Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I have been planning a trip across the US for this coming March... and we were wondering if anyone who has been on a decent trip living/sleeping in the Crosstrek could give insight on some things we may want to bring/have with us.

We will be taking the slow and scenic route from Florida to Colorado, then back.

Major items on our list currently:
-Side Window Visors/Reflectors (must have to crack the windows)
-Heatshield reflectors to cover all windows
-Outdoor canopy and folding table/chairs
-Inverter
-The essentials...

We also plan on setting a futon mattress in the back. (we tried it for 30 minutes or so, and I think it'll work)

Any tips or tricks?
Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Given that you're planning to turn the car into a mobile hotel I might suggest getting a hotel for the roof (aka ROOF TOP TENT). That would allow you to carry your hotel on the roof with all of your sheets, blankets, and pillows.

You can get canopies for these as well, so there you go.

HOWEVER, you need to have a comfortable budget (upwards of $2k) for the tent and shipping.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tried to sleep in the back of my Crosstrek last night. Splitting headache and I had to take my son to his swimming practice. I'm 72" and I had to curl up. Not a lot of room in there especially if there were two. You will need to extend the rear seat backs somehow to get enough length. Also, it's going to be no fun to unpack the car every time just to sleep in the back. I agree that the roof top tent might be the better way to go.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Normal tent would also be a better option but sleeping in the car really isn't that bad if you are short enough. See this thread for some tips. The only thing I would add is a mosquito netting since you are going through southern part of US. There should be enough points in Crosstrek to hang a normal camping netting inside the car.

Normal camping essentials applies so look up normal camping packing list to see what you should bring with you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I remember seeing a few YouTube videos about people who converted the cargo area into sleeping quarters with under bed storage... kind of interesting and worth looking into. Strictly a do it yourself arrangement.

There is an alternative, but pricier. KOA campgrounds have cabins for rent. Maybe 40-60 per night. Some require your own linens. Camping Reservations, Campgrounds and Campsites| KOA. In the southern states, most are still open.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input all! Note: we plan on trying to camp/sleep in as many FREE places as possible... National Parks, Rest Areas, etc... so some may accommodate a tent, but not all. Which is why we are modifying the crosstrek to sleep in. I have already added a cargo box on the roof for $100 off of craigslist, and I built a foldable platform to extend the distance between rear seats and front seats. (where the rear passengers feet would go)... I used left over wood and materials I already had, just spent $8 at Home Depot to buy the hinges... I will post pictures soon for anyone who may want to see.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Free is Wal Mart parking lots, which have allowed a tent. There is a bathroom and food, too. Been there. It could be a tent on asphalt, so the car might be better. Most parks charge to park or camp overnight, I think.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for the input all! Note: we plan on trying to camp/sleep in as many FREE places as possible... National Parks, Rest Areas, etc... so some may accommodate a tent, but not all. Which is why we are modifying the crosstrek to sleep in. I have already added a cargo box on the roof for $100 off of craigslist, and I built a foldable platform to extend the distance between rear seats and front seats. (where the rear passengers feet would go)... I used left over wood and materials I already had, just spent $8 at Home Depot to buy the hinges... I will post pictures soon for anyone who may want to see.
Which is why you should opt for a RTT; although, based on your posts I think that's out of your price range? I agree with what was mentioned before, but you're going to get tired of unpacking every single day.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Free is Wal Mart parking lots, which have allowed a tent. There is a bathroom and food, too. Been there. It could be a tent on asphalt, so the car might be better. Most parks charge to park or camp overnight, I think.
That's not necessarily true regarding Wal Mart parking lots. I do not thing ANY of them allow a tent, and a number of them do not allow RV parking which is what you are referring to. For example, here in California they are very far and few between.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's not necessarily true regarding Wal Mart parking lots. I do not thing ANY of them allow a tent, and a number of them do not allow RV parking which is what you are referring to. For example, here in California they are very far and few between.
We have tent camped and RV camped in several Wal Mart parking lots over the years in Iowa. Trucks camp in the midwest Wallys all the time. Cali may differ.

·
Registered
257 Posts
We have tent camped and RV camped in several Wal Mart parking lots over the years in Iowa. Trucks camp in the midwest Wallys all the time. Cali may differ.
All states may differ...OP, just Google camping at Walmart and you should find a few links that have the appropriate information.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Picture would be nice. There are picture of a twin mattress fitting in the back of the Crosstrek so I know that is possible. Would be nice to know how it works in reality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will definitely be posting some pictures this weekend! The platform that my wife and I built gives us an extra 17" between the rear and front seats. (with the front seats all the way forward). I am 6'-2" and with the platform, I can lay on my back and stay completely straight. I am also using the Luggage Compartment Cover to hold our clothes/essentials bags, the cooler is going between front and rear seats, and the remainder of our non-essential gear is going in the cargo box on the roof.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will definitely be posting some pictures this weekend! The platform that my wife and I built gives us an extra 17" between the rear and front seats. (with the front seats all the way forward). I am 6'-2" and with the platform, I can lay on my back and stay completely straight. I am also using the Luggage Compartment Cover to hold our clothes/essentials bags, the cooler is going between front and rear seats, and the remainder of our non-essential gear is going in the cargo box on the roof.
Please please post pics, I have been thinking of this exact setup for camping this summer!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Also might want to consider a decent inflatable mattress with a valve that can accommodate attachments common with portable tire air compressors. Can deflate the mattress and roll it up for driving and the compressor will also help a great deal in the event of a flat tire. Also, I've thought about getting a big enough sheet of mosquito netting that I could drape it over the car rather than try to suspend it inside of the car. It would allow the option of keeping the windows and the hatch open when it's hot while still blocking access to the critters.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts