Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 2020 Crosstrek XV and am having trouble locating a good crossbar set at a decent price due to the lack of a gap on the rails. Any recommendations you have for a set would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have another posted where I mentioned my trials and tribulations fitting my existing Thule Criterium 598 bike racks to the factory crossbars, required a little field engineering, aka a small bend to the hardware. While researching equipment though it looks like Yakima has a mounting system that will fit Subaru rails and then pick the crossbar that you want. It's their Timberline system. TimberLine System

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are you looking to fit onto a standard 2020 model or the Hybrid? They have different rails (Hybrid is low profile for aerodynamics) and the Hybrid only has 1 crossbar set available from Thule. No one else makes them for the Hybrid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did tons of research on this. Obviously Yakima and Thule are the best but also expensive. Of the cheap ones I found only one didn't have the major flaws that would result in failure and that was the Malone, but some things about it like the end caps aren't the best, but overall will cost about the same as the OEM bars (if you get them on the internet for around 165 shipped). In the end I decided to keep my old Yakima round bars so I can avoid losing my bike carriers and having to buy unsecured and expensive Mighty Mounts for my ski carrier. I don't leave it on when not going on a ski trip so aero bars matter less (if you leave them on a lot then I would get aero). The Timberline towers are the new product for this but they are expensive, so I bought the previous generation, the Railgrab, used on ebay for about $85 and just plug my old bars into them. Also have to buy the medium size claws separately, but that will do the trick. In addition I'll buy used lock cores and new pads. Total cost with this route will be a little cheaper than Malone or OEM but give me a more solid product with better locking security, albeit with round bars instead of aero. Had I gone for new I think I would have done the OEM factory just because they are really easy and they are specifically designed for the car not to drag and make noise and I don't carry much up there. But if I wanted more robust (better capacity/strength), versatile (wider bars, not curved, and with T-bolt slot), and was willing to deal with more installation hassle and possibly more noise I would have gone with Malone. So I suggest you decide if the OEM is doable and if it is then go with that. If you can deal with the insecurity of no locks, the curvature of the bars, and won't be loading up a ton of stuff up there, then get those. If you need better and can deal with the extra hassles (and lost end caps) and need to save money, then go with Malone. Don't mess with the $50 off-brand ones on Amazon. Many have good experiences but many also have had them go flying off. The Malone doesn't seem to have the failure danger that the super cheap ones do and is the best value compromise out there for people who don't want to pay the Yakima and Thule prices. (there are a couple other robust brands too but their prices are about the same as Yak/Thule)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts