Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 700 miles into the first road trip of the year my cruise control quit working. I was down in Slab City this morning driving around on bumpy dirt roads.

I restarted my 2016 Crosstrek and saw that the check engine light was on and also the icon of the car fishtailing was on. As I drove I noticed the cruise control on/off indicator was blinking, something it’s never done. And cruise control could not be set.

About an hour later the fishtailing icon was off. So now my check engine light is on. And my cruise on/off indicator is blinking and cruise control doesn’t work. My crosstrek does not have eyesight. The good news is the car is fine otherwise.

I’ll be home in a few days and will get it checked out. Meanwhile I am wondering has anyone else had this issue. Thanks,

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
710 Posts
More than likely it threw a code so have that checked out. I had a similar experience with several idiot lights all at once and it was due to a cylinder misfire resulting from a blown a valve cover gasket at 199k miles on a Forester.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More than likely it threw a code so have that checked out. I had a similar experience with several idiot lights all at once and it was due to a cylinder misfire resulting from a blown a valve cover gasket at 199k miles on a Forester.
Thanks bill! Does that mean it just needs to be reset? I’ve heard the expression “threw a code” but never looked into it

·
Registered
710 Posts
Dont clear the code until you diagnose and fix the problem that caused it. In my case the code indicated a cylinder misfire which led the mechanic to find a blown valve cover gasket which soaked a spark plug in oil, causing the misfire.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Dont clear the code until you diagnose and fix the problem that caused it. In my case the code indicated a cylinder misfire which led the mechanic to find a blown valve cover gasket which soaked a spark plug in oil, causing the misfire.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks. I’m almost due for my 90k service. I’ll probably have it done early when I get home. Second road trip issue. Last time it was my AC and that was a major inconvenience

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,109 Posts
So, when should @erader buy a new Crosstrek? Maybe this weeekend? 😸

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometimes non-essential functions, like cruise control, are disabled when the check engine light is activated. So there's probably nothing wrong with cruise control, but CC is deactivated as a precautionary measure of something else (VDC error) having gone wrong. As others have said you need to scan for any codes that will start helping you chase down the error.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes non-essential functions, like cruise control, are disabled when the check engine light is activated. So there's probably nothing wrong with cruise control, but CC is deactivated as a precautionary measure of something else (VDC error) having gone wrong. As others have said you need to scan for any codes that will start helping you chase down the error.

thanks for that. that makes sense. the weird thing is I pulled off into some sand and drove maybe 20 feet and then parked. when I started my car the check engine light was on and so was the icon with a car fishtailing. the latter went off on it's own after 30-60 of driving on paved road.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a-ha! we found the culprit and I thought I would follow-up. I stopped by my mechanic's shop after having my tires replaced today and he plugged in the thingamajig and asked me if I had replaced the air filter lately. I do replace my air filter about every 10k miles.

he popped the hood and immediately found the problem: the air intake hose to the manifold was not fully connected. everything works fine now. the tire shop raised a couple of issues but i'll save that for another post.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How on earth did it end up like that?You can tell by how clean it is that the hose was hooked up correctly.Has anyone been working on it before it quit working?I just don't see how it can end up like that on it's own.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How on earth did it end up like that?You can tell by how clean it is that the hose was hooked up correctly.Has anyone been working on it before it quit working?I just don't see how it can end up like that on it's own.
the problem occurred 700 miles into a road trip. nothing had been done under the hood since the last oil change (8.7k miles prior) except for checking oil level, checking air filter, and adding wiper fluid.

I think the clamp might have come loose while offroading or or just through vibration. or maybe when the plugs were changed at 60k miles the clamp was not properly tightened if indeed they even loosened it which I don't know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts