Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Someone here posted a pic of an embossed license plate delete that said Crosstrek. I recall it was charcoal grey and thought it looked pretty cool. Can't find it here, though.
I think I just want a blank that doesn't say anything on it. The carbon fiber one looks cool and I asked the company if they could do dry carbon instead of gloss, so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think I just want a blank that doesn't say anything on it. The carbon fiber one looks cool and I asked the company if they could do dry carbon instead of gloss, so we'll see.
Yes and IIRC someone else posted a pic of some grommets installed that looked a little like the rear parking sensors. The dealerships here seem to use the existing holes and clip black frames around the licence plate instead.

·
Registered
460 Posts
yeah, those are the indents I had described that my 2015 Legacy had. I just noticed you have a front mounted camera on your grill. Is that new on the 2021's?

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
335 Posts
yeah, those are the indents I had described that my 2015 Legacy had. I just noticed you have a front mounted camera on your grill. Is that new on the 2021's?
It is only on the Canadian 'Outdoor' spec cars as far as I know... very similar to the US Sport version - but with the addition of the front camera... and a heated steering wheel :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not sure I like the idea of the front camera only because if there's an accident, you need to buy a new camera. A bit better to have it inside behind the windshield I suppose. Other thing is my wife's RAV4 has the outside camera and it's for the auto cruise control system. If it's snowy and the camera gets covered while on the road, you can't use cruise control at all. I know you don't want to use it in the snow anyway, but if it gets dirty enough (mud or whatnot), it just won't work. Really sucks on a long road trip.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,823 Posts
Not sure I like the idea of the front camera only because if there's an accident, you need to buy a new camera. A bit better to have it inside behind the windshield I suppose. Other thing is my wife's RAV4 has the outside camera and it's for the auto cruise control system. If it's snowy and the camera gets covered while on the road, you can't use cruise control at all. I know you don't want to use it in the snow anyway, but if it gets dirty enough (mud or whatnot), it just won't work. Really sucks on a long road trip.
That's exactly what I thought the first time I heard about it. The rear one is hard enough to keep clean. I wish we had access to the Eyesight stream.

The Canucks get a heated steering wheel as a consolation prize for the winter weather they have to deal with... 😸

Reactions: Graphite

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's exactly what I thought the first time I heard about it. The rear one is hard enough to keep clean. I wish we had access to the Eyesight stream.

The Canucks get a heated steering wheel as a consolation prize for the winter weather they have to deal with... 😸
Yeah, only downside to the eyesight system is when the windshield is frosted, but once that clears, you can use cruise control again. I could've had the heated steering wheel (hybrid option), but it was a $2500 package with the moonroof, speakers, and navigation. I can't believe people still push navigation systems when everyone has android or apple devices.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
79 Posts
Yeah, only downside to the eyesight system is when the windshield is frosted, but once that clears, you can use cruise control again. I could've had the heated steering wheel (hybrid option), but it was a $2500 package with the moonroof, speakers, and navigation. I can't believe people still push navigation systems when everyone has android or apple devices.
I switched from a '15 WRX to a '16 WRX specifically because the '16 came with Eyesight.

Some of us like it believe it or not... because with it comes a number of systems that we find useful, in addition to the life-saving potential of ES itself.

The bottom line is - it's insurance, like any other. You know, the kind you and virtually everyone else owns?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts
Check back here in about an hour and @R P will have posted about how great the onboard nav system is, LOL!

I don't get it, either. AA and CarPlay was a must have for us when we went shopping for a new car. We happen to have the nav but haven't used it since the second day we got the car. We bought it on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in 2017 (lots of deals at the time) and the next day drove to OAK's cousins in Riverside for the family gathering. It was a joke and no better than the first nav I had in my XKR about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,929 Posts
Check back here in about an hour and @R P will have posted about how great the onboard nav system is, LOL!

I don't get it, either. AA and CarPlay was a must have for us when we went shopping for a new car. We happen to have the nav but haven't used it since the second day we got the car. We bought it on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in 2017 (lots of deals at the time) and the next day drove to OAK's cousins in Riverside for the family gathering. It was a joke and no better than the first nav I had in my XKR about 20 years ago.
Lol,... you sure have been prompting me lately. But I only occasionally speak up and counter your comments about the nav, as there were some that were not true, and needed correcting.

And since you state AA and CarPlay are a must for a new car (they are for me, too), I guess Tesla is off your shopping list for a future EV. They have a very closed eco system (a bit like Apple), and I'm sure down the road Elon will have more and more subscription based features incl media access. Sort of how computers went. First the hardware was the big expense, and software was free. Not anymore. Initially you could buy the software, but then moved to have to pay every year. But with Elon, they go one step further, and can only buy from him.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,556 Posts
I was with my sister when she bought her '21 Crosstrek, and the salesman actually convinced her that CarPlay was better than the onboard nav, and that she didn't need to upgrade. The only honorable thing that guy did. :cautious:

I know there are a handful of people for whom the Nav genuinely makes sense -- maybe there's still a Windows Phone user out there, or something -- but in the mainstream world I'm guessing most people who want the onboard nav are the idiots who like to play with their phone while they're behind the wheel. Both the Apple and Google map apps are SO much better.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts
It was only 24 minutes. Nuff said... 😸

Reactions: dpc166

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
79 Posts
Maybe the clue to what the overwhelming bulk of car buyer's want is reflected in the fact that ALL Subarus (excepting MTs) come with Eyesight now... it sells, because people want the added security. Those who don't like/want/ crash mitigation are the outliers. Not the ones who buy them. ;)

And it's not just Subaru.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
335 Posts
I liked the Garmin based Sat Nav in the head unit that I installed in my Leggy... but at £70 for a map upgrade... and then £150 for a re flash of the ROM after the unit took to an endless start up loop on another occasion I felt a bit spanked over it! :oops:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I was with my sister when she bought her '21 Crosstrek, and the salesman actually convinced her that CarPlay was better than the onboard nav, and that she didn't need to upgrade. The only honorable thing that guy did. :cautious:

I know there are a handful of people for whom the Nav genuinely makes sense -- maybe there's still a Windows Phone user out there, or something -- but in the mainstream world I'm guessing most people who want the onboard nav are the idiots who like to play with their phone while they're behind the wheel. Both the Apple and Google map apps are SO much better.
And now we have the moderator also throwing out bait,... What, do you get paid for the number of posts on this board...:rolleyes:

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts
And now we have the moderator also throwing out bait,... What, do you get paid for the number of posts on this board...:rolleyes:
You don't? I've been able to retire early because of this forum... [insert emoji of a cat on a beach with a palm tree and a daquiri]

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You don't? I've been able to retire early because of this forum... [insert emoji of a cat on a beach with a palm tree and a daquiri]
I'm just a fish that you guys keep trying to catch... And sometimes it works...:sneaky:

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,556 Posts
VerticalScope only pays me in heartache and pain. :cautious:

And a contrasting opinion is not automatically bait ... well, unless @AstroKats states it. :sneaky:

81 - 100 of 124 Posts