Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have just purchased a 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Limited, and I am struggling in figuring out what snow tires to purchase... Crosstrek comes with 225/55 R17s with 17x7" rims, and I am looking to get 225/60 R16s with 16x7.5" rims - Are these compatible with the Crosstrek? Any insight regarding this would be so much appreciated!!! Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, those will work especially since you're dropping an inch diameter size off the wheel and increasing the tire height to 60. I am currently running 16x6.5 (2001 Impreza RS stock Wheels) with 215/60/16 Firestone Winter Force Tires. The speedo is off almost 1mph or about 2%. I would have preferred 65's over 60's with mine being 215's so the speedo would be less than 1-2% but these came off my Subaru Baja and are like brand new. Use this site if you ever have doubts when pulling the trigger on a different tire size: https://tiresize.com/

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm running 215/65R16 (Nokians) on 16x6.5 steelies. 225/60R16 might be better with 16x7.5 rims (wider rim - wider tire).

Reactions: JasonXV!

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
BTW. All XVs built so far have the same tire specs and capabilities for using various sizes. I would suggest to go through many of the threads here from previous years as they will provide a lot of insight in what has worked for other members in similar situations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im looking to learn... what does this mean?
It means when you run through heavy stuff, the narrower tire rides closer to the pavement, cutting down through the mush and fluff, to get to a denser surface, whether pavement, or hardpack snow.

The wider the tire, the higher it floats on the snow/slush, on a less dense surface. Much akin to hydroplaning. A rolling ski.

These stock tire widths are a bit too wide to start. You see, this is just a jacked up impreza, cars that run 195 width tires.

Going narrower places the corner weight back into a smaller contact patch, effectively raising the psi of the footprint seen on the roadway, improving traction and cornering.

Also, more sidewall is adventageous because flex helps the tire not break free in a bumpy corner.

Yes, its been discussed thorougly, lots of dialog to go though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts