Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello first post here. I got my Crosstrek about a month and half ago and I'm about 1300 miles in. I do drive in LA traffic but not all the time. I'm getting about 21/22 mpg . I do use the fuelio application everytime I fill up. Is there something wrong with my car?

One thing I did notice is that my steering is lose and if I do move my hand off it does drift off pretty quick. Is this also normal since I was so use to driving a Mercedes c class sedan.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
1,300 miles isn't enough to really break-in the motor. You'll see better mileage when it hits between 3,000 and 4,000 miles.
i average (by car computer) about 32 combined mileage in my my18 6spd...i have 2000miles. youre telling me itll get better at 4000??? :O

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I just filled my tank. MPG calculated to be 29.1 but the computer read 33. The computer is a lying POS. During January when it was so dang cold (single digits) I dipped to 23 MPG. It has become better as the temps rise. Anyway, about 90% of my driving is city driving. I have 9K miles since Aug 2017. Your steering definitely needs some attention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
22 mpg sounds off. My 2018 CVT Limited has about 2k miles on it and I'm averaging 29 to 30 mpg. Mix of city and highway in the fairly constipated Baltimore-Washington Metro Area.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
i average (by car computer) about 32 combined mileage in my my18 6spd...i have 2000miles. youre telling me itll get better at 4000??? :O
To a certain extent... it will depend on how you drive, the conditions you drive in, and the engine itself. What many owners have reported is that the engine gets smoother up to about the 3,000 to 4,000 mile mark and then it's steady state from there.

·
Registered
109 Posts

On a 1,200 miles trip, towing my motorcycle, from Orlando to Atlanta: 25-26 mpg. This was 5-10 mph over speed limit or a bit more when passing 18 wheelers.

Wife using it to go to work 22 miles each way, is getting approximately 30mpg

So yeah...not sure of your driving habits, traffic conditions, fuel type...etc.

Ours has around 2,800 miles now...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I find it very odd that there are quite a few ppl here on this forum reporting that they're only 22-23 mpg on the '18 Crosstreks. Because, I've been getting 27-30 mpg consistently since I've purchased the car....that's during the break-in period too.

I wonder what's going on.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I wonder what's going on.
There's so much that affects gas mileage. Some folks are inherently lead foots and may not realize it whereas I'm gramps on the gas pedal like I'm gonna hurt it. Some have more stop signs and lights than others and traffic varies from one driver to the other. Fuel can affect gas mileage and the list goes on. I suspect that if conditions were identical for all drivers and everyone used the same gas and pressed on the gas pedal identically, we'd all get the same mileage.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Personally have a 2016, 5MT... My computer Dream-o-meter say I'm getting ~25.5 average, however, I'm actually (based on top-off calcs) getting closer to 23MPG. Chevron fuel only, 21,000 (mostly Hwy) miles on ODO.

Note 1: Aftermarket wheels/tires cost me ~ 2mpg
Note 2: I'm certainly not a lead foot, but not specifically trying to gain better mileage either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
When I got the car it had 60 miles on it from the dealer. I never hit any potholes either. I don't accelerate hard either. I pretty much baby it since it's the first 1000 miles. One more thing since I have the premium the center console has the mpg going from 20 to 99.9. anyone have this?

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the premium the center console has the mpg going from 20 to 99.9. anyone have this?
Yes, everyone has this option, it is your real time fuel calculation. You'll need to toggle through the various indicator options to get it to display the average MPG... Suggest you read about it in your owners manual.

Separately, May want to try a different gas station than Costco (fuel dispenser may be off and / or your car's fuel mileage on that brand of fuel may be suffering) - I highly recommend Chevron. Run a couple tanks of that and see if you notice any difference.

And as prior comment was made - you should immediately check ALL your air pressures. Mine always does best with ~2lbs higher in the front (e.g. 36 front, 34 back)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya I can toggle back and forth between but I never leave it on the real time fuel consumption since it's all over the place. I will check my tires today and will try a different type of gas at the next fuel up

·
Registered
734 Posts
It should definitely not be pulling. I have a 16, and I’ve found for me that 36 lbs in all 4 tires is the most comfortable ride. I know they say to use different pressure front and rear. I’ve got 23 k so far, rotating every 6 k along with the oil changes. If pressure doesn’t fix your issues, I would definitely have that looked at. As far as mileage, I would manually calculate for now. I estimate 25 mpg when I fill up or top off my gas. I’m anywhere from 25-32 depending on the driving. I’ve been closer to 38 on longer trips. I do agree that the car will break in as you get more miles on it. I wouldn’t worry just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I got the car it had 60 miles on it from the dealer. I never hit any potholes either. I don't accelerate hard either. I pretty much baby it since it's the first 1000 miles. One more thing since I have the premium the center console has the mpg going from 20 to 99.9. anyone have this?
60 miles on it? Thats a used vehicle in my book. As far as gas mileage, I get about 28-30 MPG. 22 MPG seems almost impossible, double check your math. One thing I notice, the car seems "looser" at slow speed, firmer at speed. Maybe its technology at work, either way, no issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya when I test drove it was at 40.. I think while I was doing all the paperwork someone else test drove it because it was 60 when I was driving home. Pretty shady and annoyed by that.

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,387 Posts
We've had some other comments from people in the LA metroplex who experience gas mileage in that range, and I hate to say it but I think it's probably just a byproduct of the driving conditions where you live. Even here in (relatively) small-town Montana, if I have a tank of gas that's burned just running around town its MPG will be in the lower 20s, whereas if I have a tank that's burned on a rural, 60 MPH road trip I'll get 35 or so. Over my 100k of driving, overall, I'm just a hair below the 28 MPG that Subaru advertised to me.

MPG for this vehicle just seems to vary more according to driving style than it did with other cars I've had, maybe in part because of the AWD.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts