Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

CVT With Launch Gear

Applies to All Model Years 
11K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  adc 
#1 ·
Toyota has recently just created a CVT with a launch gear (or I just heard about it). Essentially the 1st gear is automatic then the rest is a CVT. It has apparently increased both performance and fuel efficiency when compared to a traditional CVT. Personally I would love to see this in the Crosstrek, even more so than the 2.5 liter they area adding in 2021. I would strongly consider trading my current Crosstrek in; especially for one with the "launch gear" CVT and a 2.5 liter engine. I don't ever see Subaru putting in a traditional Automatic in but this seems like a great option that I for Subaru. What do you guys think the chances of this actually happening are?

#2 · (Edited)
I'm sure we'll be seeing more collaboration and sharing of components now that Toyota has increased its stake in Subaru. I've read about that transmission elsewhere and it does seem like the best of both worlds. It still won't please the MT folks, though... 😸

Edit: I meant it DOES seem like the best of both worlds, although we're both very happy with how our Crosstrek launches. The Pedal Commander helps.

#5 ·
I'm sure we'll be seeing more collaboration and sharing of components now that Toyota has increased its stake in Subaru. I've read about transmission elsewhere and it doesn't seem like the best of both worlds. It still won't please the MT folks, though... 😸
I was hoping for a best of both worlds situation. After having manuals for over a decade I miss them but I wanted the Eyesight. As long as they still make manuals the "manualist" should still be happy.

#4 ·
I'm more worried about the use when "off roading" CVT's are notorious for overheating when going up steep hills and thus cutting the power to the Wheels. A fixed first gear would help with that weakness. I agree that the crosstrek accelerates quickly for the first few seconds when you step on the gas. Almost to quickly as it will jerk you forward when you're trying to do a casual start. I think that is because it reaches it's peak power in the power-band early.

#8 ·
I did enough research & test drives before hand to understand what should and should not be expected from a CVT. Very happy with it so far. The new trans is interesting but I think I'll run my 17 Trek until the wheels fall off. Hopefully by then Toyota/Subaru will have worked the bugs out of the direct shift CVT.

#13 ·
Its necessary. If you were in the max acceleration demand the engine would be forced at running at just under redline for quite a length of time. I don't think engines would hold up in this case. If you decided to be significantly under redline you loose HP. I don't see any choice-do you?

In normal use I am not aware of shifts.
Wouldn't that also be true with no fake gears, though, if you stomped on the pedal and kept it there. I don't see why it can't move smoothly between gear ratios without stepping. That being said, I don't notice it much. During normal driving it seems pretty smooth and I like using the manual mode with the paddles, up in the mountains.

#9 ·
That's a 2-year old article. These CVTs are already on the road if you want to watch online reviews for performance and reliability just search youtube for Toyota Corolla CVT.

Spoiler is that they offer improved performance with less rubber-bandy feel and very snappy artificial downshifts used in manumatic/simulated mode (most arguing its the best feeling CVT yet) but on the flip side have had very poor reliability with many customers already having problems after only one or two years. Their manual by contrast has been perfectly reliable and is generally preferred by reviewers, and is unique in that it is more or less an "assisted manual" which helps to keep you from stalling and rev matches between shifts for you making it an easy-mode manual for novices.

(skip to 20 mins if it doesn't to it automatically)

#16 ·
There have been lots of posts about it here and on other car forums. I just found this:

7. Shift Shock Heavy Acceleration
To impart a sportier feel on certain vehicles equipped with a CVT, under heavier acceleration the transmission control module will simulate specific gear ratios and a feeling of shift shock, similar to using the manual shift controls available on a CVT equipped Subaru.

#34 ·
Well there is a solution. I personally would prefer a totally shiftless option. If you want a shift use the paddles. A good compromise would just allow a max rpm like maybe 5700 rpm and let it continuously raise the gear ratio (no shifting) from that point and thar rpm... That would probably make the vehicle a bit quicker as you lose time and HP when it shifts down to like 4900 rpm.

No big deal for the XV but for my XT it would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.