Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,441 Posts
My opinion on why CVTs are underrated I think most will agree?
No, I do not think that most will agree. We're very happy with the CVT and I like using the paddles up in the mountains.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine works great and even did when it was half full of water.
I have no complaints! 😛

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
69 Posts
If people maintain their transmission and actually don’t beat the crap out of it, it’ll be okay. The bad rep CVTs have is due to Nissan when they first introduced it and it was a complete failure due to all the problems. Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and Hyundai/Kia design their CVTs in house. So does Nissan but they’ve always had issues...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
From wheels.ca ;
"Nissan subsidiary Jatco supplies many of the world’s automakers with CVT transmissions. Nissan vehicles have been featuring CVTs for 15 years, but they’ve demonstrated less than stellar reliability. Common complaints include violent shaking and stuttering, difficulty accelerating, overheating and suddenly shutting down. Early examples saw the CVTs snap their metallic belts at relatively low mileage. "

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
374 Posts
Subaru had a CVT in the Justy in the late '80's. My '90 Justy had one...then called the ECVT. That was THIRTY years ago. I believe it was the first vehicle in the world sold with a CVT. I loved it. Only change I see now is no more electromagnetic clutch and now has phony shift points rather than torque sweet-spot constant rpm. Otherwise much the same twin-cone steel belt design.

·
Registered
2018 Premium 6MT
43 Posts
Eh, I've been anti-automatic transmission forever already, they just aren't any fun (for me) to drive. With the CVT's seeming to fail around 150k miles I'm not convinced they are worth it just yet, despite the improved fuel economy.

Hoping I can stay with manual transmissions until electric cars are more viable.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
65 Posts
Eh, I've been anti-automatic transmission forever already, they just aren't any fun (for me) to drive. With the CVT's seeming to fail around 150k miles I'm not convinced they are worth it just yet, despite the improved fuel economy.

Hoping I can stay with manual transmissions until electric cars are more viable.
Well unfortunately fuel economy is what makes them widespread. The "fun" aspect doesn't affect a brand's global sales, only a small % of specific models. The bloody requirement for corporate average fuel economy standarts forces their implementation especially on the most popular cars. The Sti can retain the manual, too few units sold as compared to mainstream models. Mind you, putting the fun factor aside, a CVT is the mathematically efficient way to use an ICE with its uneven torque curve. (while also being arguably more convenient for high traffic stop-and-go driving) Sigh.

The next technological suppository is an Euro-sized turbo blender. Again, better fuel economy at the expense of complexity and potential long-term reliability issues. 😤

·
Registered
69 Posts

I would like a source saying they fail around 150k. Also, in Canada, Subaru recommends to change the fluid at 100,000km (which is about 60,000 miles.) I’ve heard from MrSubaru on YouTube that certain dealers in the states claim the CVT fluid is “life time fluid.” If I am the customer and a service advisor told me that my CVT fluid is “life time fluid,” I’d walk out of the dealership and never go back because there’s no such thing as “life time fluid.” When the customer hears,“life time fluid” some actually believe that and when they have transmission issues or it fails, they’ll blame the car company...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would like a source saying they fail around 150k. Also, in Canada, Subaru recommends to change the fluid at 100,000km (which is about 60,000 miles.) I’ve heard from MrSubaru on YouTube that certain dealers in the states claim the CVT fluid is “life time fluid.” If I am the customer and a service advisor told me that my CVT fluid is “life time fluid,” I’d walk out of the dealership and never go back because there’s no such thing as “life time fluid.” When the customer hears,“life time fluid” some actually believe that and when they have transmission issues or it fails, they’ll blame the car company...
i'm having my 100k-mile service performed as I write this. my transmission fluid will be changed. there is a lot of misinformation and whining regarding the CVT. imo, if you are driving a car past 150k miles anything is liable to fail and that goes for any car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i'm having my 100k-mile service performed as I write this. my transmission fluid will be changed. there is a lot of misinformation and whining regarding the CVT. imo, if you are driving a car past 150k miles anything is liable to fail and that goes for any car.
If you follow the service intervals, you should be okay. But like you said, anything can fail no matter what car it is.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It’s not that they claim the fluid is “lifetime”. They essentially claim the transmission is “lifetime sealed”. Honda does this on the Honda Fit. What they are conveying is that the fluid doesn’t need to be changed, when the transmission quits, you buy another transmission. No joke. It’s unbelievable, but a lot of manufacturers do this now. The average American gets a new car every five years. $20 says the nomenclature in other countries says otherwise, about the exact same transmission, due to country laws.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe it was the first vehicle in the world sold with a CVT.
The first mass-production car to use a CVT was the 1958 DAF 600 small sedan built in the Netherlands. This Variomatic transmission was used in several vehicles built by DAF and Volvo until the 1980s.

In 1879, Milton Reeves invented a CVT (then called a variable-speed transmission) for use in saw milling. In 1879 Reeves began fitting this transmission to his cars, and the Reeves CVT was also used by several other manufacturers.

Source: Wiki.

·
Registered
2018 Premium 6MT
43 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts