Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,042 Posts
Well the strut brace seems to have helped a little bit, there are a few "Aggressive" turns on my way to work and it feels a bit more planted, but that good just be a placebo. lol

I need to mess with the engine cover again, since I shimmed it up a bit so it wasn't hitting the A/C fitting, around 4k rpms I can hear it lightly tapping the A/C fitting. I guess its moving around enough at certain RPMs to cause it to touch the A/C fitting, I popped the hood when I got to work and can see where its touching. I am thinking a small square of double sided 3M tape should do the trick or try to shim it even higher.

I would have left it with no shims, but I didn't like the idea of have the cover smacked right up against the A/C fitting all the time.

Do you have a link for the strut brace? And how much do you think it helps how the car drives?

The rest of my order from Diode Dynamics showed up today.

They are like thirty minutes from my house, so quick shipping!

How deep are those lights back to front?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Do you have a link for the strut brace? And how much do you think it helps how the car drives?

How deep are those lights back to front?
Here is their main website:

I technically bought it from his amazon page, the tax/shipping worked out to be a bit cheaper.

As for how much it helped? Not sure, I know Subaru sells one for the 18+ crosstreks, the design is different, but it more or less does the same thing. Subaru did a good job with the chassis on these cars, so I didn't really notice much of a difference when I put it on. But I like the look and I know it can help, even if I can't feel anything.

The diagram on their website shows 2.4" for the total depth(length?), for the universal one using a different mount type, but I am pretty sure all their 3" pod lights are the same size, just different mounting brackets and lenses. I can double check when I get home from work today (if I remember).

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Friendly tip, put loctite on those SS3 hardware bolts, I lost 1/4 bolt on my SS3 - it's very hard to find the correct thread bolt replacement. I am still searching as of today. Also add tension or lock washer.
Thanks for the tip, I typically either use a nyloc style nut/loctite on fasteners that don't have a high torque spec or are in a spot where they might rattle loose. I am not a fan of lock washers, unless you have a serrated type, the split style ones are questionable as to whether or not they actually do anything, plenty of stuff online about that. lol

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well my two back ordered lights finally showed up today.

Also got tired of borrowing my buddies polishing pads & machine (for my other cars) went ahead and picked up a kit from chemical guys. I love their jet seal and mirror finish glaze, adds some nice depth honestly. I personally haven't tried the collonite 845 insulator wax yet, but I have heard great things about it from online and friends. I have used other collonite products in the paste with great results!

My plan is to strip anything the dealership may have applied, clay bar, either spot polish or hit the entire car with v38 (I have some mirror scuffs from daily driving), mirror finish glaze, jet seal and then wax. Should get that ice silver metallic popping!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
120 Posts
Well Missouri requires a front plate, which I originally had on the front bumper in the "Factory" location, thanks dealership for drilling holes in my bumper :mad:.
Just so you don't go and say something nasty to your dealership: The front license plate holes are pre-drilled at the factory. I asked about it when I custom ordered my manual 2020 and there was no way to avoid having them. I ended up using some bumper plugs from BumperPlugs.com. They're expensive but they did the trick.

I should mention that my car is registered in Arizona where front license plates are not required.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just so you don't go and say something nasty to your dealership: The front license plate holes are pre-drilled at the factory. I asked about them when I ordered my 2020 and there was no way to avoid having them. I ended up using some bumper plugs from BumperPlugs.com. They're expensive but they did the trick.

View attachment 300346
I know those holes are predrilled from the factory, they are meant for the "non US" plate style. I was referring to the two dimples that are more inwards from the two giant holes. My dealership, like most, just ran some self tappers in for their logo plate. I have no problem with those holes in the bumper, that is how I was able to mount my "fancy" acrylic plate. lol

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
25 Posts
Mine looked like they were "predrilled" with screws!

I drilled out the holes and used bolts with fender washers on the backside. I was furious when I pulled off the plate but got over it when I remembered I will be chopping all that plastic off when I get my off road bumpers next year.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Mine looked like they were "predrilled" with screws!
View attachment 300347

I drilled out the holes and used bolts with fender washers on the backside. I was furious when I pulled off the plate but got over it when I remembered I will be chopping all that plastic off when I get my off road bumpers next year.
Mine looked exactly like yours, two holes from the factory and two drilled in by the dealership. I had no say in it though, my car was one that was already on the lot when I went to get it.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Better make sure you are sitting down for this update.

Since I own a base model, I didn't get the rear cargo area cover, or I was screwed over by the dealership. Either way I didn't have one.

Picked up a lightly used one for significantly cheaper than new. It isn't 100% perfect, but for the price I can't complain.

I also picked up these storage "bags" that hang on the rear seats. I found out about them through a crosstrek facebook page I am on and they seem to be quite popular. They have black with orange trim, but I have no orange anywhere in my car. So I went with the grey with black trim. The picture I took makes them look lighter and less grey than they actually are, but I think they will look good enough when installed.

Link to where I got them, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
271 Posts
Those storage bags look nice. Would you mind posting a pic of them installed and a review?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Those storage bags look nice. Would you mind posting a pic of them installed and a review?
Sure thing, I can do my best to review them as well. I should have them installed in about two weeks, I am taking a week off of work to install basically everything I have bought and once all that is done I will be putting the storage bags on. I didn't want to get them all installed, only to remove it again for when i have to haul all the parts around that I got.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Picked up a like new shift knob from the higher trim models for dirt cheap, the seller put an STI shift knob in their car and were basically giving this away.

Also ordered a Curt Class 3 hitch from etrailer, they are about an hour from me, so I had it in less than a day. Unfortunately even in the short distance it traveled, it got a few minor dings in the powder coat. They did a great job packaging it though. UPS just doesn't handle stuff carefully.

I haven't bought a receiver yet or a plug for the hitch, etrailers prices are too high for the accessory stuff in my opinion.

I went with the Tekonsha wire harness based off of the reviews and it was recommended by etrailer as well vs some of the other options. I do like that it has a fused link on it and the box that houses the wiring, etc...is enclosed in the black rubber stuff (don't remember the name) so it makes it for water and vibration resistant. I do plan on routing it through one of the grommets in the floor in the back and outside the car.

Hope I can get all this stuff in my car next week when I make a trip down to my parents to install it, kind wish I had shipped some of it too them. lol

·
Registered
Subaru Crosstrek XV 2015
30 Posts
Tip for installing hitch prevent accident push the bolt lost into the beam. Cut cardboard card size with a V cutout - once you have the bolt through the hole, jam that cardboard to hold the bolts in place when mounting. Once you thread on all bolts at the tip, you can pull the cardboard away.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Tip for installing hitch prevent accident push the bolt lost into the beam. Cut cardboard card size with a V cutout - once you have the bolt through the hole, jam that cardboard to hold the bolts in place when mounting. Once you thread on all bolts at the tip, you can pull the cardboard away.
Thanks for the tip! Should make things a bit easier.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Well I am still working through the pile of stuff I have, but I shrunk down the size quite a bit over the last couple days.

Did an oil change and tire rotation. Got it clay barred, glazed, sealed & waxed. No pictures yet, waiting for everything to be done first.

Got most of my leds in, still trying to get the license plate ones in, the housing don't want to come out.

Low beams, thankfully they dropped right in and the bulbs were aligned perfectly just as the directions call for. I haven't driven at night yet, but I did compare the beam pattern against the wall between the led and halogen and I didn't see a massive difference between the two for the light pattern, but I guess time will tell.

Cargo Light

Mud flaps

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Trailer Hitch Installed

Suspension hasn't settled yet in this picture, I had it on jack stands for the tire rotation.

My new to me shift knob

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Made some more progress yesterday and this morning.

Got the SSD light bar installed, unfortunately I ended up with the one bar that didn't bolt together correctly. I had to chop 1/2" off each end of the bars mounting points so it would fit. Other than that it went together without too many issues. Got the lights aligned the best that I could and I got my SS3 fog lights in as well.

I ended up feeding the wires through the grommet in the door, I poked a small hole in it and fed them through. It is away from the hinges and when the door is fully opened it is close to the sleeve on the wiring, but no touching it. I will keep and eye on it and adjust as needed.

Wiring behind the bumper, hard to get a good photo of it.

As luck would have it, I wasn't able to keep my license plate in the relocated spot. I would have had to bend the license plate to fit with the lights that I bought. So I made the bracket that comes with the kit work and I will probably order the tow hook upgrade that perrin offers.

The SS3 fogs I set about 1-2 degrees down, my rough math of the stock light alignment instructions gets that pretty close.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Not the most exciting update, but I decided to hold off on the rear differential guard until later on when I have the car in the air again. I just don't have enough space to work with it on the ground and I am basically out of time that I had to do this work. I also drilled a hole in my spare tow hook cover and I ordered the tow hook portion from Perrin.

The hole isn't 100% perfectly centered, but its pretty close in my opinion, considering the shape of the bumper.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts