Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
My choice came down to the height of the open lift gate. I have a loft in my garage and my garage door is lower than most. The CX-5 and Forester open lift gates hit the garage open garage door. But the Crosstrek was like Goldilocks, just right in more ways than one.
You can limit the open height of the hatch on the forester (and I'm sure the outback too).

Registered
I've always been drawn to the Crosstrek, its uber cool silhouette grabs my eye every time, especially when it's one of their off beat colors. So I finally got my own 2019 Crosstrek in Cool Gray Khaki, which oddly enough is neither gray or khaki....It's more of a baby blue but color appears different depending on sunshine and clouds and is beautiful. I call her Blu....Blu drives like a dream, is amazingly comfortable, offers plenty of space and snow makes her laugh with delight.... I've never really cared for the Forrester's looks, but my brother in law just bought one and loves it, personal preference I guess. I'm currently driving a 2020 Forrester as loaner while my Crosstrek is getting recall work done, and I am not impressed. It's not as agile or comfortable as Crosstrek, the ride seems stiffer, and I find it more difficult to view my surroundings when driving. Anyway if you want to be one of the "cool kids" get the Crosstrek otherwise you'll be like my brother in law who is um, shall we say not so cool? (Sorry sis, but you gotta admit...lol)
View attachment 299878
When I picked up the forester the tires had over 46 psi of air in all the tires. Rode like a buckboard.they do that to reduce flat spots on the tires when shipping from Japan.

My wife loves her Crosstrek, been married 45 years, she actually gets it washed without me telling her to, that's how I know. 馃槈

Funny story, when we got home with the Crosstrek we put her stuff in. That's when we realized she couldn't reach the open hatch! (4'11"). We still laugh about it.

Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
Discussion Starter #23
You can limit the open height of the hatch on the forester (and I'm sure the outback too).
In 1917 only with the top of the line Forester with the power hatch. The Outback was way too big for my needs and I wasn't even considering it.

Registered
I agree with most comments here.

Crosstrek is zippier, more maneuverable, easier to drive and park. To me it鈥檚 a perfect size.

Forester (Touring) has much more comfortable seats. The seat base is longer and both the front and back pivot up and down. The seat back has adjustable lumbar. The ride is slightly stiffer too. Oh yeah, it currently has a more powerful engine if you need that.

My Crosstrek would be perfect if it was a Touring. That would make up for its only downside 鈥 the short seat base and no adjustable lumbar. The Subaru brown interior would be nice too.

Registered
Yeah, that's one of those articles that doesn't really say much of anything, but is just thrown together to generate page views.

With apologies to my Forester-owning friends, my feeling is that you should get a Forester if your life is limited to going to Costco and to middle-school soccer games ... but if you deserve a little more joy in life, you should get a Crosstrek. :p
If you want a little more joy in your life get a ForesterXT (i.e. with a turbo). Unfortunately you'll have to go "used" because they don't make them anymore.

Registered
Personally i love the crosstrek looks that I find similar to volvo. The forester look is more traditional as what subaru call it a farmer design look. Mechanical wise, if they put 2l turbo on crosstrek that will be the best, but that may also warrant stiffer suspension and may change the overall impression. Same with the existing intake on crosstrek is optimized to generate ample torque on low rpm, and can feel beyond 4500 rpm is kind of out of breath. When you change to custom intake like AEM, the engine at high rpm feels powerful and sounds nice, but the low rpm acceleration and fuel consumption suffer.

So really all about your priority

Registered
I have both and I like both. CT seems a little firmer in suspension while Forester has more get-ups and more compliant ride. The windshields seem a week point for Forester. On my third one since took delivery of a 2020 sport.

Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
The windshields seem a week point for Forester. On my third one since took delivery of a 2020 sport.
I've had a similar windshield experience with my 2018 Forester. Since I don't have Eyesight I went with non-acoustic aftermarket glass after three insurance claims with two Subaru windshields within the first 24,000 miles.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to file a complaint with the NHTSA as many of us with windshield issues have done. Here's the complaint form:

Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
I've had a similar windshield experience with my 2018 Forester. Since I don't have Eyesight I went with non-acoustic aftermarket glass after three insurance claims with two Subaru windshields within the first 24,000 miles.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to file a complaint with the NHTSA as many of us with windshield issues have done. Here's the complaint form:
Wow, I had no idea it was that bad! I can't remember the last time I had to replace a windshield. Over ten years ago...

Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
Seems to be more of a problem with 2017+ Foresters than Crosstreks. It could be because of different glass manufacturers - AGC makes Forester windshields and Central Glass makes Crosstrek windshields.

My 2018 Forester has had more windshield replacements in 24,000 miles of driving than my 2010 Forester had in 222,000 miles of driving. Same roads, same driver. Something changed and my guess it is the changeover to acoustic glass which is lighter weight.

Registered
The windshield on my 2019 CT had to be replaced due to a rock chip. Exactly one year later a big rock thrown up by a jacked up pickup chipped the window. Fortunately it was repairable, though it鈥檚 slightly visible.

Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
Discussion Starter #35
21 - 35 of 35 Posts