Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I don't often need to carry a load on the roof, can someone suggest some good after-market crossbars for a 2018 Crosstrek? I don't care if they lock or not, and they would only be used for a short trip like carrying an extension ladder... or a Christmas tree!

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Your best deal would probably be an used universal set from Craigslist or Kijiji since you are out East. I got a set of Yakima Lowriders for $100 which lock and use all of Yakima's accessories. The best part is that they are a heavy duty set of cross bars. You just need to find a set locally in the right length.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,373 Posts
One thing about cross bars (new and used), be sure to get a little grease on the screw mechanism that tightens down the clamps. You don't want those to rust up on you. My last ones (Subaru OEMs )are on permanently on our old Impreza (my son has it now). The ones I have now are quick and easy to remove, so I will be exercising that screw often.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Whats wrong with OEM bars? Thule makes good crossbars but may be more expensive than OEM. I would advise against the round bars. All the round bars i've seen start to sag in the center after a few uses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For my 2018 Crosstrek Premium I just ordered Yakima Railbar cross bars (formerly Whispbars) from etrailer.com. And also the Yakima Highroad bike holder. I'll report back next week when all is installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought these for mine. Does the job and way cheaper than from Subaru. And they do lock.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00GA2HKAU/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
I just installed these over the weekend. So far they seem great! I added my new roof basket last night and all is well so far. At first, I was a little hesitant on the CargoLoc bars but now that everything is installed, they seem super solid. I plastidipped them and then final coated them in Rustoleum matte black rust preventer paint to match the vehicle a little better and (hopefully) add some extra protection to them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After trying to live with the Subaru OEM racks on my 2008 Outback, there was no way I was going to spec my new Crosstrek with the OEM bars. The bars flex too much, and provide a curvature that makes bikes mounted tilt at a ridiculous angle. I also did not want to put my old Yakima Lowriders and round bars on, just because I wanted something different. I had initially looked at the Whispers for the Outback, but with them, I could not carry two kayaks because of the width (small and x-small bars). The Yakima Timberlines fit, but holy cow are the towers ugly the way they mount and sit on the factory rails. Enter the Yakima Railbars.
I just got my Yakima Railbars Friday and was able to install them yesterday. RackAttack had the Railbars for $305 for the set last weekend (normally $370), so I splurged and got them. The Crosstrek takes the large bar up front, and the medium bar in the rear. Am very happy with the install. They are quiet, and make the car look sleek. The bars are beefy, at almost 3" in width. I bought the new Yakima Highroad mount to haul my bikes, and they fit well and really hold to the bars well (using the T-slot makes it super simple). Cant wait for my Memorial Day trip to Asheville with the kayak and bike on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got the exact same setup as fuel98rider, Yakima Railbar crossbars and Yakima Highroad bike holder from etrailer.com. I just drove 100 miles round trip at 70mph with my 29er mountain bike on top to the trails, no issues with the rack. Wind noise is only slightly higher, almost unnoticeable even with the windows open. I mounted Highroad so that it clears the hatch by 8 inches when open. Very happy with the set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
@jet987 Just to confirm as fuel98rider stated, the Crossbars are a size medium in the rear and large up front? I have a 2018 crosstrek and am looking to get these crossbars as well. Do either of you guys happen to know the weight limit on these with a roof basket on top? Yakima says it depends on your factory rails but im wondering more for when they will start to sag. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea, I think those are the correct sizes. Not sure of the weight limit, but I carry 2 bikes at about 30lbs each on the Highroad and another Yakima bike holder.

@jet987 Just to confirm as fuel98rider stated, the Crossbars are a size medium in the rear and large up front? I have a 2018 crosstrek and am looking to get these crossbars as well. Do either of you guys happen to know the weight limit on these with a roof basket on top? Yakima says it depends on your factory rails but im wondering more for when they will start to sag. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The weight limit for the rails when moving is in the manual. I believe is 180. 200 comes to mind but I think that is for our Ascent. Now, parked the rails can take a lot more weight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’ve had right up to 150lbs with no problems. My two sit on top kayaks weigh 75lbs each, and the racks handled that with ease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pk9394

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’ve had right up to 150lbs with no problems. My two sit on top kayaks weigh 75lbs each, and the racks handled that with ease.

What type of crossbars do you have installed? I am looking for crossbars to put on my 2020 premium. I will be hauling two 52 pound sit on top fishing kayaks. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
41 Posts
What type of crossbars do you have installed? I am looking for crossbars to put on my 2020 premium. I will be hauling two 52 pound sit on top fishing kayaks. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ryan
Yakima Railbar. Large size up front, medium in the back. You can find them online usually cheaper than you can get them locally. I think I ordered mine from RackAttack when then had a summer 20% off sale.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use Rhino Rack Vortex Aero bar system with pair of 49 inch bars. Because I always carry three 14 feet touring kayaks in total weight around 150lb. Most other brand capacity is about 130lb, only Rhino and Yakima make the rack in 165lb max. I have no problem driving 80 mph with 3 kayaks on the roof for 300 miles trip. However, the MPG drop like crazy with these kayaks on the top!

I also use 49 inch bars instead of 46, because I need more estate to carry more, with 49 inch bar, I can have a roof box on one side and two snowboards mount or one bike mount on other side. 3 inch longer makes a big different.

Wind noise is notable with all bars, the only way to reduce it is install a fairing

Fairing I use is Yakima 34 inch

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can fit 4 bikes, strategically placed of course. All Yakima system with 3 Highrollers (older) and 1 Highroad(newest) bike tray.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Thanks,

Ryan
Hey Ryan, I am not a super expert, but I am in kayaking sport for over 3 years. I have many kayaks in the past. One thing I know is many of these kayaks weight listed on the web are Hull weight only, especially seat on top kayaks! with the seat, hatch, padding, pegs, rudder, mounts etc... will way over what they says! So, you should weight your boat to get the truth weight.

Most aftermarket racks capacity from 120 - 130lb, OEM bars are 150lb. if you only carry two kayaks and not a lot of stuffs, I think the OEM will do a good job and you can find them under $100 everywhere. I use Rack Vortex with 49 inch bars they are listed 165lb max

1 - 20 of 29 Posts