Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,175 Posts
Interesting that they didn't mention ride, handling, etc. I find the Crosstrek zippier and more maneuverable getting around town than the Foresters I've driven.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,210 Posts
Interesting that they didn't mention ride, handling, etc. I find the Crosstrek zippier and more maneuverable getting around town than the Foresters I've driven.
Did you drive the new 2019+ Forester which is on the new SGP? I had one as a loaner when I had my Crosstrek in for the recalls, and it sure felt a lot like my Crosstrek in pretty well all respects. It does have a lot more room, though, at least in the back. But I still think the Crosstrek is a better looking car...

I drove the old one before, too, and agree, the Crosstrek handled better and was more nimble.

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,499 Posts
Yeah, that's one of those articles that doesn't really say much of anything, but is just thrown together to generate page views.

With apologies to my Forester-owning friends, my feeling is that you should get a Forester if your life is limited to going to Costco and to middle-school soccer games ... but if you deserve a little more joy in life, you should get a Crosstrek. :p

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
LOL, OAK thought the Forester was too big anyways so that got nixed.

@R P, good point, no I haven't driven a '19+ Forester.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The MY16 I own is long enough to fit my 172cm skis, and narrow enough to fit in my garage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That was a non-article by Scott.... Probably had an article due for publication and wasn't ready for print....

I swear, all he did was have two brochures in front of him and regurgitated the information...

C.

- Need to stop here before.... :mad: I hate lazy writers.

...that's one of those articles that doesn't really say much of anything, but is just thrown together to generate page views....

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
171 Posts
If you need more space, I just couldn't see moving up to the Forester but not the Outback. The Forester just isn't enough more than the Crosstrek for the money IMO.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
With apologies to my Forester-owning friends, my feeling is that you should get a Forester if your life is limited to going to Costco and to middle-school soccer games ... but if you deserve a little more joy in life, you should get a Crosstrek. :p
I guess with the same apology to my crosstrek friends I'll take my forester XT. ;)

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
893 Posts
Like adc we have one of each. My wife likes the 2019 Xtrek better; I like the 2018 Forester better.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,210 Posts
I like the extra space the Crosstrek provides me in my garage. Used to park a truck on that side, and sure is nice to have a little more room now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, that's one of those articles that doesn't really say much of anything, but is just thrown together to generate page views.

Nicely stated, Crosstrek all the way!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We compare the Subaru Crosstrek and Subaru Forester SUVs to determine which is right for you.

I've always been drawn to the Crosstrek, its uber cool silhouette grabs my eye every time, especially when it's one of their off beat colors. So I finally got my own 2019 Crosstrek in Cool Gray Khaki, which oddly enough is neither gray or khaki....It's more of a baby blue but color appears different depending on sunshine and clouds and is beautiful. I call her Blu....Blu drives like a dream, is amazingly comfortable, offers plenty of space and snow makes her laugh with delight.... I've never really cared for the Forrester's looks, but my brother in law just bought one and loves it, personal preference I guess. I'm currently driving a 2020 Forrester as loaner while my Crosstrek is getting recall work done, and I am not impressed. It's not as agile or comfortable as Crosstrek, the ride seems stiffer, and I find it more difficult to view my surroundings when driving. Anyway if you want to be one of the "cool kids" get the Crosstrek otherwise you'll be like my brother in law who is um, shall we say not so cool? (Sorry sis, but you gotta admit...lol)
Blu 1.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
259 Posts
Like most else, it all comes down to personal preference. If you like bigger, go with the Forester or Outback. If you like smaller, go with the Crosstrek.

I came off a 2009 Outback which was the last year the Outback was a high ground clearance wagon before it became another gargantuan SUV. At the time, I bought it to replace my 1997 Outback as I knew the 2010 would be larger.

For me as a kayaker, a low roof is my friend. My 2009 Outback had a 61.6in. height while the 2020 Outback has a 66.4in. height. The 2020 Crosstrek falls in the middle at 63.6in. The 2020 Forester at 68.1in. was immediately out of the question. IMHO, the only valid reason to build high is to get ground clearance. Considering all the 2020 Subarus mentioned have 8.7in. ground clearance, there is no reason to buy the taller one.

Total cargo space in my 2009 Outback was 65 cu ft which falls right in between my new 2020 Crosstrek at 55 cu ft and the 2020 Outback at 76 cu ft. My 2020 Crosstrek is slightly higher, wider but shorter than my 2009 Outback. I had to eliminate carrying a full-size spare tire and if I want to still carry my 189cm skis in the car, they will jut slightly into the center console area which is OK, though if I have a front seat passenger, they may be irritated by skis tips poking them. Can't let the driver be irritated by these things. ;)

I've ridden in both the newer Forester and Outback. Both seemed ungainly to me, enough so that I didn't even bother to test drive. Interestingly my 2020 Crosstrek has a sportier feel more like my 1997 Outback than my 2009 Outback which had more of a lofty boat-like luxury car feeling.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My choice came down to the height of the open lift gate. I have a loft in my garage and my garage door is lower than most. The CX-5 and Forester open lift gates hit the garage open garage door. But the Crosstrek was like Goldilocks, just right in more ways than one.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Like most else, it all comes down to personal preference. If you like bigger, go with the Forester or Outback. If you like smaller, go with the Crosstrek.

I came off a 2009 Outback which was the last year the Outback was a high ground clearance wagon before it became another gargantuan SUV. At the time, I bought it to replace my 1997 Outback as I knew the 2010 would be larger.

For me as a kayaker, a low roof is my friend. My 2009 Outback had a 61.6in. height while the 2020 Outback has a 66.4in. height. The 2020 Crosstrek falls in the middle at 63.6in. The 2020 Forester at 68.1in. was immediately out of the question. IMHO, the only valid reason to build high is to get ground clearance. Considering all the 2020 Subarus mentioned have 8.7in. ground clearance, there is no reason to buy the taller one.

Total cargo space in my 2009 Outback was 65 cu ft which falls right in between my new 2020 Crosstrek at 55 cu ft and the 2020 Outback at 76 cu ft. My 2020 Crosstrek is slightly higher, wider but shorter than my 2009 Outback. I had to eliminate carrying a full-size spare tire and if I want to still carry my 189cm skis in the car, they will jut slightly into the center console area which is OK, though if I have a front seat passenger, they may be irritated by skis tips poking them. Can't let the driver be irritated by these things. ;)

I've ridden in both the newer Forester and Outback. Both seemed ungainly to me, enough so that I didn't even bother to test drive. Interestingly my 2020 Crosstrek has a sportier feel more like my 1997 Outback than my 2009 Outback which had more of a lofty boat-like luxury car feeling.
I had an Outback as a loaner last year and was very happy to get back in the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Also a kayaker - totally agree. Those inches make a huge difference. In addition to being too tall it also blows my mind that the Outback limits the cross rail position, only good for small equipment now. No way to get my 16 ft Romany on cross rails that close together. Used to be (pre 2012) all my kayaking buddies were driving Outbacks- not any more!
My Crosstrek does it all, 16ft kayaks, hauls my teardrop, totes hay on the cargo carrier, hauls my K9 and his oversized crate with room left over and gets outstanding gas mileage - oh and looks good doing it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wife has a 2018 Crosstrek Limited, I have 2019 Forester Touring. I feel with 30 more hp the 2021 Crosstrek is going to be a blast. Really curious to see how it goes.

My wife is 4'11" she has the Crosstrek, I'm 6'5" I need the room. My daughter had a 2015 Forester, when I got mine I told her it's a different car she was like yeah yeah its the same car just newer. She just bought a 2020 Forester Touring $33k b4 taxes and fees, (same combo as mine). I asked her how she liked it. She said it's a completely different car. 🤔
Her words were quieter, smoother, bigger inside, more luxurious.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts