Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So short story is that I am a VW/Audi guy but the girlfriend bought a 2020 Crosstrek Limited about a month ago. Just like with my top of the line VW Alltrack I was annoyed with the factory mix and LED/Filament bulb installations. All went well changing bulbs out until I got to the front turn signals. Tried about 5 different mid-premium range bulbs and they would be fine until they heated up then hyper-flash. I did not want to cut/alter any wires with resistors and wanted to keep the bulb seal in factory housing.

SOLUTION:
I could never find the turn signal socket by itself but noticed a Denso/Toyota part number on a different harness and went down a rabbit hole. Discovered the bulb socket unplugs separately from the harness and found that male/female harness.

I searched for the harness and went the lazy route off of Ebay with the versions that already have wires in them. The parts can be purchased from Toyota dealer stock but dont have pins/plugs in them. It also seems the harness was used for the Toyota Camry power steering pump or something so I found some used ones for a little cheaper. FYI.. (1) spot on plug is Negative and (2) + (3) are positives. (2) is only position active at least with Limited projector headlights but I also wired (3) to use both filaments since Subaru still used a 7443 socket.

I first tested the harness with the Philips 21w resistors but those didnt work after heating up and hyperflash demon returned. So I used some 50w resistors I had from a 7443 harness I had ordered off of Ebay. The link I put below are the resistors I used but I'm sure any 50w ones would work.

So yes the finished product isn't pretty but that's mainly because I was messing with things soo much. That last pic is it installed on the driver's side. I ran my self test of blinker each blinker running for 5 minutes too get things scorching hot and no hyperblink. Tested engine on and just ignition on. Cheers.

PARTS:

-Led Amber Turn Signal Bulbs: JDM ASTAR 2x 7443/7440 1400lm LED Turn Signal Light Bulb Amber Yellow High Power | eBay

-Male Harness Adapter 11016: 1x Connector 3 Pin 3-way for Toyota Headlight 90980-11016 | eBay

-Female Harness Adapter 11015: 1x Male Connector 3-way 3 pin for Toyota Headlight 90980-11015 | eBay

-50w Resistors: 7443 LED Rear Turn Signal Load Resistor Adapter Anti Hyper Flash Error Canceler | eBay

·
Registered
19 Crosstrek Limited ORANGE
37 Posts
Nice work, I like it! I currently have some "resistor free" bulbs installed front and rear, but they hyper flash. Looks like I'll be doing this now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work, I like it! I currently have some "resistor free" bulbs installed front and rear, but they hyper flash. Looks like I'll be doing this now!
Start with the fronts. The rear didn't seem that sensitive at all. The link for the rear reds I used are below. She ran them for a month with no hyper.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red Pearl
71 Posts
Hi, I see that there are two filaments in that stock bulb. Do you recall what they are for? I also have a limited and am trying to do this. I also noticed that you used LED bulbs with a canbus resistor in them already?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I see that there are two filaments in that stock bulb. Do you recall what they are for? I also have a limited and am trying to do this. I also noticed that you used LED bulbs with a canbus resistor in them already?

Thanks.
I'm not sure if they actually have a resistor built in. Not a big one at least. I'm not sure why they use a dual filament bulb or socket. I could only think that maybe on the other trims it actually is a turn signal/ parking light.

·
Registered
71 Posts
thanks for your timely response. I was originally looking at these
2013-2020 Subaru Crosstrek Xtreme LED Turn Signal | Xenon Depot

I thought it was super cool in the video, with its ceramic heat stuff. (as you said the heat does something)
Didnt show hyperflash too and the install looked easy on the limited headlight assembly.

But if you go to the product page, it says use resistors :/ Damn them.

So basically, you wanted a new harness, couldnt find it, frankenstined from existing toyota parts and added your own resistors correct?
Like I could do the same but butcher my existing harness right? I like that yours is reversable/clean. Shoddy connections suck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your timely response. I was originally looking at these
2013-2020 Subaru Crosstrek Xtreme LED Turn Signal | Xenon Depot

I thought it was super cool in the video, with its ceramic heat stuff. (as you said the heat does something)
Didnt show hyperflash too and the install looked easy on the limited headlight assembly.

But if you go to the product page, it says use resistors :/ Damn them.

So basically, you wanted a new harness, couldnt find it, frankenstined from existing toyota parts and added your own resistors correct?
Like I could do the same but butcher my existing harness right? I like that yours is reversable/clean. Shoddy connections suck.
Yeah. As I said I'm a VW/Audi guy and huge on cleanest install. Big thing with this was it is the girlfriend's and was less than a month old. I wanted something I could also quickly/cleanly reverse if something went wrong or if it had to visit the dealer for something electrical since it was soo new. Also yeah... I spent many hours on different websites being let down seeing that they say resistors might still be needed. I've been meaning to put this on an Impreza site somewhere but not too familiar with the scene.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah. As I said I'm a VW/Audi guy and huge on cleanest install. Big thing with this was it is the girlfriend's and was less than a month old. I wanted something I could also quickly/cleanly reverse if something went wrong or if it had to visit the dealer for something electrical since it was soo new. Also yeah... I spent many hours on different websites being let down seeing that they say resistors might still be needed. I've been meaning to put this on an Impreza site somewhere but not too familiar with the scene.
Thank You. And I agree with you, came from an 01 B5 Passat before this ;)
I believe the Impreza uses the same wiring. Btw, is it a CK style socket?
And another thing, which crap ones did you try before? Just wanna make sure I dont mess up.
Was thinking of Lasfit T-7443A-CK to match the output of the T-7440A on the rears. Maybe you have tried this and it still doesnt work with resistors?

Lastly, what other bulb locations have you replaced and with which brands.

Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You. And I agree with you, came from an 01 B5 Passat before this ;)
I believe the Impreza uses the same wiring. Btw, is it a CK style socket?
And another thing, which crap ones did you try before? Just wanna make sure I dont mess up.
Was thinking of Lasfit T-7443A-CK to match the output of the T-7440A on the rears. Maybe you have tried this and it still doesnt work with resistors?

Lastly, what other bulb locations have you replaced and with which brands.

Really appreciate the help.
I tried Lasfit but returned them since I still had to use resistors so I just used some half the price. They are NOT CK style even though the website says so. Those did not light at all. I listed rear turn bulbs above and reverse bulbs are https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085TK1QST?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great. Makes sense to not use the more expensive ones since they do not function fully. I went ahead and ordered the same turn signals you linked and some 50w 6ohm resistors. I'll pick up the wiring plugs from Toyota near me since its cheaper and I have tons of the proper wires. I'll report back in a couple of days.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok heres an update.

I went to pick up my parts at the Toyota dealership. I assumed they had pins at least, but it is just the connector :( Hunting the right pins would be a nightmare, and i dont have the proper crimper.
I got duped from searching the part number and finding chinese sellers who did in fact include the pins.
Going to have to return them. no biggie. lesson learned for not reading your post super thoroughly. $9 x 4 =$36

With a bit of spite, I ran to the junkyard with 20 minutes left on the day to search for these connectors. As you know, anything within the last 10 years is 'too new' for a DIY scrap yard. No XV's.
But was able to easily find and cut two 11016 females connectors with plenty of wiring off a 2009 Subaru Legacy. $3 admission and $1.99 x 2.
I did not have enough time left to search for 11015s.

Since it's a Japanese connector, I took a look under the hood of my girlfriend's 2003 2.4 4cyl Camry.
Lo and behold, the 11015 and 11016 connector is used right on the AC compressor.
For some reason all I got on parts.toyota.com was 12-15 Yaris turn signal....

I was too focused looking at headlight wiring at the junkyard instead of looking elsewhere.
Given how popular the Toyota 2.4 is, I now have something to go by.
I'll go back tomorrow and try hitting up all the 4cyl Toyotas from 2002-2007.

It should cost in total, $14.
I'll deoxidize the pins, splice and solder them with the 50w resistors I received and rewrap them with Tesa tape to neaten them like you did.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes yes. Guess I should have been more detailed. For whatever reason it's a Toyota part originally made by Denso for A/C compressors and steering pumps I believe. 20xx Camrys is what was coming up for me when I was looking around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts