Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
How tough does that feel? Does it seem like you could use it as a jack point still?

The price point is not much less than the Primitive Racing version.
It feels pretty solid, I am sure you could use it as a jack point, but I know the instructions it came with said to remove it before using a jack. I don't plan to use it as a jack point. lol

I am fine with the OEM one, not too expensive and I am sure it works just fine, about the most off roading I will ever see is a dirt road.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well my hardware showed yesterday, so I went ahead and installed the engine cover again with the correct stuff.

Hardware I used, not pictured are the spacers, but here are the part numbers for them from McMaster-Carr
92511A105 & 92511A081. The hardware came from bolt depot, I did order two of each washer just incase, but I only used one of each size.

It is lightly raining outside, so every time I would try to wipe off the water it would just streak & get more water on it. So I will have to wait till its nicer out again and give it a good cleaning.

I may need order another bolt that is an additional 1/4" longer for the side that uses the nut, I decided to go with a nylon locking nut vs a lock washer and once it was all tight the bolt is flush with the nut, so its threaded into the nylon portion, but I would prefer the bolt to have a few threads past the end of the nut just in case. I also went with regular hex head bolts, instead of the allen head that this cover comes with. Its cheaper and easier to work with in my opinion.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Not a massive update, but I think I finally decided on what light bar mount and lights I want to use.

I think I am going to go with the SSD performance light bar and then run four of these Hella Led lights, I like the look and they seem pretty decent for the cost.

Planning on using a switch from Smk Fabrication, I am not sure which switch location I will use yet.

I am also talking with Steve from Smk about him making a harness (as well as offering it on his site) that will power all four lights and work with his switch, I can make my own, but if I can get one that is completely done already, I will.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Changed my mind on the fog lights went with these instead: Off-Road LED Work Light/LED Driving Light - 6" Round - 39W - 2,200 Lumens | Super Bright LEDs

They are local to me, so I got a pair in the mail today, the other pair is on backorder for about a week or so.

Ordered the SSD light bar mount yesterday as well and the SMK fabrication switch and the modified Diode Dynamics harness he offers to work with the switch he sells. More pictures to come when the stuff arrives.

I got the look from here: http://vipautoaccessories.com/vehicles/subaru/18-crosstrek-led-lamp/#2

This is the shop that did the lift install, wheels & tires for the dealership I got my crosstrek from. I was looking at their showroom and saw this one and it had the same led lights and a SSD light bar.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
SSD Bar showed up today! Nothing really too much to show, but its a nice piece. I did test fit my two lights I have on it and I think it will all work out fitment wise. The ends of the tubes are capped with a plastic/rubber type of cover, which is fine, the other pictures I saw online made me think they were welded at the ends.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got my license plate delete plate in. Kind of wish I hadn't bought the OEM subaru license plate mount with 3M tape on the back, have to get that off at some point so I can get the light bar on. I also got my Y-harness for my fog lights in today.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Post up when it's installed my dude!
My other two lights had the back order extended an additional two weeks, so that kind of sucks. My harness and dash switch are on the way, I also ordered a Perrin license plate relocation kit, I couldn't figure out how to get the one SSD provides to work without having issues. My current plan is to install basically everything I have the first week of July, I am wanting to take that week off of work and just focus on getting this stuff all done.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well my fog light switch and modified diode dynamics harness showed up yesterday from SMK Fabrication.

Picked up the oil for my first oil change, oil debate anyone? :D Still have a month or so before I will need to change it.

I have some more stuff on the way, will post that stuff up when it gets here.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
Definitely need another oil debate! It has been many minutes since the last one! Or how about which tires are best? 😸

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Definitely need another oil debate! It has been many minutes since the last one! Or how about which tires are best? 😸
I love how much "debating" on oil happens on this site, I came from the Acura/Honda world and the forum I use to get on all the time is significantly larger than this one and it was as daily struggle trying to sort through those fresh, what oil should I use, post. lol

If it makes anyone feel better, I am going to be using an OEM Subaru oil filter.

As for tires, I don't think I could read another one. o_O

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Few more things showed up today.

Got my Perrin License plate relocation bracket, coolant (just incase), oil filter & crush washer. The reason I got the relocation bracket was due to the fact that I will end up blocking my current plate location when the bar and lights go on and Missouri requires a front plate. I also can't figure out how to make the SSD license plate bracket work, so this was the easiest solution and not terribly expensive either.

Got to cover up those nasty license plate holes they dealership put in.

I do have a new unpainted tow eye cover on the way, I plan to cut a hole in it for the shaft of the license plate relocation bracket, that way there isn't a hole behind the license plate. Unfortunately I won't have it until this weekend and I won't have the step drill bits I bought to make the hole for another week.

Also my other two lights are now on backorder until June 12th, so at this rate I might have to put two of the lights on and do the other two later.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Not much of an update, still waiting on my two remaining led lights from superbrightleds, I went ahead and took advantage of the 20% off from Diode Dynamics and ordered led reverse, license, dome, map & trunk light. Along with the SL1 led low beam lights and the white SS3 sport SAE/DOT fog lights, I thought about getting yellow, I don't really like the look of yellow, I also felt the PRO ones are way to bright for any of the driving I will do and they are quite a bit more expensive. They have a few items on back order, so once all that comes in, I will add it to the pile of stuff I need to install. :LOL:

I am still shooting for early July for installing most of the stuff I have purchased and received.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
I find it weird to see the front plate on the side like that. Is that state law?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I find it weird to see the front plate on the side like that. Is that state law?
Well Missouri requires a front plate, which I originally had on the front bumper in the "Factory" location, thanks dealership for drilling holes in my bumper :mad:. The light bar I purchased to install on the front of my car will end up blocking the stock license plate location, so I went ahead and relocated it off to the side of the car where the tow point is at.

If you look online at the SSD light bars, you can get a better idea of what I am talking about with it blocking the license plate location. Also there are cars that came stock with the plate mounted off to the side as well, Eco boost F150s, Mitsubishi Evo's (I am not sure if all generations were like that or not), probably a couple of others as well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well Missouri requires a front plate, which I originally had on the front bumper in the "Factory" location, thanks dealership for drilling holes in my bumper :mad:. The light bar I purchased to install on the front of my car will end up blocking the stock license plate location, so I went ahead and relocated it off to the side of the car where the tow point is at.

If you look online at the SSD light bars, you can get a better idea of what I am talking about with it blocking the license plate location. Also there are cars that came stock with the plate mounted off to the side as well, Eco boost F150s, Mitsubishi Evo's (I am not sure if all generations were like that or not), probably a couple of others as well.
My SSD light bar, exactly like yours, came with a bracket to relocate the license plate below the bar.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My SSD light bar, exactly like yours, came with a bracket to relocate the license plate below the bar.
Mine did as well, however I couldn't get it to work properly with my lights I purchased during my test fitting. I was either crushing the plate bracket or the lights weren't tightened properly. It fits perfect against the light mounting tabs, but it leaves a gap, so when I tried to tighten the nut it was just going to crush it and if I tried to put the light on first and then a second nut for the license plate bracket, it wasn't seating right. If I was doing something wrong, then oh well, I already bought something else to relocate my plate. lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mine did as well, however I couldn't get it to work properly with my lights I purchased during my test fitting. I was either crushing the plate bracket or the lights weren't tightened properly. It fits perfect against the light mounting tabs, but it leaves a gap, so when I tried to tighten the nut it was just going to crush it and if I tried to put the light on first and then a second nut for the license plate bracket, it wasn't seating right. If I was doing something wrong, then oh well, I already bought something else to relocate my plate. lol
Yes, the bracket doesn't fit flat against the bottom of the light mounting tabs but I just cranked down on it until the bracket bent up into the bottom of the tabs. It's not going anywhere now.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts