 12% with my much larger offroad tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Interesting that you notice more response and no diff in mpg.
My setup is Toyo OC AT3 215/75/15 with black rhino boxer wheels. Shaved a few pounds off each corner from stock and I noticed that response seemed worse and my MPG went from 28.5 to 25 despite being a feather on the gas pedal
There's a whole lot to factor in with MPG. Most of my driving is on the freeway, and aerodynamic is going to be playing a large part of my MPG. Over the life of my vehicle, I average about 31MPG. I'm currently sitting at 30.8 reading on the dash (but this tank had a bad start cause I was stuck in a construction zone that was barely moving, moving just enough that it wasn't practical to shut down the engine), and yes, I did have Subaru dealership adjust the computer mpg average so it's a lot more accurate. It's usually only off by +/- .5mpg from what I record.

I've recorded every single fill-up in an app called "My Cars", so I have all the data from when I first bought my car. Lifetime average, best and worst mileage, costs, etc. It's a habit I picked up from when I drove a VW TDI. I always kept records of my fuel in case I got a bad batch of fuel. The High Pressure fuel pumps were known to be pretty sensative.

Right now, the biggest noticeable difference is when there is a shift in momentum. Like when I'm coasting along (vehicle slowing down on it's own) and then I press the gas to speed back up. It simply "Feels" better. Though I can't really give any hard evidence to this.

If the diameter is slightly larger, are you calculating the difference in miles before figuring out your MPG? I have a Wrangler that I offroad and the speedo is off something like 12% with my much larger offroad tires.
There's really not a whole lot of differences. The new tires are 0.4% taller, which is barely noticeable. I didn't want to go much bigger than the old size. My commute is almost 30 miles exactly according to GPS maps, and I've checked using the trip distance on my car and it reports having traveled 30 miles. It might be off by a small factor, but I'm confident it's close enough for a relatively decent estimate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts