Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An entry dated July 28th on the cars101.com homepage notes that Subaru has officially discontinued the US version of the Crosstrek hybrid, though a fair number of the cars still remain on dealer lots. There are some good observations over there as to why the hybrid wasn't more successful ... cars101 calls it the "Tribeca effect." :blink:

·
Registered
772 Posts
An entry dated July 28th on the cars101.com homepage notes that Subaru has officially discontinued the US version of the Crosstrek hybrid, though a fair number of the cars still remain on dealer lots. There are some good observations over there as to why the hybrid wasn't more successful ... cars101 calls it the "Tribeca effect." :blink:
Great car. Totally worth the cost to upgrade... but the misconceptions regarding the fuel economy are of course why it didn't sell well. It makes sense for them to divert their limited production capacity to the models that sell.

RIP

·
Registered
783 Posts
Subaru's just opening up manufacturing capacity for the Turbo Crosstrek.
Don't always believe what cars101 post's. As far as a turbo Crosstrek I'll believe it when I see come from Subaru!

·
Registered
818 Posts
As websites go, Cars 101 is as reliable as it gets.

And no matter how far-fetched they are, let Long Road hold onto his dreams. :)
I'll even give him some duct tape to help him hold that dream..

·
Registered
123 Posts
We will continue to enjoy our Hybrid for a long time to come. It's a shame that Suby did away with the car, but sales speak for themselves. Hopefully there will be some sort of re-visitation to the technology in the not too far away future..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe it makes sense to discontinue the XV Hybrid. The truth is that the XV Hybrid did not offer anything impressive. Costs 5k more than the limited and only offered 4 more mpg in city. The highway was the same as the limited. It seems that most of the gains you have from the hybrid are negated by the weight of the batteries that you are dragging around. When I decided to get the XV and was looking through the models, the Hybrid benefit did not stand out enough to convince me. Nor for the cost of ownership (price tag), neither for its environmental benefits. Of course, this is how I viewed it and I do mostly highway miles. Maybe for someone that lives in the city it makes sense to add 4 mpg but if you consider the initial cost of purchase you would probably get it for the environmental reasons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The real questions are...

What does this do to the resale value? Does it become a collectors piece? Or does it become something no one wants, because parts are harder to obtain?

How long will Subaru supply American dealers with parts to service these vehicles? The batteries typically last 8 years, what happens after that time?

I was planning on holding onto my 2014 for at least 6 years, but now, perhaps she stays with me a decade or longer?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, every time I park my Hybrid I get comments like "I didn't know they made a Crosstrek Hybrid". To me that's worth it not having the same thing everyone else has. Plus that extra power DOES make a difference, battery and all. It has a lot better power and handling to me than my daughter's 2014. The rear LED tail lights look so much better than stock. And you couldn't pay me to drive around in those god aweful looking stock non-hybrid wheels...please. The Hybrid's rims look so much better.

The hybrid is just a better looking and handling all around Crosstrek. It's rarer now and that makes me smile.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
It may be gone but not for long I suspect. It's beneficial for all automakers to have one or more hybrids' in their lineup in order to avoid jurisdictional penalty's. I suspect we'll see a Crosstrek hybrid shortly after it's re-introduced on the new global platform.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.