Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
Are you serious!!??
Yep, I used to have a home detail guy come every couple of months who used waterless products. More often if we'd been up to the snow or whatever. We're always in a drought here and there's no easy access to water from our building (I started a thread about this). Then things started shutting down early in 2020. I actually texted him recently but haven't heard back, which is sad. The weather is very mild here, not too hot, not too cold, and no salt on the roads, and we have a subterranean garage so sun damage isn't an issue.

Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
Don't you have car washes?

Prefers non-orange cars
Don't you have car washes?
Of course, and we have grocery stores, shopping malls, etc. :rolleyes:

We've had some serious droughts here and especially in the Los Angeles basin. It would be a semi-desert if they hadn't diverted water from the Colorado River, the Sierras and especially the Owen's Valley. I don't think it's OK to have a lush green lawn or a shiny car when water is so scarce and/or diverted from other regions.

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
Where I live my CT can look like that after one or two trips from home to the grocery store.... after a detailed wash and wax! I've hosed mine off once and a detailed wash once since new 11/5/20.
My last vehicle, which I had for 20 years was detail washed and waxed about twice a year and run through the drive through car wash when I went to the mainland [maybe 3 or 4 times a year].... It is with a new owner now and still looks great and NO rust anywhere above or below.
I'll do the wash/wax on the Crosstrek in the next few weeks, when the weather warms and dries a bit. Dirt roads and rural living and being old have helped me to be nonjudgmental about superficial appearances.

I will say that when I bough mine the dealership only had two rigs with my "bottom line" requirement NO Moonroof. A black Sport and a Silver Limited. Final choice went to the Silver... based on dirt road observation and experience. ;)

Prefers non-orange cars
Where I live my CT can look like that after one or two trips from home to the grocery store.... after a detailed wash and wax! I've hosed mine off once and a detailed wash once since new 11/5/20.
My last vehicle, which I had for 20 years was detail washed and waxed about twice a year and run through the drive through car wash when I went to the mainland [maybe 3 or 4 times a year].... It is with a new owner now and still looks great and NO rust anywhere above or below.
I'll do the wash/wax on the Crosstrek in the next few weeks, when the weather warms and dries a bit. Dirt roads and rural living and being old have helped me to be nonjudgmental about superficial appearances.
Yep, this! We're not concerned about the appearance.

When I moved from LA to Connecticut for a brief stint, the first winter made me realize that my Jag XKR wasn't the ideal vehicle in deep snow. I got a good price for it because it was a Southern California car, no salt.

Registered
Wow! I keep mine as clean as I can. Took it out the other day and ended up getting some pollen and some bird strikes. I used Griot's speed shine and basically did a waterless wash with it and now she looks freshly washed. I hadn't done a full wash since early March.

Still looks this clean!

Prefers non-orange cars
We're not that OCD, LOL!

What are you going to do about the holes in the front bumper? 馃樃

Registered
We're not that OCD, LOL!

What are you going to do about the holes in the front bumper? 馃樃
LOL I kinda forgot about them until you ripped open that scab. I think at some point I'll get over to Home Depot and find some screw caps and get some color-matched paint to make them disappear. I'm not big on front plates, but something subtle might be good. I saw some people with subtle solutions plates (maybe 2-3" tall and standard width). It doesn't really have to say anything on it, but maybe a carbon fiber plate or something. I prefer a clean look, if anyone has ideas.

Prefers non-orange cars
LOL I kinda forgot about them until you ripped open that scab.
Yikes, sorry! Like when someone asks me about my ex!

I prefer the smooth look but we're required to have front plates here. I got a ticket for it once. If I lived somewhere that did not require a front plate I'd have a body shop fill it and paint it.

Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
LOL I kinda forgot about them until you ripped open that scab. I think at some point I'll get over to Home Depot and find some screw caps and get some color-matched paint to make them disappear. I'm not big on front plates, but something subtle might be good. I saw some people with subtle solutions plates (maybe 2-3" tall and standard width). It doesn't really have to say anything on it, but maybe a carbon fiber plate or something. I prefer a clean look, if anyone has ideas.
On my last few Subys I've used a certain poppit from Autozone to fill those holes. They look appropriate to me. YMMV.

Registered
Yikes, sorry! Like when someone asks me about my ex!

I prefer the smooth look but we're required to have front plates here. I got a ticket for it once. If I lived somewhere that did not require a front plate I'd have a body shop fill it and paint it.
Haha it's all good. It likely costs more than it's worth to have the holes filled and painted to match. I did find a site that sells carbon fiber front plate deletes (about $37). Hoping I could get a dry carbon one so it's not shiny (prefer the matte finish). Worst case, I'll get that.

Prefers non-orange cars
Haha it's all good. It likely costs more than it's worth to have the holes filled and painted to match.
About the same as a session with my psychologist, LOL!

Prefers non-orange cars
At least some still follow the Subaru parking buddies rule even if they don't wave anymore(y)(y)
I'd like to think it was deliberate as the lot was empty. I felt bad driving away. She probably didn't have time to get his VIN number...

Reactions: dpc166

Registered
Yeah. It surprises me your dealerships happily drill 2 extra holes in a car worth tens of thousands of dollars over a small metal plate worth probably less than $100. Ideally the car manufacturers should probably stop putting holes in the front bumpers but most countries or jurisdictions require licence plates both front and back.

Registered
Yeah. It surprises me your dealerships happily drill 2 extra holes in a car worth tens of thousands of dollars over a small metal plate worth probably less than $100. Ideally the car manufacturers should probably stop putting holes in the front bumpers but most countries or jurisdictions require licence plates both front and back.
I remember previous cars of mine had molded dimples in the bumper where you would drill. My last car (Legacy) I told the dealer not to put their dealer stickers, plates, etc. on the car, so they didn't. Front bumper was perfect with no holes! This one, I did the same thing (different dealer) and the guy even wrote it down in the paperwork, but alas they forgot and drilled the holes anyway to mount their dealer plate. You don't own me so I am certainly not advertising for you. Besides, if you wanted to do it anyway, put on a front plate bracket that uses the factory holes so I can get away with just the factory holes.

Prefers non-orange cars
I remember previous cars of mine had molded dimples in the bumper where you would drill. My last car (Legacy) I told the dealer not to put their dealer stickers, plates, etc. on the car, so they didn't. Front bumper was perfect with no holes! This one, I did the same thing (different dealer) and the guy even wrote it down in the paperwork, but alas they forgot and drilled the holes anyway to mount their dealer plate. You don't own me so I am certainly not advertising for you. Besides, if you wanted to do it anyway, put on a front plate bracket that uses the factory holes so I can get away with just the factory holes.
Someone here posted a pic of an embossed license plate delete that said Crosstrek. I recall it was charcoal grey and thought it looked pretty cool. Can't find it here, though.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts