Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If our readings are wrong, they are consistently wrong
We live in a rural village in mainly level undulating surrounds, 10km from a shopping centre, 80k speed limits on bitumen roads. Beyond that we use 6 lane motorways with 110km speed limits.
We don’t have lead feet and feel no compulsion to be the fastest off the mark.
XV’s were not engineered to be quick off the mark.
Very few intersections, traffic lights or stop signs.
I am 75, my wife 68. We find it easy to maintain steady and low fuel consumption, without getting in other drivers way.
Subaru Australia Service Training Manager says “Give up mate. You won’t do better”
We moved from a very nice 2yo Impreza to the XV to achieve higher seating. An Impreza on steroids.
Much easier on my stiff knees.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,300 Posts
If our readings are wrong, they are consistently wrong
We live in a rural village in mainly level undulating surrounds, 10km from a shopping centre, 80k speed limits on bitumen roads. Beyond that we use 6 lane motorways with 110km speed limits.
We don’t have lead feet and feel no compulsion to be the fastest off the mark.
XV’s were not engineered to be quick off the mark.
Very few intersections, traffic lights or stop signs.
I am 75, my wife 68. We find it easy to maintain steady and low fuel consumption, without getting in other drivers way.
Subaru Australia Service Training Manager says “Give up mate. You won’t do better”
We moved from a very nice 2yo Impreza to the XV to achieve higher seating. An Impreza on steroids.
Much easier on my stiff knees.
Enjoy.
Yes, we love the higher seating too! Much easier to get in and out of...

Well, if you really are getting that kind of fuel economy, congratulations. It's better than what Subaru claims:

6 l/100km) "extra urban"
https://www.subaru.com.au/xv/specs

I've always considered those figures as unattainable except under perfect conditions, especially the highway/motorway figures. Sure, you may get it while you're actually on the motorway and driving at a constant speed, not too fast, but at the beginning and end of the journey there will be some non-motorway driving. So to get under 6l/100km for an entire trip is amazing.

It's also amazing compared to the US figures. Subaru of America claims 33mpg highway, 27mpg city, or 29mpg combined, whereas you're getting around 40mpg! You would be quite the outlier on this chart: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek MPG - Actual MPG from 228 2018 Subaru Crosstrek owners

Clearly, Subaru thinks their cars in Australia get much better fuel economy than the US. Maybe it has to do with emission controls here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 5.9L per 100km was achieved over >300km of good black top back roads with very few other vehicles for long periods, with the GPS showing a straight line with notations like “Turn left 47km”. Long lonely two lane roads allow the driver and passenger to concentrate on avoiding emus, kangaroos, and wombats. Relieves the bordom a bit.
The eastern state back blocks normally experience drought conditions and water is delivered for grain and livestock farmers via a very lengthy series of centrally controlled gated channels. Consequently, the view from a sedan drivers seat is an expanse of flat dry countryside.
If there are any showers the little water that falls runs to the side of the sealed roads, which is where the Emus, Kangaroos, and Wombats look for green pickings, usually at night, but desperation brings them to the road verges in day light as well. Road trains don’t stop for them and there always a lot of road kill, which attracts carion. That is why we focus on avoiding hungry native animals on the road edges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I just checked my tires today and they were at 50 psi on all tires. I didn't think the dealership would pump that much air in the tires. I also filled up with Chevron gas today so I will fill you guys in. I'm pretty annoyed with the dealership at this point

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,384 Posts
Many car manufacturers (I would guess including Subaru) intentionally overinflate a new car's tires at the factory, to prevent possible flat spots during the delivery shipment. Dealers are supposed to reduce tire pressure to the proper level before sale, but it's likely that your dealer forgot.

I'm not sure how much that would effect mileage, but it would definitely mess with ride quality and cause uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Many car manufacturers (I would guess including Subaru) intentionally overinflate a new car's tires at the factory, to prevent possible flat spots during the delivery shipment. Dealers are supposed to reduce tire pressure to the proper level before sale, but it's likely that your dealer forgot.

I'm not sure how much that would effect mileage, but it would definitely mess with ride quality and cause uneven tire wear.
That makes sense but they should of adjust it.
I reduced to 36 front and 34 back and used Chevron gas today. On the screen it's showing 27.2 this never happened before. I did log it with fuelio so I can give a better real estimate next week when I fill up again using Costco gas.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I just checked my tires today and they were at 50 psi on all tires. I didn't think the dealership would pump that much air in the tires. I also filled up with Chevron gas today so I will fill you guys in. I'm pretty annoyed with the dealership at this point
I left my factory summer tyres untouched since I installed my winters. When I put the summers back on, I forgot to check them and went away. Two weeks later they were all at 45 psi, cold; the specs say 33 in the front and 32 in the rear. Granted its only by the computer count but my mileage didn't change after I reduced them to proper levels.

Was wondering if it was a shipping thing or if the dealer intentionally over inflates for less rolling resistance (better mileage) but more wear (and replacements while getting regular maintenance as in 'your tyres are badly worn and its unsafe to let you back out without buying new ones from us'). Of course, it could be neglect like how torqued my wheel nuts; specs say 89 ft lbs, they were not 89 and it was a B to break them loose after they rotated my winters.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,854 Posts
I left my factory summer tyres untouched since I installed my winters. When I put the summers back on, I forgot to check them and went away. Two weeks later they were all at 45 psi, cold; the specs say 33 in the front and 32 in the rear. Granted its only by the computer count but my mileage didn't change after I reduced them to proper levels.

Was wondering if it was a shipping thing or if the dealer intentionally over inflates for less rolling resistance (better mileage) but more wear (and replacements while getting regular maintenance as in 'your tyres are badly worn and its unsafe to let you back out without buying new ones from us'). Of course, it could be neglect like how torqued my wheel nuts; specs say 89 ft lbs, they were not 89 and it was a B to break them loose after they rotated my winters.
I have been advised by my tire shops to increase air pressure above what is on the door to save gas and tire wear. They recommended 36/34 for the Crosstrek. I have not tested the diff in my Crosstrek (because I have never run it lower), but on our Prius I have definitely seen improved gas mileage with higher pressures, at the cost of a slightly rougher ride over bumps. But the Crosstrek is so smooth anyway over bumps, I don't think there is much of a compromise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gas station 10 miles away seems unlikely (there and back for 20), but dealers will often fill up the tank on a car purchase. That could be some of the miles. And its entirely possible that someone else took a test drive before you committed, but that is getting a bit shadier.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Just filled up and the calculated consumption over the last 303 miles is 20.9 mpg. The Lie-O-Meter says 23.5 mpg. Mostly city driving with a few highway trips to Malibu, etc.

I wanted to try ethanol free gas but it seems really hard to find around here (not worth an hour roundtrip to a gas station).

Edit: Anyone in the Los Angeles area getting decent mileage and, if so, what brand of gas are you buying?

·
Registered
104 Posts
here's my stats since nov 2017 and switch methods and bfgs on april 2018. all off these calculations have been adjusted from the computer and im almost at 8k miles.

avg fuel consumption 26.78mpg
best fuel consumption 30.19 mpg
worst fuel consumption 23.11 mpg

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,027 Posts
Spot on to what I am getting on my '17 with stock wheels and tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Just filled up and the calculated consumption over the last 303 miles is 20.9 mpg. The Lie-O-Meter says 23.5 mpg. Mostly city driving with a few highway trips to Malibu, etc.

I wanted to try ethanol free gas but it seems really hard to find around here (not worth an hour roundtrip to a gas station).

Edit: Anyone in the Los Angeles area getting decent mileage and, if so, what brand of gas are you buying?
I reduced my tire pressure from 50 (dealer did it) to 36/34 and also switched from Costco gas to Chevron and 23.69 mpg . I can't really say if it's the tire or gas until next week since I just filled up yesterday

Attachments

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I reduced my tire pressure from 50 (dealer did it) to 36/34 and also switched from Costco gas to Chevron and 23.69 mpg . I can't really say if it's the tire or gas until next week since I just filled up yesterday
Our average since we got the car is 22.1 mpg, mostly city driving in LA. The best was 27.7 mpg on a trip to Los Olivos (some highway and also gas purchased outside of LA).

It would be interesting to see if the different gas brands make a difference. I haven't been able to find a gas station near Santa Monica that has low or no ethanol. However, I can get 100 Octane a few blocks away in Brentwood, for $7 a gallon, LOL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello first post here. I got my Crosstrek about a month and half ago and I'm about 1300 miles in. I do drive in LA traffic but not all the time. I'm getting about 21/22 mpg . I do use the fuelio application everytime I fill up. Is there something wrong with my car?

One thing I did notice is that my steering is lose and if I do move my hand off it does drift off pretty quick. Is this also normal since I was so use to driving a Mercedes c class sedan.

Thanks
I have about the same mileage (1300) after 2 months ownership. I am outside of LA so climate is hotter here. I’m barely getting 20 mpg. My MPG calculator says I’m doing about 15% better. We are early on in ownership so maybe mpg will improve, but the gauge accuracy is probably set at factory to be very optimistic. Where’s the love in that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've heard of 22mpg, but thats with a lift, KO2's & a roof basket w/light bar.

Now you are in Cali, so I wonder if all the extra emissions BS you guys have affect anything. But it is the stop/go that'll kill you.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I've heard of 22mpg, but thats with a lift, KO2's & a roof basket w/light bar.

Now you are in Cali, so I wonder if all the extra emissions BS you guys have affect anything. But it is the stop/go that'll kill you.
It's not BS. The air in the LA area is SO much cleaner now than when I first came here. But, yes, the stop and go in LA traffic kills the mileage. We're lucky to get over 20mpg, calculated, for a tankful unless part of it is highway driving out of the city. The Exaggerometer reports 10-15% more.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
237 Posts
It's not BS. The air in the LA area is SO much cleaner now than when I first came here. But, yes, the stop and go in LA traffic kills the mileage. We're lucky to get over 20mpg, calculated, for a tankful unless part of it is highway driving out of the city. The Exaggerometer reports 10-15% more.
Atlanta is very similar. I'm lucky that my current job is only 7 miles from my home. For the first 10 years I was here it was 25 miles one way. You've made me feel better about the gas mileage I've been getting ...

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
OAK's "commute" is only five miles on the freeway, each way, so if that's all she does the mileage is under 20mpg (calculated, not what the Exaggerometer dreams up). We got close to 30mpg, overall, with our trip to the Sierras last week! 😸

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
237 Posts
The mpg in my signature from fuelly.com is computed. I'm generally getting around 23 mpg on the work commute - all surface roads. When I make the day long trip back home I'll get low to mid 30's. I recently made a jaunt to NW Georgia on a fresh tank with the deceptometer reset. This was on 2 lane highways, few stops, averaging 60 mph. The car claimed 38 mpg. Of course I burned the rest of the gas on work commute which trended mpg down.

I don't worry about it too much. Still getting better than the previous car. And having more fun driving.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts