Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made a post in the new member part of the forum not too long ago, but I decided to make a thread here to kind of document things I have done or will do to my crosstrek.

To start things off I purchased a 2020 Subaru Crosstrek Base with CVT in Ice Silver Metallic on February 22, 2020. Came off the dealer showroom floor with a 2" ADF lift (website only shows 1.5", but the lift spacers look like 2", still need to verify) Kuat roof basket, Method 502 wheels and 215/75r15 Toyo Open Country tires.

Here is the only real photo I have currently from the day I bought it, the weather in Missouri has been terrible lately.

A few days after purchasing it, I purchased the LP Aventure jack spacer (really nice piece) just incase I am somewhere I have to use the stock jack. Husky weather beater floor liners (15% off!!!), along with a Subaru windsheild sunshade & front license plate bracket.

Then about a week ago I realized that the base model crosstreks didn't come with a hood insulator (or mine was never installed), so some quick searching on the online parts store(s) and I found a number and ordered it.

Hood insulator part # 90815FL410

You technically only need 8 clips, but I ordered 10 just incase I lost or broke some.

Installed!

Also purchased some RokBlokz mud flaps

I was trying to decide between the OEM fog light kit or the OLM kit and I decided to go the OLM kit after some research, since its all OEM and the fog light housing are the aftermarket part, plus these are 55w set up vs the lower wattage from the factory ones.

I am hoping to install the mud flaps & fog lights early April once I have some time.

Parts on order:
-SSD Strut Brace (see post #12)
-SSD Engine cover (see post #12)

Parts I plan to order (several things on the market, so I am trying to decide which ones to get):
-Light Bar & mount of some kind (see post # 24 & 25)
-Rear Diff Skid Plate (see post #19)
-Transmission Skid Plate
-Engine Skid Plate (not sure on this one yet)
-Ceramic 35% tint on the front driver & passenger windows

Optional parts from Subaru:
-Auto Dimming rear view mirror
-Auto Dimming side mirrors
-Rear seat mat for when the seats are folded down (see post #12)

That is it for now, I plan to get some more pictures soon & I am sure I will find some other items to buy. lol

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
240 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

FWIW I'm really happy with my Primitive skid plates. The oil drain hole is nice and the Fumoto oil drain valve is a must. No matter what, don't order the "rally washers" from LP Adventure. They're way overpriced for no reason and you can get them cheaper.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

FWIW I'm really happy with my Primitive skid plates. The oil drain hole is nice and the Fumoto oil drain valve is a must. No matter what, don't order the "rally washers" from LP Adventure. They're way overpriced for no reason and you can get them cheaper.
Thanks! I was looking into the Primitive skid plates, their price is decent and they look like they are nice quality pieces. I have also noticed that the Fumoto oil drain valves are a pretty common item on Subarus from my searching online, I will more than likely pick one up before my first oil change. Thanks for the tip on the LP Aventure rally washers.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a few things show up the other day.

SSD engine cover

SSD strut tower brace

Some 303 aerospace protectant and cleaner

Weather has been rainy still here and with the virus stuff going on and everything more or less going into "lockdown", some of my plans to get parts installed is getting pushed off until further notice, hope to get a few of the easier things done soon though.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need some side shots of that bad boy. ?
If it would quit raining already I would have some decent ones. At this point I may just go take some regardless of how it looks, I will see how tomorrow goes. lol

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I had a bit of time before it got dark and started raining again. I also ordered the rear seat back cover from subaru, fit pretty well and easy to install.

Got the strut brace installed, that sticker was a pain to line up and make it look decent.

Only real issues I had, other than trying to properly torque down the nut closest to the firewall (crows feet FTW!), was the wiring harness for the brake fluid reservoir & some other wire is barely touching the edge of the brace. The wires themselves aren't touching, its just the split loom conduit that is over the wires, I will check it periodically to make sure nothing bad happens.

Also installed the SSD engine cover

I may need to add a single washer under the cover for each bolt to raise it up about a 1/16", it is barely touching the A/C line fitting, I don't hear any addional noise, so I may just leave it. Also for some reason it looks like its crooked, but I checked it with a level and its just about perfect.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooooo I need that engine cover!
Its pretty nice piece honestly, I did end up putting two washers on the left bolt and one on the right bolt, now it isn't touching the A/C line and it looks level now.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,441 Posts
Have you noticed any change in the handling with the strut tower brace?

And does the engine cover have any practical benefit or just cosmetic?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you noticed any change in the handling with the strut tower brace?

And does the engine cover have any practical benefit or just cosmetic?
I haven't had a chance to actually take it our for a good drive yet, but I am not expecting anything to spectacular. lol

I don't think the cover really serves much of a purpose, other than cosmetic. I felt the stock plastic one wasn't really doing much and there is a lot of just open space on top of the engine, so this cover helps hide that and clean up the engine bay in my opinion.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the strut brace seems to have helped a little bit, there are a few "Aggressive" turns on my way to work and it feels a bit more planted, but that good just be a placebo. lol

I need to mess with the engine cover again, since I shimmed it up a bit so it wasn't hitting the A/C fitting, around 4k rpms I can hear it lightly tapping the A/C fitting. I guess its moving around enough at certain RPMs to cause it to touch the A/C fitting, I popped the hood when I got to work and can see where its touching. I am thinking a small square of double sided 3M tape should do the trick or try to shim it even higher.

I would have left it with no shims, but I didn't like the idea of have the cover smacked right up against the A/C fitting all the time.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have been talking with Mike from SSD performance on the fitment issues I am having with the engine cover and from my own research and what he has told me. It looks like Subaru either changed A/C compressors for 2020 or offers two different versions depending on the model of your car (I got this info from some part number searching online).

I was able to clear everything properly by adding approximately a 1/4" in washers to both bolts, for now I ordered spacers that are a 1/4" longer and same for the hardware. Should have it by this weekend.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Decided to order the OEM subaru rear diff guard, got it for $75 shipped (free shipping coupon!!!). Whoever is in charge of packaging this for shipping needs to be fired. There are small nicks in the finish all over, probably just touch them up with some black paint and a brush.

It also a Russian federation sticker on the inside of the guard, which is interesting.

Also picked up a touch up paint pen, just incase, the color looks to be pretty close, which is good.

My spacers for my engine cover showed up, waiting for the longer hardware, suppose to show up tomorrow!

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
240 Posts
How tough does that feel? Does it seem like you could use it as a jack point still?

The price point is not much less than the Primitive Racing version.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts