Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '13 new and have tried to maintain it well as I'd like to see 300K out of it. So far I've changed all 4 wheel bearings and both front axles, struts, brakes & ball joints. I changed the "lifetime" fluid in the trans @ 100K because of some of the posts I've read. Always come to a full stop before shifting direction and stayed that way until lock up. Rare use of the paddles & never forced downshifts. Trans light came on @ 115K. $150 for diagnosis basically saying valve body replacement was needed ($2100). Bought a solenoid & did it myself for $65 then paid $237 to have the ecu flashed. Got another 10K out of it but now it rumbles under a hard pull. My wife says it seems to surge too.
My guess is that the bearings are crapping out. I've heard $8K for a new trans. For that price I might park it near a cliff & "forget" to set the brake. Supposedly trans shops can rebuild these things now. Any recommendations? Should I consider doing it now while most of the parts are still good or wait 'till it craps out in the middle of BFE? Planning on taking a trip this summer.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek, 2.5 Liter, Pure Red, Limited
375 Posts
On my 2013, replaced all CV joints, wheel bearings, brakes, short block, valves, and then had a used transmission with less milage put in before trading it in for a 2021 Limited 15k later. The dealership had it sold less than 3 days later with a warranty for the new owners. (With everything I had to have repaired/replaced, I just figure Subaru's are higher maintenance vehicles - at least that's been my experience!)

A lot of this will depend on your finances. Will it make economic sense for you to keep your 2013? Only you and your spouse can answer that question!

If you have a trusted mechanic who can look over your vehicle, perhaps that would help with the decision process?

Hope this helps!

:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
if other crosstreks of the same year and mileage worth less than $8000 in your local market then there is no financial justification to do the tranny. All the other repairs are sunk costs (not relevant). If it don't make no money sense then trade it in for a down payment for a new one with a 5 year warranty on powertrain if you can find one in the new car lot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if other crosstreks of the same year and mileage worth less than $8000 in your local market then there is no financial justification to do the tranny. All the other repairs are sunk costs (not relevant). If it don't make no money sense then trade it in for a down payment for a new one with a 5 year warranty on powertrain if you can find one in the new car lot.
Maybe the best answer. Used car prices are high right now but that cuts both ways. Definitely a cost/ benefit analysis. Not so sure if I'll buy another Sub. unless I can find my old 2000 impreza.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Maybe the best answer. Used car prices are high right now but that cuts both ways. Definitely a cost/ benefit analysis. Not so sure if I'll buy another Sub. unless I can find my old 2000 impreza.
Your dealer laughed when you tried to get relief from SOA when the CVT crapped out? I will not send a penny their way to be used for charm school tuition. Just sayin.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts