Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their spare wheel well customized to fit a full size spare? This seems like a reasonable alternative to mounting a spare on the roof or the back of the car and causing drag/road noise. Thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
when fitting a full sized spare to the trunk, why does it not fit?

is it too tall? to wide? Any pics

If it is too tall, how bout using wood to extend the height and allow the tire to fit? essentially cutting out a spacer for it.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,325 Posts
I thought I had read here that some markets require a full-size spare? Also that the get-you-home must be the same diameter as the regular wheels. So there shouldn't be any modification to the body necessary, you'd just lose some cargo area due to raising the cargo bed.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
83 Posts
I am considering replacing my donut spare with a larger diameter spare when I put tires on. OEM spare is 145/80r17 and I am considering buying 165/80r17. I think it would fit in the spare wheel well.
It would also be closer to the larger tires size than the OEM donut is to the OEM tires, so if anything it should stress the center diff less than the OEM setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried to fit a OEM 18" wheel in my wheel well but the diameter was too wide, I tried letting it down completely (I carry a compressor on-board) and tied a ratchet strap around the tire diameter to reduce it down, no luck it still wouldn't go in. It is also too high if you could get it in but that could be solved with a floor spacer as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
91 Posts

1.5" in difference. For Subaru recommending we run the tires at the same size and the same thread depth, this makes no sense.

Anyone know what the Spare tire size is for a 1st gen?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It does make sense if you remember that the spare isn't meant to driven on for a long period of time. It's just supposed to get you down the road a ways to get the tire fixed.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
72 Posts
I thought I had read here that some markets require a full-size spare? Also that the get-you-home must be the same diameter as the regular wheels. So there shouldn't be any modification to the body necessary, you'd just lose some cargo area due to raising the cargo bed.
As you can see, there is a considerable difference between the diameter of the full-size vs. doughnut tire. I believe the doughnut only has an expected life of 200-300 miles? You will wear out the doughnut before you will wreck your drivetrain.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,325 Posts
As you can see, there is a considerable difference between the diameter of the full-size vs. doughnut tire. I believe the doughnut only has an expected life of 200-300 miles? You will wear out the doughnut before you will wreck your drivetrain.
Having seen the posts here, it's on my to do list while we're sheltering in place to check our spare and compare to the Limited's wheel and tire size. I'm still wondering how they manage it in the markets that require a full size spare.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
72 Posts
Having seen the posts here, it's on my to do list while we're sheltering in place to check our spare and compare to the Limited's wheel and tire size. I'm still wondering how they manage it in the markets that require a full size spare.
Not sure which markets require a full-size spare. That would either reduce cargo space or ground clearance.

Personally I would prefer a well that could hold a full-size spare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts